04-25-11 07:03 PM
118 ... 2345
tools
    The paid version of PatternLock has:
    It's own Time/Date/BerryWeather integration and Message BAR at the top.
    You can set your own wallpaper in both landscape and portrait.
    You can pick what apps to disable from autolocking.
    You can set your own owner info and lock message.
    You can have a call screen lock if wanted.
    You can choose your own pattern or (as I did) just choose one particular dot as the unlock button.
    Do all notifications show up on patternlock screen (phone, vopicemail, text, email)

Also have you had any issues with reminders (maybe they are officially called aleerts)? I have been experimenting with lite version of Patternlock, and occasionally have issues with reminders (although am using Pocket Informant to manage them so it migh not be due to Patternlock). If I engage patternlock (via screen dim feature triggered by pressing lock button), sometimes after an alert the unlock screen stalls out - ie the alert dismissal screen doesn't pop up right away and I cannot unlock via patternlock. The problem happened even more frequently with free version of stormslider.

Anyone out there who uses alerts frequently find a program that doesn't conflcit? Or anyone with paid version of patternlock have ideas if tweaking any settings that might help?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-10 01:14 PM
    Do all notifications show up on patternlock screen (phone, vopicemail, text, email)

Also have you had any issues with reminders (maybe they are officially called aleerts)? I have been experimenting with lite version of Patternlock, and occasionally have issues with reminders (although am using Pocket Informant to manage them so it migh not be due to Patternlock). If I engage patternlock (via screen dim feature triggered by pressing lock button), sometimes after an alert the unlock screen stalls out - ie the alert dismissal screen doesn't pop up right away and I cannot unlock via patternlock. The problem happened even more frequently with free version of stormslider.

Anyone out there who uses alerts frequently find a program that doesn't conflcit? Or anyone with paid version of patternlock have ideas if tweaking any settings that might help?

Just tried that with PatternLock full.

My calendar alert is a long vibrate then a sound.

When my alert was triggered while PL was engaged, I got a short vibrate and no sound. The alert was nowhere to be seen either.

Now that I've paid for this - I will report this to the developer who seems to be active unlike the StormSlider dev.

EDIT: NEVERMIND - there's an option under "General" options for PL to let others applications pop up over it. That makes the calendar reminders work fine.

So far so good with this program - well worth the $3 until RIM figures out their own fix (hopefully).
    Last edited by jeffreii; 08-28-10 at 01:45 PM.
    08-28-10 01:33 PM
    Just tried that with PatternLock full.

EDIT: NEVERMIND - there's an option under "General" options for PL to let others applications pop up over it. That makes the calendar reminders work fine.

So far so good with this program - well worth the $3 until RIM figures out their own fix (hopefully).
    Open PatternLock>Autolock>Scroll down to Disable autolocking when the following apps are running>Choose app to disable PatternLock>Close and Save
    All popups and sounds work while locked.
    This is a real good Lock alternative that has a good look as well. And if you use your own wallpaper it gives you an option for a 360X480 wallpaper in portrait and a different 480X360 wallpaper in landscape.
    08-28-10 02:24 PM
    Thanks jefreii and tellsells for details re reminders. Looks like I will be buying fullversion

Can you answer this one too?
    Last edited by somainer; 08-28-10 at 04:57 PM.
    08-28-10 04:55 PM
    Thanks jefreii and tellsells for details re reminders. Looks like I will be buying fullversion

Can you answer this one too?

Yes, all notifications show up on patternLock's main screen!
    08-28-10 05:01 PM
    Yes, all notifications show up on patternLock's main screen!
    All new notifications - it has it's own display separate from the OS...i.e. if you have notifications unread on your device and you lock it with PL, those old ones won't show up. Only the new ones that arrive while it's locked.
    08-28-10 05:28 PM
    I just downloaded Patternlock. It's simple and good for what it is. There's no lag after swiping and you can have it lock a certain amount of time after the light goes off. The full version should be better.
    08-30-10 12:13 PM
    I have one complaint with PatternLock - when using it, every button turns the screen on...with the native lock it's only call, end, BB, back and lock/unlock...with PL the volume buttons, mute, convenience key and trackpad turn it on.

They told me I could go to PL settings/General/Assign to hardware lock key: "Launch behind native lock" - sounds good but it does nothing different for me than selecting "yes".

Is anyone else bothered by this and/or able/not able to get the Launch behind native lock setting to work?
    09-02-10 10:00 AM
    I have the same problem, hitting that darn button, its driving me nuts, beep beep beep all the time. I use Pattern Lock and that keeps it locked, I want to disable those tow buttons. TERRIBLE problem.
    09-07-10 06:05 PM
    I have the same problem, I have had 2 curves a bold 9700 and bold 9800. The buttons on top of the torch should be set to work the same as the bold to lock the phone.
    09-07-10 07:17 PM
    I have one complaint with PatternLock - when using it, every button turns the screen on...with the native lock it's only call, end, BB, back and lock/unlock...with PyL the volume buttons, mute, convenience key and trackpad turn it on.
    ?
    Hopefully the folks at patterlock can come up with a workaround but the I think the problem you describe is actually due to the fundamental issue with the native lock - and ithe ease with which is acciodentally presased try this on a table or in your hand (ie not in a pocket where accidental key presses can occur); note I am using patternlock lite with setting of autolock when backlight turns off = 1 second)

A1) Press BB lock button to launch patterlock
    A2) Press trackpad
    **nothing will happen - ie screen is still dim

Now unlock patterlock and start over, doing the following:
    B1) Press BB lock button to launch patterlock
    B2) Press BB unlock button (this will dismiss BB "screen ois locked" notification"; do NOT swipe patternlock; just wail till screen dims again automatically
    3) Now press trackpad
    **screen lights up

For kicks disable patternlock completetely (so it will never launch) and do parts A and B above and you will observe the same behabior.

My guess is all the engineers, developers and testers at BB use holster exclusively. In contrast I doubt anyone at apple even knows what a holster is. my wife's iphone was made for a pocket or purse - primary button is recessed; unlock key on top is actually a little bit difficult to press.

09-10-10 08:35 AM
    A1) Press BB lock button to launch patterlock
    A2) Press trackpad
    **nothing will happen - ie screen is still dim
    I have it set to "launch behind default lock".

I press the BB lock button and the screen goes off.

I press the trackpad and the screen turns on.

You said you're using the Lite version so I assume that was just a guess on your part and not an actual experience with the program right?

Thanks for your help.
    09-10-10 08:45 AM
    You said you're using the Lite version so I assume that was just a guess on your part and not an actual experience with the program right?
    that's correct. I haven't bought the full version yet as I am still in my 30-day trial period with the phone and am SERIOUSLY considering returning the beast due to some basic design flaws like this one. My experience with the lite version - and the purpose of my post - was to highlight the fact that the whole problem stems from poor design by BB. My point being that software developers may be limited in what they can do.

My biggest concern lately re the unlock issue (and patternlock) is what are the battery implications of the screen constantly lighting up as it bounces around in my pocket? With patternlock running, if I press the BB unlock button the screen lights up and takes a full 10 seconds before dimming again. Seems like that could eat up alot of battery if it happens frequently enough. The other day - when I was racing around alot with the phone in my pocket I went from 100% battery to 30% in less than 8 hours with very little use of the phone or email or browser (could have been due to some other program draingin it in teh background, but still of concern it may be due to screen).

Lets hope that BB gets their sh*& together, or that a creative developer like Tafasa can find a workaround. I think the best design would be to engage patternlock via the BB lock button and ONLY have screen brighten again (and the patternlock swipe-able pattern appear) if you press the red power button. I also would like it to brighten and the screen be fully accessible (ie no need to swipe pattern) upon opening slider.

Thanks for your reliable reports - keep em coming!
    09-10-10 10:01 AM
    that's correct. I haven't bought the full version yet as I am still in my 30-day trial period with the phone and am SERIOUSLY considering returning the beast due to some basic design flaws like this one. My experience with the lite version - and the purpose of my post - was to highlight the fact that the whole problem stems from poor design by BB. My point being that software developers may be limited in what they can do.

My biggest concern lately re the unlock issue (and patternlock) is what are the battery implications of the screen constantly lighting up as it bounces around in my pocket? With patternlock running, if I press the BB unlock button the screen lights up and takes a full 10 seconds before dimming again. Seems like that could eat up alot of battery if it happens frequently enough. The other day - when I was racing around alot with the phone in my pocket I went from 100% battery to 30% in less than 8 hours with very little use of the phone or email or browser (could have been due to some other program draingin it in teh background, but still of concern it may be due to screen).

Lets hope that BB gets their sh*& together, or that a creative developer like Tafasa can find a workaround. I think the best design would be to engage patternlock via the BB lock button and ONLY have screen brighten again (and the patternlock swipe-able pattern appear) if you press the red power button. I also would like it to brighten and the screen be fully accessible (ie no need to swipe pattern) upon opening slider.

Thanks for your reliable reports - keep em coming!
    Those are good ideas.

I made this thread with the hopes of getting a lot of support for this and sending a link to Tafasa but so far only one person has replied. I'd think everyone with PatternLock on the Torch would be supporting it.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/pa...ht=patternlock
    09-10-10 10:37 AM
    Guys, I have the paid version of Pattern Lock on my torch and am having an issue with it.

I have it assigned to lock with the LOCK key, which works well, but often times it will NOT unlock. The Pattern Lock screen with the dots shows up, but touching the screen will not activate the dots. It acts like the touchscreen is off or something.

It seems like it does it when the Pattern Lock screen is brought up by pressing one of the main buttons, not lock.

Once it gets "frozen" in lock-screen mode, you can't do much. You can quick-switch apps, but it always comes back to the pattern lock screen. I typically have to re-boot it, which is infuriating. I have found NO other way to get the touchscreen back to a reactive mode.

I am not using the native lock and most of my other Pattern Lock options are set as you would typically expect. Also, I ran the LITE version of Pattern Lock for two weeks (typically behind native lock) and never had this freezing issue. It's only been since I bought the full version about 3 days ago that its been happening.

Any ideas?
    09-10-10 11:36 AM
    Time out setting with a passowrd or open the slider and prs alt + enter to force a lock. Or use the lock icon.

I hate how opening the slider unlocks it

09-10-10 05:56 PM
    Honestly' to me, the lite version of patternlock fulfills everything I need. I don't need to see notifications because my pattern is easy to unlock. Try lite before buying

09-12-10 09:05 PM
    1st Post. My new torch was unlocking constantly in my pocket (very touchy lock key), and I found that I had ****-dialed, and even had deleted a contact. PatternLock was PERFECT! I suggest springing the $3 for the real version, and the only install issue that I had was covered by thread message #67 (setting options>permissions...)

I can even unlock my phone quickly while driving (but don't tell IDOT). I hate using passwords, so PatternLock makes my "right brain" happy. (no passwords!)
    09-20-10 01:15 PM
    I upgraded to Torch from Storm 2. Oddly Storm has the same lock/unlock button, but it never ever unlocked in my pocket. Torch is much more sensitive and unlocks all the time. Would be nice if RIM can fix that by software at some point.

In the meantime I have the Stormslider $3 paid version installed and it is great. When it installed I selected the option to allow all permissions, and I think it came up one more time and I said Yes. Now when I hit the lock button Stormslider engages. Hit the lock button again, and the the iphone like slider to unlock. I have no password set - don't want to bother with that all the time. AND I have it set to engage on phone calls. I was initially having problems with the proximity sensor if my hair was between phone and ear, and was dialing with my face. So, two birds with one stone, so to speak.

I have no problem accessing the Options menu (I know others are reporting this). When locked I just hit the menu key and a blue Options button appears. So far everything I've tried is working great. I don't know what I'm doing right but am happy to answer any questions I can about how it is configured.
    10-14-10 06:07 PM
    I've had the Torch for one day and so far I have removed the phone from my pocket and it has been unlocked for at least the following:

Made a call to my friend Jay
    Accessed the Facebook application
    Trying to save some form of appointment
    Just unlocked on the home screen.

It is such an apparent problem that at the end of the first day, I am here searching to see if it is a known issue and for a solution. I assume I can create a lock code but do I want to do that every time I intentionally unlock my phone? I don't think so.

I cant seem to find it (maybe my search-fu is weak), but I have an issue with the lock on the torch.

I went to the store yesterday to play with the torch. I like it a lot and will probably upgrade from my 9000. however, I dont like the lock (rather, the unlock) and the sales guy said he didnt know of an answer for me.

in short, you lock it by hitting the button on the top left. no worries. however, to unlock, you either open the slider or hit the lock button again. this is not a very "positive" way of unlocking, if you ask me. its quick and easy, but not a very good way to keep the phone locked in your pocket or whatever. I can easily see me bumping the unlock button when the phone's in my pocket and dialing or browsing or any number of functions from touch enable home screen. I dont think the slide is likely to open in a cargo pocket, but the button could definetely get pushed.

for those of yall that have had one for a while, am I missing something? is there a way to "override" this and make it so it only unlocks when you manually do something? *send or swipe to unlock? similar?

TIA
    11-06-10 08:16 PM
    Go to AppWorld and get StormSlider. There is a free or 2.99 version. I have the paid version. I too found the Torch unlock too sensitive, much more than Storm2 which I had just before Torch. StormSlider locks when you hit the screen lock button and/or when the screen auto dims and when a call comes in (so you don't dial with your face if the proximity sensor is obstructed). It has a slide unlock a la iphone. Very nice, with some other options to explore. I'm very happy with it.
    11-06-10 11:08 PM
    It seems that if I lock with patternlock only, and not the bb lock key, the screen dims but never goes off. I've tried every setting I can think of. Any ideas ??

11-07-10 01:51 AM
    Anyone experiencing battery drain issues with StormSlider and/or PatternLock? I think they are both great applications and do everything they say...but I'm concerned they also do something they don't say which is drain the sh*t out of your battery.

I've only done loose experimenting - trying each for a week at a time - but I would be very surprised if they did not drain the battery about 20-30% faster than using the OEM password lock.
    11-08-10 09:17 AM
    I've seen zero battery drain with either of them - extensive use. Make sure the location feature is off for PatternLock.

I have seen battery drain of about 2% per 3 hours when the phone is not in use and the lock engaged.
    11-08-10 09:33 AM
    I've seen zero battery drain with either of them - extensive use. Make sure the location feature is off for PatternLock.

I have seen battery drain of about 2% per 3 hours when the phone is not in use and the lock engaged.
    Jeffreii - Maybe something is wrong with my phone then. I don't want to spread false rumors but the review lists are filled with batter drain issues so I don't think I'm alone here. I'll do some back to back testing with OEM functionality, StormSlider, and PatternLock and post my results.

I'm using the trial versions of both but I don't see why that would negatively affect battery life.
    11-09-10 09:48 AM
118 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD