long story short: my bold 9000 was replaced a few months ago via at&t. they're giving me problems about the replacement now needing replacing -- i've decided to go ahead and buy myself a 9700 via craigslist or what-have-you since it's cheaper than dealing with the store. almost all the phones i'm finding, however, are from t-mobile.

here's my question: what does unlocking change about a phone's capabilities? anything? i've never dealt with an unlocked phone, esp. not a blackberry. if nothing changes... feel free to say so & then taunt me for not knowing better.
    08-06-10 11:20 AM
    Nothing really changes with the phone, just the ability to put in any SIM card from any carrier and have the phone make calls.

The issue you have with being on Att is the compatibility with other networks. If you use an unlocked Tmobile 9700 on Att you will only ever get EDGE. Tmobile and Att use different frequencies for 3G, so you can't get 3G on Att with a Tmobile phone, or vice versa.

Although, a Rogers 9700 is compatible with Att's 3G network, so that would work for you.
    08-06-10 11:32 AM
    Yikes - had no idea there wouldn't be 3G use if I bought a T-Mobile phone. :/ Bummer.
    08-06-10 12:39 PM
    Yea, your best bet would be to just find a Att 9700. You will have far less headaches with an Att branded phone.

I would think that in the coming weeks that more Att 9700's will be available due to many people wanting the new 9800 that will get released next week.

The Marketplace forum here is also a good alternative to Ebay.
    08-06-10 12:50 PM
    I was going to start a thread about this, I am looking into unlocking my Telus 9550 to Rogers. Do I have to call rogers to get the phone activated or just put in a sim card? How does that all work?

Also - Any known issues with Telus to Rogers switch?
    08-06-10 01:08 PM
    I unlocked my old storm 2 to work with rogers. There were no issues other then only having edge. You just need to pop the active sim in and it'll work. EDIT forgot to mention... I had this message on mine saying it was unregistered, it was more annoying then anything but still worked

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by SmakBerry; 08-06-10 at 01:20 PM.
    08-06-10 01:15 PM
    So I wont have to call them? Do I have to call telus to let them know im changing my phone to Rogers? Also, If I unlock my phone now and dont have my rogers sim card can I still use it on telus until I put the sim card in (Note that the phone is on telus currently using CDMA and not a sim card)
    08-06-10 01:23 PM
    EDGE is slower, right? If I'm frequently using my phone for the internet it wouldn't run as fast as if I had purchased an AT&T branded phone, correct?

I never knew I'd want to kick so many walls over one stinkin' phone.
    08-06-10 01:25 PM
    EDGE is slower, right? If I'm frequently using my phone for the internet it wouldn't run as fast as if I had purchased an AT&T branded phone, correct?

I never knew I'd want to kick so many walls over one stinkin' phone.
    Yea, just a little slower.

Also, the ability to talk and text simultaneously, if you use the feature like Luke Wilson does, isn't available on EDGE. Browsing the internet while on the phone is only possible with a 3G connection.

Other than that, everything will work just fine.
    08-06-10 01:31 PM
    Storm 2 has a sim slot. You won't have to call either provider unless you are moving your phone plan to them. If you are getting a new plan with rogers you will have to call them to set that up. If they ask what phone its for just say a different that they support if that makes you feel better.
    @ truantrebellion Yes, EDGE is slower then 3G

08-06-10 01:32 PM

Also, the ability to talk and text simultaneously, if you use the feature like Luke Wilson does, isn't available on EDGE. Browsing the internet while on the phone is only possible with a 3G connection.

Ok, so... With JUST EDGE I cant browse the internet? Like the whole idea here is to try and get the UMA feature back to my phone (My 8900 had it when i was with Rogers) any idea if I will regain this feature by putting the telus 9550 on rogers?
    08-06-10 01:38 PM
    I'm pretty certain you will not get UMA with rogers on the storm 2

08-06-10 01:40 PM
    Unlocking does not affect features such as UMA it only affects the networks you phone is allowed to access an unlocked phone determines the allowed networks from the SIM card instead, and if you are looking for a cheap unlock code PM me I can get you one.
    08-06-10 02:13 PM
    So is there any way to get the UMA feature on my 9550? the cell service sucks in my apartment
    08-06-10 02:14 PM

Chuckled a bit at the mention of Luke Wilson in the commercials. My 9000 is fried so I'm just hoping to have a new phone in my hands here in the next few days. People seem to be charging more for the 9000 than the 9700, which makes very little sense to me...
    08-06-10 02:17 PM
    Chuckled a bit at the mention of Luke Wilson in the commercials. My 9000 is fried so I'm just hoping to have a new phone in my hands here in the next few days. People seem to be charging more for the 9000 than the 9700, which makes very little sense to me...
    I always laughed at Luke Wilson in those Att commercials, I wish they would of kept him around longer...

That is odd that the 9000 is more when the 9700 is better spec wise, but people do love the form factor of the original Bold. Like I said before, an Att branded 9700 (or any phone) will work much better for you, sometimes there are issues using an unlocked phone on a carrier it wasn't intended for.

A Tmobile branded phone will work just fine on Att, just no 3G service. But, if you're around wifi most of the time it probably wouldn't be an issue. I think you'd just be happier with an Att one.

So is there any way to get the UMA feature on my 9550? the cell service sucks in my apartment
    No, the Storm isn't capable of UMA on any carrier.
    08-06-10 02:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD