I just bought a refurbed 8320 on Craigslist and want to give it to my son who will be traveling to Europe soon. The unit was a replacement for a defect and still had all of the stickers and tape on it. I was going to just purchase the unlock code online but decided to seek some advice here. I've been with T-Mobile forever and have never had to call customer service for anything. Is CS the place to call? If not, who do I call and what do I say?

Your input and advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    05-12-09 01:32 PM
    yes, it is free to request for an unlock code from t-mobile. just tell them that you are going out of country and would like to request for an unlock code within the next week, and they will surely help you out. All they need is a mobile number that is associated with t-mobile, IMEI number of the phone, phone model and make.. and an email address so your unlock code can be emailed to you within the next 24-48hours. but forsure you will get the unlock code next day.
    05-12-09 02:08 PM
    I sent you a PM, i hope it helps
    05-12-09 02:21 PM
    I'm gona try it myself too.
    05-13-09 09:55 PM
    I guarentee you guys that it will work... i've done this many times myself.
    05-14-09 02:58 AM
    Typically the phone has to be in use for 90 days before they will unlock it for you, but if you explain that you're going out of the country soon, they may make an exception.
    05-14-09 09:22 AM
    I'm trying to unlock an 8320 I bought on Ebay. Since I'm not a TMobile customer, they will only send me the Unlock code if I fax them a receipt showing I paid full retail value. If I was a customer, they said they would email me it with 24 hours. Any TMobile customers wanna help me? This phone is brand new, but currently locked so I can't pop my ATT sim in it. Any and all help would be appreciated...
    05-14-09 11:45 AM
    its not 24 hours, its within 2 weeks is the policy and they will not give it to you at all. Just pay an unlock service to do it and save some time. 3-15 bucks really is not much at all.
    05-14-09 01:13 PM
    Typically the phone has to be in use for 90 days before they will unlock it for you, but if you explain that you're going out of the country soon, they may make an exception.

Not the phone, but you actually using TMO service for 90 days consecutively. I got the unlock code for my 8900 after 3 days use, so obviously 90 days WITH the phone is not true and was clarified by a rep.
    05-14-09 01:14 PM
    2weeks to receive the unlock code from t-mobile?! i dont think so... takes a day for me. i remember calling them and requesting for the unlock code, it was around 7PM PST and i received it 8AM PST next day...
    05-14-09 01:47 PM
    24 hours for me. I have unlocked three handsets with Tmo.

Some reps will tell you there is a consecutive use requirement, though I do not believe that it is etched in stone.
    05-14-09 01:51 PM
    2weeks to receive the unlock code from t-mobile?! i dont think so... takes a day for me. i remember calling them and requesting for the unlock code, it was around 7PM PST and i received it 8AM PST next day...
    Any chance you can call Tmobile for me and get me the unlock code?
    05-14-09 01:51 PM

I do think so, remember you don't work for them, nor are you the ONLY Tmo customer. You can't base TMO's policies on only your experiences as that is very ignorant. They say up to two weeks because not everyone at TMO works at lightning speed. I have had family members get the code 8 days after requesting it, and others 1-2 days.
    05-14-09 02:03 PM
    Any chance you can call Tmobile for me and get me the unlock code?

I have no idea why anyone would do this for you because they need the IMEI, and like i said just pay 3 bucks and get it done. Is it really that hard!?!?
    05-14-09 02:06 PM
    Thanks for all the input.

I just called T-Mobile and after going through their menu of options, I got to speak to a customer service rep. I've had my 8320 for a few months and didn't tell them that the unlock code was for a different 8320. When I purchased my existing phone (also from Craigslist) I logged on to the T-Mobile web site and changed my device to the Curve. So as far as they know, I've had this BB for a few months.

Long story short - it's being processed and they said it will take less than 24 hours.

I'll post again when I receive it.

Again, thanks everybody!
    05-14-09 02:19 PM
    I have no idea why anyone would do this for you because they need the IMEI, and like i said just pay 3 bucks and get it done. Is it really that hard!?!?
    Well, I can provide someone that is a TMobile customer the IMEI number...

Where can I get it done for $3?
    05-14-09 02:34 PM
    Well, I can provide someone that is a TMobile customer the IMEI number...

Where can I get it done for $3?

Just google it, or PM me.
    05-14-09 02:42 PM
    Just google it, or PM me.
    Crackberry won't let me PM you (cause I'm new), and I haven't been able to find any $3 services. Maybe you can PM me...
    05-14-09 03:34 PM
    Got the e-mail early this morning from T-Mobile with the unlock code and complete instructions. So for me, it took almost 2 days but indeed, it was free!

Thanks everyone, for all your input.
    05-16-09 11:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD