I am thinking about buying a Pearl 3g from Amazon that is supposed to be "Factory Unlocked". Seller is saying that it came from BlackBerry unlocked. I am a little leary because I thought all BlackBerries are sold thru a provider and the OS is hard coded into the hardware and cannot be changed. So all the provider's programming is still in there. Was I misinformed? Is there truly a factory unlocked BlackBerry?
    01-28-11 02:29 PM
    There are if they have recieved it straight from RIM.
    01-28-11 02:58 PM
    How do I order directly from BlackBerry?
    01-28-11 03:58 PM
    There are resellers on the internet selling factory unlocked blackberrys.

But I would advise you buy one from a carrier and get it unlocked since buying a factory unlocked blackberry will cost about 30-40% more.
    01-28-11 04:02 PM
    Depends who you buy from. You can get some good deals at times

Realistically, there's no benefit to buying a factory unlocked phone as opposed to a phone through a carrier and having it unlocked, but to each their own
    01-29-11 12:43 PM
    I am thinking about buying a Pearl 3g from Amazon that is supposed to be "Factory Unlocked". Seller is saying that it came from BlackBerry unlocked. I am a little leary because I thought all BlackBerries are sold thru a provider and the OS is hard coded into the hardware and cannot be changed. So all the provider's programming is still in there. Was I misinformed? Is there truly a factory unlocked BlackBerry?
    coming from someone who buys and sell's phones for a living. it's USUALLY safer and better to buy a locked blackberry. I have ran into a lot of refurbished/stolen blackberry's buying "factory unlocked" but than again that's just MY opinion. and i could be totally wrong as well.

And as remote unlocker said there is no real benefit to buying "factory unlocked" just sounds cooler that's about it
    01-29-11 03:25 PM
    You may opt for buying a factory unlocked set for the sake of satisfying your mind and heart, though there is practically no difference between a factory unlocked and unlocked later phone, except the carrier tag at the front
    01-29-11 04:51 PM
    What about carrier's preloaded software? If I buy Pearl 3G from AT&T, can I re-install a clean OS on that device after I unlock it?
    01-30-11 08:39 AM
    What about carrier's preloaded software? If I buy Pearl 3G from AT&T, can I re-install a clean OS on that device after I unlock it?
    But of course... Reloading the OS does not affect the unlock.
    01-30-11 09:56 AM
    But of course... Reloading the OS does not affect the unlock.
    Yes, I do realize that. My question is: can I re-install clean OS without all the pre-loaded bloat from AT&T?

Factory unlocked phones are clean.
    01-30-11 10:09 AM
    If you can find one... All of the OS's are carrier specific
    01-30-11 11:12 AM
    Exactly... That's why true factory unlock is nicer.
    01-30-11 11:43 AM
    I think once you register a true factory unlocked device you will get most of the carrier apps anyhow so it does not matter.
    01-30-11 11:52 AM
    yes, you will be able to get rid of carrier specific installs, but you really have to look for a clean OS.
    01-31-11 08:27 AM
    There are if they have recieved it straight from RIM.
    Agreed! Some are indeed Factory Unlocked and Unbranded!
    02-06-11 09:43 AM
    yes, they are.
    02-07-11 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD