Hello awesome CB nation:

I called my operator (Orange) to ask for my MEP. After scratching their heads for over 20 min (on hold, nice music blowing in my ears) they said "sorry, we don't have it and don't give it - you are an Orange customer and you cannot have it"

Now, before I continue with this, I wish to know if my time and effort will be worth it? How important is the unlock MEP code which will (hopefully) remove the NETWORK lock? What will change once all fields are "Disabled", including the currently "Enabled" Network field?

Basically, I wish to know what will change for me, so I can better demand it, if it is worth it

Enjoy a lovely week ahead
    07-06-09 03:47 AM
    Basically, I wish to know what will change for me, so I can better demand it, if it is worth it
    I always have my phones unlocked on principle.

The only real benefit to unlocking your phone is the ability to use alternate carrier's SIM cards. With a locked phone, you can't use other SIM cards.

For instance, I live in Los Angeles. If I fly to Europe tonight, I can get off the plane in London, Paris, Madrid and access my carrier's European network (T-Mobile) without incident on a locked phone. But assume I'm traveling on the cheap and want to buy a local discounter carrier's prepaid SIM card and use that service while I'm traveling ... no go with a locked phone. Locked phones are locked to your carrier's network.

Or alternately, let's say I travel to a country that T-Mobile doesn't service. Well I'm out of luck with a locked phone. With an unlocked phone, I can use any carriers SIM card anytime I wish.

It's my phone. I paid for it. I want the ability to use it wherever and with whomever I want. An unlocked phone allows me that flexibility.

If you never travel, this isn't really anything to worry about.
    07-06-09 04:05 AM
    Thank you, berryite for the quick and detailed answer.

This is exactly my problem - I am a frequent traveler and I prefer to use local prepaid cards rather than pay crazy roaming for my data. Last trip to Paris set me back roughly 200 Euro in data for one weekend of maps and email. Ever since, a local prepaid is #1 after landing and passport control.

Thanks again - I'll pay Orange a visit after office hours today
    07-06-09 04:29 AM
    Don't be so sure yet! If u want data services (even gprs/edge for browsing), some carriers require some sort of contract.
    My friend traveled to India w/unlocked BB and getting gsm for voice was no prob. But all carriers denied Internet access on BB on prepaid.
    It has to do with service books and for some reason, they don't send / have provision on prepaid.

check ur destination's availabilty

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 04:59 AM
    There are places you can get an unlock code from besides your carrier. http://horizonwirelessonline.com is one of them.
    07-06-09 11:17 AM
    Thank you for the link, but I see no reason why I should pay for something my operator is forcing on me, rather than have them fix their mistake for free?
    07-06-09 11:31 AM
    Well, that's totally up to you. You were questioned if your time and effort was worth it in this case so I was sure to give you an alternative.
    07-06-09 11:33 AM
    It is also easier to sell an unlocked device when that time comes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 01:32 PM
    Does Orange even let you have it? I didn't think they would let you unlock your phone thru them.
    07-06-09 01:43 PM
    If you plan on using the phone with another carrier then get the unlock code. I get mine unlocked just cause with no particular reasoning behind it.
    07-06-09 01:46 PM
    It is the phone that you purchased from them and you have every right to
    have the code to unlock it. I wouldn't accept that from them.

I see this happen a lot on here where people say that Rogers won't give
    them codes. It's your right to have that unlock code. You bought the phone
    to use it where ever you'd like and you're not obligated to use their ridiculous
    roaming fees. I hope you get that code.
    07-06-09 01:49 PM
    You can lock your mobile phone with Orange. They will charge 20 and can take up to 28days for them to either post or email the code. You do need to have had your contract for at least three months thought... They cant really refuse you...Unless you dont pay your bills lol
    07-06-09 08:00 PM
    Orange also won't give you an unlock code unless youve had the handset for 3 months or longer - I've had a contract with them for years and they do my broadband/home phone contract. VERY frustrating!
    07-09-09 05:24 AM
    Orange also won't give you an unlock code unless youve had the handset for 3 months or longer - I've had a contract with them for years and they do my broadband/home phone contract. VERY frustrating!
    07-09-09 05:47 AM
    1). Unlocking your phone simply means that you can use SIM cards from other GSM operators. Once unlocked your phone has the potential to use any voice or data service.

2). Since 9/11 ALL operators now require a name and address in the target country BEFORE they will issue any sort of SIM card - even PAYG. This applies equally to data-plans.

3). Some countries (UK, US) are beginning to introduce SIM only voice and data-plan deals. Mostly these are available as pay nonthle/cancel monthy deals with no phone included.

I have a data plan in Switzerland, where I live and another the O2 in the UK called Simplicity 600 (600 minutes, 600 SMSs, UKP 19.70 per month). This is billed to one of my UK properties.

Additinally I have an at&t phone billed to my son's US home and if I wish I can have an add-on package as defined here Feature Packages | AT&T.

This gives me 3 data-plans in 3 countries BUT in each case I was obliged to give a valid address in that country and had to wait while the SIM card and plan was delivered to that address. This is therefore no use of you are on a day trip to France.

Additionally, my Swiss phone gives me limited data (incliding email use) for CHF 28,- per month and O2 charges me UKP 4.00 per Mb (including email) whilst in the US or Europe.

I have extensively researched this subject and currently know of no other way of achiveiving foreign data services.
    07-09-09 07:10 AM
    You can lock your mobile phone with Orange. They will charge 20 and can take up to 28days for them to either post or email the code. You do need to have had your contract for at least three months thought... They cant really refuse you...Unless you dont pay your bills lol

If your phone gets replaced under warranty you also have to pay another 20 to get the replacement unlocked as well.... they waived it for me as an orange premier customer but most will have to pay.
    Stupid? yes
    07-09-09 08:56 AM
    2). Since 9/11 ALL operators now require a name and address in the target country BEFORE they will issue any sort of SIM card - even PAYG. This applies equally to data-plans.
    Are you sure about this? In the US I have 3 prepaid phones (TMo, Boost, ATT), none of which required an address to get and I have a Liechtenstein based United Mobile SIM which doesn't either
    07-09-09 09:06 AM
    Are you sure about this? In the US I have 3 prepaid phones (TMo, Boost, ATT), none of which required an address to get and I have a Liechtenstein based United Mobile SIM which doesn't either
    I am as sure as I can be. I have tried to buy PAYG SIM cards in a number of countries (France, Germany, UK, USA, UK and Switzerland) all have required some sort of address verification.

If you can find a way to get round this then I would find it most useful indeed.

Prior to 9/11 I was able to walk into a Swisscom shop or the post office heree in Switzerland and buy a SIM card without an address or ID. Since 9/11 You need ID to buy the cards and then they verify ths before OTA enabling the card a few hours later.

In the US I tried to buy an AT&T SIM card on the web and reasonably could not since they needed a postal address to send it to but my son went into an AT&T store and was unable to buy a card for cash. They insisted on a credit card that obviously gave his address.

I do not believe that there is any way round this today. However I'd love to be wrong.
    07-09-09 09:44 AM
    Well, in the US I bought an ATT prepaid sim less than 2 weeks ago from an ATT corp owned store, they did ask for an address, but no ID to prove it. I paid cash for it. I could have easily given a fake, but actual address. I've bought probably a dozen Boost mobile (not GSM) SIM cards from authorized dealers (not Sprint corp owned stores) over the last few years with no address required. I think I usually get my TMo US SIMs from ebay, which I pay for with paypal and get delivered to my address, but they usually get preregistered by the seller and don't have my address associated with the account. I can easily walk in to any Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Walgreens, etc, and pick up a prepaid phone kit (phone + SIM) and refill cards with cash and when I register online or over the phone can use a fake address if I wanted. Theres no verification process involved. Ive never needed to produce an ID or Social Security Number to buy any prepaid.

The last time I was in Europe was 04 or 05 and I bought a SIM on ebay. I'd check if they have my info on file, but the United Mobile website has been down for a while, probably shut down operations. I've never even logged in to the site or talked to them on the phone, so I'm fairly certain they don't have my info.
    07-09-09 10:56 AM
    There is an email address which deals with stuff higher than customer services...google it..and they are really good with any problems and complaints you have and deal with it pretty quickly. So if you dont want to pay thats one way around it...
    07-09-09 04:37 PM
    ^^ for orange that is...
    07-09-09 04:55 PM
    Unlocking is the best thing ever for a phone.
    07-09-09 06:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD