so i got my blackberry tour (originally locked from bell) unlocked by some booth and he said it was unlocked. i checked the sim card option and it says "inactive" which should be unlocked... right?? :S but when i put my rogers card in, i can't make any calls or send any texts...

what can i do? did he do something wrong?? :T

so everything on the list says "disabled" except for network which is "inactive"

help me once again crackberry! thanks!
    03-19-10 03:49 PM
    Did you go to Options/Mobile Network and change Technology to GSM/UMTS and select 2G?
    03-19-10 05:10 PM
    Did you go to Options/Mobile Network and change Technology to GSM/UMTS and select 2G?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Oh no I didn't, does it matter even if my account doesn't have a data plan? Ill try when I get home

03-19-10 06:57 PM

Oh no I didn't, does it matter even if my account doesn't have a data plan? Ill try when I get home

No it doesn't, but you won't be able to use Browser/Emails. You just need to put it on GSM/UMTS and select 2G and you will be able to use Voice/SMS.
    03-19-10 07:00 PM
    Sweet! Thanks a lot!!

03-20-10 11:02 AM
    works! 100% thanks!
    03-20-10 09:19 PM
    Glad we can help! Enjoy
    03-20-10 09:46 PM
    Hi Crackberry,

I also just recently bought a Bell Tour 9630, unlocked to be used on Rogers. It's a 3G phone but I'm currently only getting edge even though the settings are set to "2G & 3G". I went to the unlock screen (after pressing mepd) and everything says disabled except "network" which says inactive. Is this the reason my 9630 won't get 3G? My previous phone had 3G coverage in the same locations. If so, how do I fix this? Help me please!!

Thanks a bunch
    03-25-10 03:34 PM
    Hi Crackberry,

I also just recently bought a Bell Tour 9630, unlocked to be used on Rogers. It's a 3G phone but I'm currently only getting edge even though the settings are set to "2G & 3G". I went to the unlock screen (after pressing mepd) and everything says disabled except "network" which says inactive. Is this the reason my 9630 won't get 3G? My previous phone had 3G coverage in the same locations. If so, how do I fix this? Help me please!!

Thanks a bunch
    The Tour 9630 is not compatible with Rogers 3G frequency which is why you are only able to use it on EDGE (2G). Same thing for the Storm. If you want a Blackberry and need 3G then your only options are the 9000 & 9700 if using it on Rogers.
    03-25-10 04:10 PM
    Thanks for the speedy reply! That clears up a lot of confusion.

And thus begins operation upgrade to 9700.
    03-25-10 09:18 PM
    Thanks for the speedy reply! That clears up a lot of confusion.

And thus begins operation upgrade to 9700.
    You're welcome You'll love the 9700.
    03-25-10 10:51 PM
    Hey there.

My friend is having problems with a similar issue. She has a Blackberry 9630 Tour with Telus, and wants to take it with her to Europe to use (Portugal).

First question...Can she use it there and can anyone suggest a carrier? (for data as well as phone service)

Apparently she got it unlocked already. To test, she tried to use a rogers sim chip with it, seems to pick up rogers, but then asks to insert sim card (even though its already in) - and shows "sos"

I tried to switch to 2G as well..

Could one of you unlock experts guide me to:
    1) figure out how to check if the phone is in fact unlocked (properly)
    2) and/or guide me to what steps are needed to get this to work with a sim chip from europe (or to test with rogers chip)

thanks!
    07-15-10 01:00 PM
    Tell your friend to put a piece of paper or card over the SIM to create some sort of pressure to make sure the SIM fully makes contacts with the SIM port contacts.
    07-16-10 10:19 AM
    In order to check if its unlocked already go to options-advanced options-sim card, and type mepd. If it says disabled or inactive next to 'Network' then its unlocked. If not, give us a shout and we can unlock it for you!
    07-16-10 05:14 PM
    I need help on my Tour 9630, on network is disabled which means is unlocked but it still displays Activation required. I am using it in Africa, I have changed country code and mobile network code, however I can only use for making and receiving calls but for data such as emails and so..please help how to get rid of 'activation required'
    07-27-10 08:35 AM
    I need help on my Tour 9630, on network is disabled which means is unlocked but it still displays Activation required. I am using it in Africa, I have changed country code and mobile network code, however I can only use for making and receiving calls but for data such as emails and so..please help how to get rid of 'activation required'
    If your 9630 is from Verizon you can press Send ##000000 Send and the phone will let you program your 10 Digit Mobile Number and then press Menu/Save and the phone will reboot and the message will dissapear.

If your phone is from another provider, you need to order the MSL code, we can get it for you.
    07-27-10 10:06 AM
    It sounds like my wife and I have the same kind of problem.
    We have recently moved to Aviano, Italy, and my wife has a BB Tour. We both got new sim cards today, mine works (not a BB) but her new card doesn't. Her Tour IS unlocked, we've verified through going to options>advanced options>sim card> and typing in MEPD it says that Network IS disabled, but when we put in the new Sim card, it reads "No Valid SIM Card".
    We were with AT&T but cancelled before we left the states. The new sim card is part of the 'TIM' network www . tim.it The main screen says 'insert sim card' on the top and the signal bars area just has the red letters 'sos'. I've tried jiggling it around, taking it out and putting it back in. I don't have the proper tools to tighten the screws, and the sim card fits so tightly that i can't even wedge a piece of paper in there to tighten it up. We're probably going back to the kiosk tomorrow to ask about it. any suggestions or help here though would be greatly appreciated!

HELP!

ALSO: we've tried the other solutions listed in this thread, ie: switching to GSM and 2G, nothing seems to have worked so far for us...
    Last edited by blksmnr; 07-21-11 at 12:52 PM. Reason: more information
    07-21-11 12:47 PM
    It sounds like my wife and I have the same kind of problem.
    We have recently moved to Aviano, Italy, and my wife has a BB Tour. We both got new sim cards today, mine works (not a BB) but her new card doesn't. Her Tour IS unlocked, we've verified through going to options>advanced options>sim card> and typing in MEPD it says that Network IS disabled, but when we put in the new Sim card, it reads "No Valid SIM Card".
    We were with AT&T but cancelled before we left the states. The new sim card is part of the 'TIM' network www . tim.it The main screen says 'insert sim card' on the top and the signal bars area just has the red letters 'sos'. I've tried jiggling it around, taking it out and putting it back in. I don't have the proper tools to tighten the screws, and the sim card fits so tightly that i can't even wedge a piece of paper in there to tighten it up. We're probably going back to the kiosk tomorrow to ask about it. any suggestions or help here though would be greatly appreciated!

HELP!

ALSO: we've tried the other solutions listed in this thread, ie: switching to GSM and 2G, nothing seems to have worked so far for us...
    Try doing a full wipe on the phone.
    07-21-11 04:28 PM
    Need to wipe your phone, this will solve your problem.
    10-12-11 08:03 AM
    I have a Blackberry which when i put in the sim card it doesnt allow me to send messages or place calls. i have verified that the phone is unlocked through the mepd method. everythng is disabled except network which is nactive". when i go to the manage connections and service status, the phone number is unknown number, status is unavailable and connection is not connected.
    the sim card works fine on my other blackberry with data plans working fine.the phone that is not working is a 9360. please would appreciate ur quick help. the bb software is 7.0+

thank you in advance.
    01-21-13 11:43 AM
    I have a Blackberry which when i put in the sim card it doesnt allow me to send messages or place calls. i have verified that the phone is unlocked through the mepd method. everythng is disabled except network which is nactive". when i go to the manage connections and service status, the phone number is unknown number, status is unavailable and connection is not connected.
    the sim card works fine on my other blackberry with data plans working fine.the phone that is not working is a 9360. please would appreciate ur quick help. the bb software is 7.0+

thank you in advance.
    What carrier does it belong and which carrier are you trying to use it on?
    01-22-13 01:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD