I just called ATT to get the unlock code for my BB torch and they are saying that they do not give out unlock codes for the torch.

Can anyone confirm this?
    12-14-10 03:27 PM
    i'm guessing its not in carriers' best interest to unlock their phones so you can go to a different company... but unlock codes are so cheap nowadays. i usually grab em from ebay for like a dollar.
    12-14-10 03:35 PM
    Interesting as it was at one point an FCC regulation that they carrier provide them for free if you called for them. When did this change?
    12-14-10 03:39 PM
    I've done it in the past with my razor with AT@T. It took me several phone calls and some complaining to extract it from them. Each time they promised to email but nothing happened. After I spoke to "supervisor" and took his name the emailed me code and instructions.
    12-14-10 04:05 PM
    12-14-10 04:07 PM
    Do you have to give them a reason to unlock your phone or u just ask for it? Maybe you didnt give a good enough reason
    12-14-10 11:24 PM
    Interesting as it was at one point an FCC regulation that they carrier provide them for free if you called for them. When did this change?

Oh im not sure, im in Canada, so im not sure of any US regulations on this. i just know that carriers here have never given them out as far as i know.

but like i said, you can grab one for a dollar on ebay, no need to pay $9.95 like some of the other posters have suggested.
    12-15-10 05:17 AM
    As I stated in another thread with the same title. I got mine from AT&T but I have also been a customer since 89. Just called them up and said i was leaving the country for a business trip and needed an unlock code. Of course they wanted me to buy there international plan, but it's way to expensive.
    12-15-10 07:29 AM
    Carriers in Canada will start charging $50 for unlocking their phones. That's crazy!
    12-15-10 10:41 AM
    Carriers in Canada will start charging $50 for unlocking their phones. That's crazy!
    what else is new, carriers here are rip-offs.

Noone should pay more than $2 to unlock a berry. Otherwise its a ripoff.
    12-15-10 11:24 AM
    They will give u the code is the phone is not specific to that carrier only. I got the code for my 9700 from them but not for the torch. I got the torch one for free from berrymods.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-10 11:48 AM
    They will give u the code is the phone is not specific to that carrier only. I got the code for my 9700 from them but not for the torch. I got the torch one for free from berrymods.com
    I was using Nokia E71x for a while, even got a replacement phone when the first one died on me. Got the unlock codes right away for both phones. E71x is also a phone exclusive to AT&T (although you can buy an unlocked E71 NAM, it's still not quite the same phone, close enough but not the same). In your case it might be either an account specific issue (i.e. they would give away the code but not right away) or something specific to the Torch (likewise they don't give codes for Samsung Captivate till next spring or so due to some sort of agreement btw AT&T and Samsung).
    Anyways, it's good that you ended up getting a free code from whoever it is.
    12-15-10 12:31 PM
    what else is new, carriers here are rip-offs.

Noone should pay more than $2 to unlock a berry. Otherwise its a ripoff.
    Not a ripoff my friend. We offer the best service and support possible when unlocking your phone. Plus very fast delivery.
    12-15-10 01:11 PM
    Do you have to give them a reason to unlock your phone or u just ask for it? Maybe you didnt give a good enough reason
    You shouldn't need a "good enough" reason to get an unlock code. There is absolutely no reason AT&T shouldn't give one. Purchasing one should be an absolute last resort, you shouldn't pay anything for something the provider should be giving you for free.
    12-15-10 02:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD