Ok I've spent a ton of hours searching for the answer, and I have not gotten a clear cut answer. I have a 8330 USCC BB that I bought off my roommate and now I want to use it on Verizon. I know they are both CDMA, however I've heard you cannot unlock these types because they do not use sim cards. I went to tons of unlocking websites and I cannot find a USCC 8330 phone option...Is this because its a CDMA format?

Long story short I want too use my phone....HELP!!!!
    10-28-09 04:56 AM
    If the Blackberry 8330 is compatible with Verizon's network, it can be unlocked however, not all CDMA network bandwidths are compatible. Sprint & Verizon are both CDMA carriers but use different operating frequencies so their devices are not interchangeable with each other.

The ESN # located underneath the battery on your device will tell the carrier if your device can be registered on their network. If you call Verizon Wireless with that ESN #, they can advise you properly.

If it is compatible, you will then have to have the internal program memory flashed to have Verizon's network programs & protocols installed. This process may be expensive if you have to have a third party do it for you.

I suggest picking up a used Verizon Blackberry device. I've seen a VZW branded 8330 go for $50.

Good luck!
    10-28-09 05:50 AM
    If the Blackberry 8330 is compatible with Verizon's network, it can be unlocked however, not all CDMA network bandwidths are compatible. Sprint & Verizon are both CDMA carriers but use different operating frequencies so their devices are not interchangeable with each other.
    it has nothing to do with the freqs. Sprint operates primarily in the PCS band of 1900MHz while VZW operates on that plus the "incumbent" 850MHz. All their phones are spec'd to operate on those freqs. The issue lies in the back end programming which you noted. In the end, I agree that it's time and money better spent getting a used VZW 8330 than jumping through whatever hoops may be necessary with USCC device. I imagine they don't do that at the stores...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 08:57 AM
    All BlackBerry 8330s can operate on VZW's network. Sprint's, too. The problem is that the companies will not allow them on their networks without inspection/reflash.

You do not "unlock" a CDMA phone because there is nothing to unlock.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 08:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD