Im a bb virgin but have spent the last week reading tips tricks and forums. My question is what is the advantage to getting my 9700 unlocked? My current service is with AT&T. My understanding is that an unlocked phone can be used on any carrier but im not sure what the advantage would be.
    Thank you
    12-29-09 11:43 AM
    Getting it unlocked means you can use any carriers sim card in it. Good if you travel out of the country or some day you want to sell it.
    12-29-09 11:47 AM
    So if I unlocked it and went to lets say GUAM, and lets say that AT&T didnt have coverage in Guam, would I have to do anything to my phone to be able to use it there?

Also If I unlocked it now, would I see any effect in my local area or would it be the same as it always is. Dont mean to be a pain im just trying to figure out the advantages of unlocking. (I love this phone)
    12-29-09 12:11 PM
    You would only be able to use it if you have a sim card from a local carrier in where ever you travel. An no as long as you have your att sim card in the phone, in an att area you wont see any difference i have my sprint tour unlocked, still get great coverage. With spirnt.
    12-29-09 12:17 PM
    Advantage is being able to use it on most any gsm network you wish to.
    12-29-09 09:01 PM
    Advantage is being able to use it on most any gsm network you wish to.
    +1
    I have an unlocked 9700 on the Bell Mobility network in Canada and have a Rogers SIM card for when I travel to the only 2 regions in the Country that aren't covered by Bell's new 3G HSPA+ network. Funny thing with Bell, is that they have no 2G GSM fallback, so it's all or nothing!

/ES
    12-29-09 09:24 PM
    Yes both Telus and Bell started their gsm network from the HSPA standpoint and not EDGE.
    12-29-09 09:52 PM
    Yes both Telus and Bell started their gsm network from the HSPA standpoint and not EDGE.
    Ironically, I travelled to Regina the week after I purchased my BB 9700, and guess which Canadian province has no HSPA+ coverage? :-) SaskTel is Bell's partner in Saskatchewan and should have 3G coverage by mid-2010. An unlocked SIM phone is a great travelling companion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 10:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD