04-25-11 06:03 PM
118 ... 345
    There are so many options perhaps my setup just happens to be fine? Some people may be using the location feature which is definitely a battery drain.

Unless you think 2% drop in 3 hours of standby, locked (no usage), is bad...I'm sticking with my comment.
    11-09-10 09:04 AM
    There are so many options perhaps my setup just happens to be fine? Some people may be using the location feature which is definitely a battery drain.

Unless you think 2% drop in 3 hours of standby, locked (no usage), is bad...I'm sticking with my comment.
    I've also experienced no battery drain using PatterLock Pro (I obsessively follow my status using MeterBerry - around 1.8-2% in standby locked).
    11-09-10 09:33 AM
    Word of warning on lock issues. I purchased otter box cover and the rubber insert is too tight along the top when you place plastic cover on. This completely locks up the phone. This drove me nuts trying to figure out why I could do nothing on my phone after numerous reboots and tests with/without cover on.

Maybe I am missing something but this appears to have been what was causing me to appear to have a locked up phone.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I'm having the exact problem with my Blackberry Torch and Otterbox, seriously driving me nuts.
    11-24-10 07:18 PM
    My god...did the Torch production staff including production manager Annu Dawar have a frikin knock to their heads while designing the torch...are they insane or incompetent!!! RIM may as well be selling a car without brakes.

The lock/unlock button is so incredibly badly located that it almost renders the phone useless, and then RIM had the bright idea to NOT release a holster for it.

Within days of buying the phone I was back in the store to explain the problem buy an enormous pouch that can barely fit in a normal sized pocket...and makes almost no difference..apparently was the answer...

I have had many Blackberry phones over the past 5 or 6 years and loved them and while sometimes fiddly, the lock function wasnt a major problem.

Buy a torch and you have two options, use it as a normal phone and every time you put it in your pocket change all your settings to Chinese, delete half your contacts, send random texts and photos to the other half of your contacts that were not deleted, call the odd business contact at 10 or 11 pm, turn off ALL connectivity at that point and then spend the rest of its time in your pocket draining the battery.

Other option, construct a trolley on wheels with a lead to pull behind you, on this trolley place a safe, in this safe place packing Styrofoam beads, in these styrofoam beads delicately place Blackberry Torch, lock door and hope you dont hit any bumps while you walk to work....

Blackberry Torch...run away...run away
    03-17-11 06:58 AM
    Or better yet just buy a pouch(12$ on amazon) that has a magnet in it that puts it to sleep when in the holster. It really isn't that difficult. Although I find your post funny, it's a little out of line and well over the top.
    03-17-11 07:11 AM
    I think its well over the top and way out of line that I would have to source a holster at extra cost from an external outlet, having spent a considerable amount of money on the Blackberry Torch unit initially...as I said ' like having to buy my own brakes for my new car'
    03-17-11 07:31 AM
    Here's an idea for you. If it bothers you so much then enable the device password and apply the password lock function to the convenience key. Not only will it solve your problem but your phone will be safe and secure.
    This is NOT a big deal.
    Attachment 83101
    Push convenience key...note that the option to Place Call is only there because I choose that as an option.
    Attachment 83102

You don't need to buy a case.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 03-17-11 at 09:18 AM.
    03-17-11 09:15 AM
    Hey guys, this is my first post ever on a forum hope I can make it count. I just installed PatternLock Lite on my Torch and it works very nicely, no problems yet and it's free from crackberry Superstore. You can get it I'm considering purchasing the full app!!
    works great infact it works so well that I bought the paid version +1 on patternlock
    04-06-11 02:02 PM
    +1 patternlocklite
    04-06-11 02:09 PM
    Try this case (it's the pocket case for the Torch). It has a magnet sewn into the case which puts the Torch to sleep. Will also protect the screen. Perfect for carrying the Torch in a pocket.

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Leather Pocket for RIM BB 9800 Torch, Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

04-06-11 03:58 PM
    i have used both patternlock and swipelock. both are great apps, under $3 (if i recall correctly). I didn't want to "type" a password, wanted some fun on the screen instead.

both work awesome on the torch. the pattern lock is fun, cuz you can change the colors (background, correct pattern trace, wrong pattern trace, etc., set noise or vibrations, etc.) and the pattern itself - just for a change of pace and keep it fresh and feeling "safer".

also, you can set number of swipes before it locks itself, and if the lockout time appears or not...
    04-06-11 04:21 PM

how is the battery life when patternlock/stormslider is installed?
    04-14-11 11:31 AM
    With Patternlock the batterylife is still very good if you ask me.
    I still do 3 days with a batterycharge and quite some ussage
    04-14-11 01:03 PM
    HELP!! I just installed patternlock and set it up but maybe not very well. When i go to access the patternlock icon it shows the dots and immediately goes to a dark screen and locks. How do i now change my settings??

also, the reason for downloading patternlock was to overcome the poor BB lock issue - so ... how do i set it up so that i need to swipe after pressing the BB button to unlock
    04-24-11 07:44 AM
    i think i solved my own problem............soooo satisfying!
    04-24-11 08:08 AM
    it seems basically impossible to accidentally unlock an iphone too.
    Grab Stormslider, it's free and works just like the iPhone lock. Problem solved if you wanna save typing a PW everytime.
    04-24-11 11:32 AM
    I was/am pretty disappointed that it takes an application to fix the locking situation but oh well. This is my first BB and it only took a couple days for the honeymoon to be over with the lock/unlock issue. Patternlock lite seems to be working fine. At least there is a decent solution. Amazed this phone made it to mass market with this issue.
    04-25-11 02:53 PM
    Happy 'ish' with Patternlock - it certainly seems to solve the accidental locking/unlocking problem. however, i have an issue with patternlock when i first turn the phone on.

The first thing i have to do is enter a PIN (i think this was set up by corporate). Next, i have a msg from patternlock entitled, 'application permissions' - it is attempting to reset security timer and offers choice of allow/deny. It will take 3 / 4 times of pressing allow before i can move to the swipe screen and access my phone. Does anyone know what i have to do to solve the 'application permissions' question in the settings of the phone.....getting a little frustrated pressing 'allow' repeatedly to access the phone on start up.
    04-25-11 06:03 PM
118 ... 345