This may sound dumb but I am a newbee. What is the purpose of unlocking the BB Storm. I have one from Verizon and am very happy with it but wondered what unlocking it would do for me or it's functionality.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-09 01:15 PM
    This may sound dumb but I am a newbee. What is the purpose of unlocking the BB Storm. I have one from Verizon and am very happy with it but wondered what unlocking it would do for me or it's functionality.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    If you plan not to leave verizon unlocking the unit will not change the functionality. I unlocked one so I could use it on AT&T. The other one I have is still locked and I used it on verizon
    08-14-09 01:25 PM
    like the above post says, unlocking it will not change any function of the phone..

Unlocking the phone allows you to change providers. Once the phone is unlocked, you will be able to use any SIM Card as you wish.. However, the phone still can not be used on a different CDMA carrier as most have a strict policy of not activating phones not sold by them..
    08-14-09 02:56 PM
    To add to the two above posts: Typically an unlocked phone has a higher resale than a locked phone due to the buyer's flexibility with choosing carriers. If you sell your old phones on ebay whenever you obtain a new one (as I do) this will be an attractive selling point.
    08-14-09 03:01 PM
    To follow up on what others said: Some people believe unlocking means the same as jailbreaking an Iphone or "hacking" into the system to add or modify features. It does not. It is nothing more than "unlocking" the phone to be used with GSM carriers.
    08-14-09 03:08 PM
    Thanks all!! Makes sense that you only need to unlock if you are going to sell the device. Thanks,
    08-15-09 04:09 AM
    Actually, while what everyone else has stated above is true, the biggest reason that actual Verizon customers would unlock their Storms is so that when they go on business or vacation (e.g. overseas), they can simply plug in a SIM card from a local carrier and use the voice plan from that carrier while they are away from home. For example, let's say you go to France... if your phone is unlocked, you can purchase a SIM card from any french carrier and then simply purchase prepaid phone cards for use in your phone. Now, you can call locally and you pay the local rates, not Verizon's roaming fees.
    08-15-09 04:34 AM
    To follow up on what others said: Some people believe unlocking means the same as jailbreaking an Iphone or "hacking" into the system to add or modify features. It does not. It is nothing more than "unlocking" the phone to be used with GSM carriers.
    Well said.
    08-15-09 05:51 AM
    Just expanding on this point, VZW will be happy to provide the unlock code to their customers, for free. You only need to pay to have your Storm unlocked (by a third party) if you are not a VZW customer. Unlike jailbreaking, unlocking is not violating the Terms of Service or hacking or anything like that. In fact, the Library of Congress made a specific ruling that unlocking your GSM phone is not a violation of the DMCA law, as some providers had tried to assert.
    08-16-09 04:52 PM
    Just expanding on this point, VZW will be happy to provide the unlock code to their customers, for free. You only need to pay to have your Storm unlocked (by a third party) if you are not a VZW customer. Unlike jailbreaking, unlocking is not violating the Terms of Service or hacking or anything like that. In fact, the Library of Congress made a specific ruling that unlocking your GSM phone is not a violation of the DMCA law, as some providers had tried to assert.
    So if I contact VZW they will provide me with an unlock code? If this is true then sweeet! A 3rd party will charge anywhere from $9 to $50 to give an unlock code. And at that I still have to do the unlocking myself. It's simple process. No need to spend the money on it. Thanks!
    08-17-09 04:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD