What are the benefits for unlocking a Blackberry 9800 Torch?
    12-10-10 12:03 PM
    Look here, this may answer some or all of your questions.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f219/why-unlock-558804/
    12-10-10 12:05 PM
    Aside from the obvious, using the phone on a different carrier, I find that when selling the phone, for whatever reason, unlocking adds significant value as opposed to a device locked to a certain carrier. It's well worth the investment.
    If you're looking for a reputable place (assuming that AT&T won't provide an unlock code), BerryReview has an unlock store that provides unlock codes for $9 and has a great turnaround time. Cheers mate!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-10 12:25 PM
    Despite the fact that this has been discussed ad nauseaum:

1) The device can be used on any GSM carrier

2) If traveling you can buy a GSM SIM card at your destination
    and avoid the hefty international calling rates

3) If you decide to switch carriers you can take your phone avoiding the outlay of
    cash involved with buying a new device.

4) When selling the phone unlocking increases the potential buyer pool by not
    limiting them to only those on the carrier the device is branded to.

5) Unlocked phones can and usually sell at a premium. (higher selling price.)

A simple search would have turned up no less than 200 posts that covered this.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 12-10-10 at 01:23 PM.
    12-10-10 01:20 PM
    Okay, I was prepared for some trolling.

Does unlocking your phone allow apps to be loaded on your Blackberry that are blocked by AT&T?

I want to install MapQuest4, but it won't allow me. Can unlocking the device help this problem?
    12-10-10 03:42 PM
    Okay, I was prepared for some trolling.

Does unlocking your phone allow apps to be loaded on your Blackberry that are blocked by AT&T?

I want to install MapQuest4, but it won't allow me. Can unlocking the device help this problem?
    No. Unlocking only allows the device to be used with a SIM card from another carrier. For example, if you have a 9780 on Rogers network in Canada, unlock it and put in an AT&T SIM card, you will have to have the AT&T service books sent to the device before it will work, therefore blocking apps that AT&T doesn't want you to use. Unlocking will not solve your issue.
    12-10-10 03:58 PM
    SAVE MONEY - Don't let your carrier restrict you when you travel abroad. You will save $100's on roaming fees. Having an unlocked phone gives you the ability to purchase a SIM card from the destination that you are in, making it less expensive from what your carrier charges.

FREEDOM TO CHOOSE ANY CARRIER - Not happy with your current provider? You will have the choice of going with any service provider that supports your phone. In this case, using your current unlocked BlackBerry on a new provider will avoid the hassle to purchase a new handset.

INCREASE RESALE VALUE - The value of your Blackberry will be worth a lot more and be easier to sell because it is not restricted for use with only one wireless provider - anyone will be able to use it, allowing for a wider range of prospective buyers.
    12-10-10 04:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD