Hello everyone, I am a new user of Blackberry 8900. I haven't gotten the phone yet, but will be in a day or two. I've been using the 2G iPhone ever since it came out and sold it yesterday in order to have enough funds for the 8900. Any who, my question is, what should I do FIRST once I get my hands on the 8900.

Usually, whenever I get a new phone, i customize the themes etc but it might be a little different for the BB's?

Would I have to unlock the phone to be able to use 3rd party apps like the iPhone?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance !
    06-02-09 10:11 AM
    Upgrade the OS to either .206 or .231

mainly for better battery life..
    06-02-09 10:18 AM
    I recommend you use it completely unchanged for a few days. If you've never used a BlackBerry before, it will be quite different. Resist the temptation to try to "fix it." Get used to how it works, then you'll be able to appreciate how to make it better. And you'll be a lot less likely to waste your time and energy bricking it and then having to recover.

You don't have to unlock it, unless you want to use it on another GSM carrier. You will be able to install any compatible 3rd party apps without any special steps.

Be careful of themes. Incompatible themes can make your phone inoperative. And just because a theme-maker says it's compatible doesn't mean it is. Theme-makers make mistakes too.

I highly recommend the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my signature. Reed McLay created it. It's a terrific OS tutorial, as well as illustrated guide to how to make the best use of your memory.

Be sure to check out the How To and FAQ Forum under BlackBerry Help. It's a great resource.

Welcome to CrackBerry!
    06-02-09 10:22 AM
    Also check out the 101 lectures, I have a link to them in my signature. You can also find them through the Blackberry Help menu option as well.
    06-02-09 11:08 AM
    No "jailbreaking" required.

This is not an iToy and RIM doesn't put rediculous restrictions on their devices.

That said, Aristile is absolutely correct. The 101 lectures should be the first stop of any new BB user.

One other thing you'll want to do AT ONCE is get a screen protector. The 8900s screen is a bare LCD and is therefore far less scratch resistent than you're used to.
    BSE and ZAGG are some of the toughest, but I prefer the Bodyguardz for its clarity.
    But any universal "cut-to-size" protector is better than nothing.

This should get you pointed in the right direction.

And welcome to the Blackberry family! You won't regret it

EDIT: if you have any questions or problems, don't bother calling customer service. Come straight here and Pinstack.com, another BB forum that I am - and I'm sure many others here are - part of

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Xader; 06-02-09 at 01:22 PM.
    06-02-09 01:17 PM
    Hello, first of all, thanks to all the replies! I finally got the phone last night and added the data plan to it immediately ! I am slowly getting used to the interface, but can tell you for a fact, keypad is amazing fast response compared to iPhone. Once the weekend hits, I'll follow everyone's advice and make the BB just to my liking.
    06-03-09 11:00 AM
    I think the thing that made me fall in love with blackberry is the amount of possibilities when it comes to customizing.

You can get different color bezels, trackballs and back covers. You can get themes that fir your style, most are free and if they are not then you can easily make your own and have it be exactly what you want.

Apps are somewhat limited but you have to remember that blackberrys are not intended to be toys. You're not going to find an app to shake a baby to death or anything of that sort. You will however find apps that help you manage your time or help you get more work done efficiently.

06-03-09 11:44 AM
    ...blackberrys are not intended to be toys. You're not going to find an app to shake a baby to death or anything of that sort. You will however find apps that help you manage your time or help you get more work done efficiently.

+1

06-04-09 12:55 PM
    well said lol
    06-05-09 03:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD