If it's locked through AT&T, I need to have the AT&T SIM card in the phone when unlocking it?

No threads/posts really say that and I can't believe that when selling them, the seller would give away their SIM card when they would probably need it for their own new phone.

This is what the AT&T lady told me when she gave me the unlock code. If this is true, how much are the SIM cards, I'll have to go buy one as I don't know anyone with AT&T services.
    05-28-09 11:03 AM
    your best bet is to contact the closest at&t store, they have sims on deck and i think they're about $30 if im not mistaken
    05-28-09 11:08 AM
    Unlocking does not require a SIM card, I have unlocked my Curve without one.
    05-28-09 11:10 AM
    I unlocked three BBs without having SIM cards in any of them. Granted, they were T-Mobile BBs, but I don't think that would matter. *shrug*
    05-28-09 11:15 AM
    Even the online directions to unlock a phone say to insert the SIM card. It just doesn't say which one.
    05-28-09 11:48 AM
    I don't see why you need a ATT sim. But if you do. Go to a ATT store, find a salesman and say something like "i bought this phone and don't think it's getting a signal, can I try one of your sim cards to make sure?" Then unlock it right there on the spot. To bad you're not close to me. I have a sim card from every carrier almost.
    05-28-09 01:08 PM
    I actually just found out my sister has AT&T. I thought she had Verizon. If it doesn't work I'll have to run over to her house.

Thanks!
    05-28-09 01:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD