I've only had my first blackberry, the Tour 9630, for about 4 months and I keep seeing all these articles and posts about unlock codes. I understand the point of unlocking a phone to be used on another network, but are there any benefits beyond that? And why are they so cheap? You would think unlocking a phone to get out of contracts or using another network would be expensive to get an unlock code for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 10:52 AM
    There are three main reasons why you might want to unlock your phone.

• Because you want to change the wireless company you get service from in the US, and want to keep your present phone.
    • You've changed to a different service provider and got a new phone, but you want to unlock your old phone so you can use it in an emergency just by swapping the SIM over if your main phone gives problems
    • Because you want to travel internationally and don't want to have to pay the very expensive international rates your present wireless company would charge you while internationally roaming.
    11-10-09 11:03 AM
    Actually, Verizon will unlock the phone for FREE if you meet certain terms about length of service and consistent bill paying. Just call their GLOBAL folks and ask for the code numbers - they walk you through the steps. Some folks just do it to be prepared in advance of foreign travel - no detriment to doing it.
    11-10-09 12:41 PM
    Mod edit......
    11-10-09 01:28 PM
    UniquePhones,

User has a question about unlocking. We don't need to spam the thread with your sales ad's
    11-10-09 01:32 PM
    Sprint has been shipping Tours unlocked.
    11-10-09 07:40 PM
    Ok, how can I tell if it is unlocked or not?

-frank

11-10-09 08:54 PM
    If the options menus are similar to those on the Storm, go to Options -> Advanced Options -> SIM -> type MEPD. A listing of features should appear. If next to "network" it says "inactive" the phone is unlocked.
    11-10-09 09:06 PM
    If the options menus are similar to those on the Storm, go to Options -> Advanced Options -> SIM -> type MEPD. A listing of features should appear. If next to "network" it says "inactive" the phone is unlocked.

And if it says disabled its locked?
    11-10-09 09:22 PM
    Nope. Disabled or Inactive next to 'Network' means you're unlocked.

Think of it this way...is your 'Network lock' active? If so, its locked

Let me know if you have any other questions!
    11-10-09 11:13 PM
    This is true, my Sprint Tour came to me unlocked. I think because they are selling it as an "international" phone, they just unlock it so not to get thousands of calls asking why their "international" phone isn't working out of the country.
    11-11-09 12:01 AM
    Not necessarily. Some devices plain and simple do not come locked, but those are very few to none.
    11-11-09 01:05 AM
    Mine is unlocked and came that way.

-frank

11-12-09 06:37 PM
    Sprint has been shipping Tours unlocked.
    This! I called em up trying to get my Tour unlocked and the guy said it was already unlocked. He said the newer phones within the last couple months have been shipping unlocked. I put in my work SIM from my at&t phone into my Sprint Tour and it worked.
    11-12-09 06:44 PM
    After unlocking a phone, where will this "unlocked" info be stored? If you wipe a phone to upgrade OS, will the phone still be unlocked?
    Last edited by kanai; 11-12-09 at 11:59 PM.
    11-12-09 11:15 PM
    Its on the mainboard. Wiping it or reloading a os does nothing to the unlocking procedure.

11-12-09 11:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD