Hey there,

I have a blackberry 8900 on orange uk, I am looking to get it unlocked and was wondering if anyone can offer any advice? There are so many options out there I am wondering if I can do it myself for free or whether there may be some fraudsters out there.

Any responses would be welcome, I have searched but only american websites get recommended horizon wireless etc....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-09 05:38 PM
    hey mate, I am on AT&T and all I did was called AT&T on sunday and told them I am going to Mexico for a few weeks and need my sim unlocked. She put me on hold (1-2mins) and gave me the code.

(and its true I am going to mexico....)
    09-30-09 05:55 PM
    Hey there,

I have a blackberry 8900 on orange uk, I am looking to get it unlocked and was wondering if anyone can offer any advice? There are so many options out there I am wondering if I can do it myself for free or whether there may be some fraudsters out there.

Any responses would be welcome, I have searched but only american websites get recommended horizon wireless etc....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    We can help you unlock your Blackberry 100% Guaranteed!
    10-01-09 02:00 AM
    There is a new forum on Crackberry just for unlocking your phone. Check it out here http://forums.crackberry.com/f157/

This should be your first stop for all your unlocking needs.
    10-01-09 03:37 AM
    I just had my 8900 for 1 week now from Orange UK and just thought I'd check if it was locked or not..... IT's NOT LOCKED.... HUH??.. I tried also the wife's O2 SIM card and it makes / receives calls etc. so I guess I'm truly unlocked. Not complaining but surprized since my old 8320 was locked to Orange.
    10-02-09 02:39 PM
    Yeah I've had my 8900 for about a week and I showed it to a guy at working and he said 'where is the branding on the unit!'. There is no Orange branding on the actual handset at all. Maybe mine is unlocked too?
    10-02-09 05:29 PM
    I know this is going to sound really dumb (my excuse is that i'm a total BB noob LOL), but is there anyway to tell if your BB is unlocked apart from trying different carriers SIM's in it?
    I'm on Orange UK, had it about a week, no Orange markings anywhere on the handset.

Mr Pogle
    10-02-09 06:30 PM
    I know this is going to sound really dumb (my excuse is that i'm a total BB noob LOL), but is there anyway to tell if your BB is unlocked apart from trying different carriers SIM's in it?
    I'm on Orange UK, had it about a week, no Orange markings anywhere on the handset.

Mr Pogle
    Yes you can, you can go to Options/Advanced Options/SIM card and type the letters mepd.

You will see the Personalization screen.

If you see:
    Network Disabled or Inactive....it means your phone is unlocked
    Network Enabled or Active....it means your phone is locked
    10-02-09 06:49 PM
    First up, my apologies to the OP....... I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but this appears relevant to the topic.

Thank you cellunlocknet for your reply....

Yes you can, you can go to Options/Advanced Options/SIM card and type the letters mepd.

You will see the Personalization screen.

If you see:
    Network Disabled or Inactive....it means your phone is unlocked
    Network Enabled or Active....it means your phone is locked
    Okay, so my handset shows everything as 'disabled' (unlocked), am I correct in saying that I can use any (PAYG) SIM, from any carrier, from any country in my Blackberry and it'll work just fine (but only as a phone)?
    I understand that as I pay Orange UK for my Blackberry Internet (as well as my pay monthly package)I would only be able to use the Blackberry as a 'phone' if it had another carriers SIM in it. Is this correct also?

Mr Pogle
    10-03-09 03:31 AM
    Yes and Yes. The BlackBerry Service doesn't carry over.
    10-03-09 11:15 AM
    First up, my apologies to the OP....... I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but this appears relevant to the topic.

Thank you cellunlocknet for your reply....

Okay, so my handset shows everything as 'disabled' (unlocked), am I correct in saying that I can use any (PAYG) SIM, from any carrier, from any country in my Blackberry and it'll work just fine (but only as a phone)?
    I understand that as I pay Orange UK for my Blackberry Internet (as well as my pay monthly package)I would only be able to use the Blackberry as a 'phone' if it had another carriers SIM in it. Is this correct also?

Mr Pogle
    Yes you are absolutely right, You can use any SIM card in the phone at any moment and the phone will work.
    10-03-09 12:15 PM
    I think the only thing which won't work on there would be the Blackberry Internet service (Push e-mail etc.) - However you should still be able to access the internet using the regular browser - to get yahoo mail etc - just uses up data. This was a real good find for me as I'm a service engineer travelling the world, so it's nice to know I can just get hold of a local SIM and pop it in there to save on costs while oversees. Will give it a try the next few weeks.
    I downloaded a copy of RIM's MFI Multiloader to unlock an older 8320 but can't get that to work anyways.
    10-03-09 03:25 PM
    Some good replies on here...... thanks guys.
    I'm glad people on here take the time to help out us noobies, and in plain language too It really makes a difference.

Thank you

Mr Pogle
    10-03-09 05:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD