I purchased a T-Mobile branded handset in Australia and it works everywhere except in the U.K. I contacted T-Mobile and they want to charge me. Does anyone know how to unblock my handset. I am currently using a Vodoafone Australia SIM

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-09 08:23 AM
    When you say it works 'everywhere' what does that mean? USA? Canada? The UK is one of the only countries that actually block stolen phones from use in their country. Is the phone from Tmobile UK or Tmobile USA?

If you go into the Options Menu ->Advanced Options ->Sim Card -> Type mepd, what do all of the listed items say?
    09-27-09 01:02 PM
    It seems that you want to "unlock" the phone so that you can use the SIM card of another phone company other than your present Vodoafone Australia SIM.
    The phone will likely work in other countries other than Australia using the AU card but they will likely charge you international roaming charges.
    To avoid roaming charges then use the SIM of the local phone company: therefore you want to "unlock" the phone.

Unlocking will not change any features of the phone other than to use different phone company SIM's

The instruction (above) to type the mepd will say if the phone is presently "unlocked"; if unlocked it will say disabled; if it is "locked" it will give the company to whom the SIM is locked to.

Vodaphone is probably asking for a charge to give you the "unlock code". I don't know what the policy of Vodaphone is, but, perhaps if you tell their customer service that you are going to travel then they may give you the unlock code for free. If not then pay the nominal charge. (Charges should likely be no more than AU$25).
    There are reliable Internet companies that can give the unlock code for about AU$15-20 (do a search on this forum for 'unlock code')
    Last edited by mandony; 09-27-09 at 01:23 PM.
    09-27-09 01:18 PM
    You will need to unlock the device in order to use it in the UK
    10-01-09 06:39 PM
    Thanks for your reply

My handset works all over the world except the united kingdom.

As per your instructions below the listed items say disabled.

Is there any other way of unblocking the handset except for paying for the subsidy pin through t-mobile (UK)

Cheers
    [

When you say it works 'everywhere' what does that mean? USA? Canada? The UK is one of the only countries that actually block stolen phones from use in their country. Is the phone from Tmobile UK or Tmobile USA?

If you go into the Options Menu ->Advanced Options ->Sim Card -> Type mepd, what do all of the listed items say?
    Last edited by CDA85; 10-06-09 at 12:15 AM.
    10-05-09 07:58 PM
    Unfortunately not.

It sounds like your BB has been blocked in the UK. This is usually because the phone might have been claimed as lost or stolen. You would have to check with the carrier that the phone actually originated from (I assume in the UK), and they would have the best answer for you as to why your particular IMEI has been blocked or barred.

If they can't unblock it, then you're out of luck. Some of my clients buy barred phones from the UK and have me unlock them for use in the rest of the world..or before they put them up for sale on eBay. Works fine every, except the UK.

Sorry
    10-05-09 08:04 PM
    Hi there
    Thanks for your response.

I followed your instructions and the items all list disabled.

Yet the handset is still blocked in the UK yet works in other countries.

Cheers

It seems that you want to "unlock" the phone so that you can use the SIM card of another phone company other than your present Vodoafone Australia SIM.
    The phone will likely work in other countries other than Australia using the AU card but they will likely charge you international roaming charges.
    To avoid roaming charges then use the SIM of the local phone company: therefore you want to "unlock" the phone.

Unlocking will not change any features of the phone other than to use different phone company SIM's

The instruction (above) to type the mepd will say if the phone is presently "unlocked"; if unlocked it will say disabled; if it is "locked" it will give the company to whom the SIM is locked to.

Vodaphone is probably asking for a charge to give you the "unlock code". I don't know what the policy of Vodaphone is, but, perhaps if you tell their customer service that you are going to travel then they may give you the unlock code for free. If not then pay the nominal charge. (Charges should likely be no more than AU$25).
    There are reliable Internet companies that can give the unlock code for about AU$15-20 (do a search on this forum for 'unlock code')
    Last edited by CDA85; 10-06-09 at 12:15 AM.
    10-05-09 08:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD