Just got my 9800 and so far, the one thing I am lost with is:

Is there somewhere in the settings that when I slide it closed, it locks the phone? And when I slide it open, the phone is unlocked?

If not a RIM setting, is there an app?
    11-18-10 05:09 PM
    Patternlock, free and paid versions depending on how much customization you need
    11-18-10 05:13 PM
    The OS supports slide open to answer and close to end calls functionality, not lock and unlock.
    3rd party apps might help
    11-18-10 05:16 PM
    Patternlock, free and paid versions depending on how much customization you need
    okay, I DL'ed PaternLock (full version), but no where do I see a setting to Lock when I slide the phone closed.....
    11-18-10 05:34 PM
    okay, I DL'ed PaternLock (full version), but no where do I see a setting to Lock when I slide the phone closed.....
    PatternLock does not have that option. I haven't seen any app that offers that option.
    11-18-10 05:37 PM
    It's probably not an option because there's so much functionality on the touch screen that doesn't need the slide-out keyboard. Most users would probably find that more of an inconvenience, especially with the lock/unlock button on top already.
    11-18-10 05:42 PM
    You can assign it to lock on the lock button.

But I don't think you're gonna have functionality to actually lock it on slider close, because people routinely close the slider after doing simple stuff like typing on the keyboard and don't want to lock it.
    11-18-10 05:46 PM
    It's probably not an option because there's so much functionality on the touch screen that doesn't need the slide-out keyboard. Most users would probably find that more of an inconvenience, especially with the lock/unlock button on top already.
    This is true

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-10 05:56 PM
    Yeah i wish i could see that to i had so far 4slider's phones, 5 including the 9800.

All 4 had that option to lock or unlock the phone when slide out and in but they new fancy device all in one smart phone missing that option
    I wish i could see in a new version that option because that unlock button on top is not good at all. exp: when i pres the button and i put it in my pocket it turn on.
    11-18-10 06:21 PM
    If you have patternlock set to lock on the lock button it won't matter if the screen turns on though
    11-18-10 06:27 PM
    That would not really work nicely if you think about it. If you close it, the phone will be lock but what if you close it and you just want to use the browser without the keyboard? Then you need to press the unlock button.

If you lock the phone and you slide it open, the phone will unlock automatically which I think its pretty neat.

- Charles
    11-18-10 08:16 PM
    Just got my 9800 and so far, the one thing I am lost with is:

Is there somewhere in the settings that when I slide it closed, it locks the phone? And when I slide it open, the phone is unlocked?

If not a RIM setting, is there an app?
    As something like a configuration within the phone, without any app : No.

And so far there are no apps like that either.
    11-18-10 08:27 PM
    Also the slider being opened forces portrait mode. If you couldn't close the slider without locking the phone, then you couldn't use landscape mode without unlocking the phone first.
    11-18-10 08:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD