I have the paid version. There is an issue with it when on a phone call.

When you make a call the phone goes dim. This enables the slid to unlock, but you then cannot end your phone call with the end key. It stays active until you slide to unlock!

If you disable lock on dim it solves this problem but then it does not enable slide to lock when you press the lock button on the top.

I keep my phone in my pocket and it unlocks on it's own and presses buttons on the screen.
    08-19-10 10:24 AM

When you make a call the phone goes dim. This enables the slid to unlock, but you then cannot end your phone call with the end key. It stays active until you slide to unlock!
    I am assuming you mean the paid version of StormSlider?

I do NOT have the issue you describe using nUnlock. Even though the screen lock pops up when I am on a call, I can still press the red button to hang up.

regarding the issue of quality of support, I emailed nUnlock (asking if it is possible to select my own background) and they responded within 6 hours (indicating they will include it in a future version). But is seems odd as I just looked at their web-site which indicates it already is a current feature. And they asked me where I found their app. Makes me nervous about buying it...
    08-19-10 12:32 PM
    Hey guys, this is my first post ever on a forum hope I can make it count. I just installed PatternLock Lite on my Torch and it works very nicely, no problems yet and it's free from crackberry Superstore. You can get it I'm considering purchasing the full app!!
    miark likes this.
    08-19-10 03:50 PM

If you disable lock on dim it solves this problem but then it does not enable slide to lock when you press the lock button on the top.

I keep my phone in my pocket and it unlocks on it's own and presses buttons on the screen.
    I have the paid version of StormSlider and didn't have that problem today. I was also able to end the call just by pressing the end key.

It doesn't work perfectly (the guy did make it for the Storm, hopefully he'll update for Torch). When my events pop up, it seems to freeze the phone unlocking, but I don't get any error messages and I do unlock after a few seconds.
    08-19-10 05:58 PM
    I wanted to report that I removed StormSlider and installed PatternLock (thanks to the above post). I've tested it and so far no problems. I do think this is crazy that I had to install an app to solve the problem though. Who tested this phone and how did you use it?
    08-19-10 08:46 PM
    The paid version of PatternLock works extremely well and is very configurable:

PatternLock - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    08-19-10 10:21 PM
    i got pattern lock installed also...love it
    08-19-10 11:17 PM
    just installed patternlock.

this phone really should just come with this utility, no?
    08-20-10 12:06 AM
    I cant seem to find it (maybe my search-fu is weak), but I have an issue with the lock on the torch.

I went to the store yesterday to play with the torch. I like it a lot and will probably upgrade from my 9000. however, I dont like the lock (rather, the unlock) and the sales guy said he didnt know of an answer for me.

in short, you lock it by hitting the button on the top left. no worries. however, to unlock, you either open the slider or hit the lock button again. this is not a very "positive" way of unlocking, if you ask me. its quick and easy, but not a very good way to keep the phone locked in your pocket or whatever. I can easily see me bumping the unlock button when the phone's in my pocket and dialing or browsing or any number of functions from touch enable home screen. I dont think the slide is likely to open in a cargo pocket, but the button could definetely get pushed.

for those of yall that have had one for a while, am I missing something? is there a way to "override" this and make it so it only unlocks when you manually do something? *send or swipe to unlock? similar?

TIA
    No, that's not the way it works. Just touch the screen or the scroll button and it prompts you to unlock. Ultimately, you could password-protect the phone.
    08-20-10 07:02 AM
    just installed patternlock.

this phone really should just come with this utility, no?
    +1 FOR PATTERNLOCK!!!! This program is sweet!
    08-20-10 10:03 AM
    In case anyone is interested in PatternLock there is a big difference between the Lite version (free) and the regular version (on sale for $2.39).
    The regular version is far superior with lots of options to configure it and also has options to "mute" the app in certain programs such as media player, etc.
    As mentioned before, this app works very well!
    08-20-10 10:44 AM
    I downloaded the free version of StormSlider and have had no issues.
    I just sacrificed my camera convenience key and it seems to be working wonders.
    Have not accidentally called anyone in some 3 hours!
    08-20-10 11:53 AM
    Having same issue as all have mentioned. So absolutely unacceptable that this phone got through quality testing with such a stupid issue. Its not exactly like some kind of issue you only notice after weeks of ownership...try the first time you put it in your pocket.

Anyway, I tried Patternlock Lite and got into a weird dog chasing tail situation. After downloading I click on the Pattern Lock Icon. It tells me to set the User Permissions and gives me the instructions to do so, but they are obviously not for the Torch bc there is no mention of our separate menu for "Third Party Applications." Once in the third party applications screen when I try to set the permissions for Pattern Lock it tells me I first need to click the Icon to go through the "Pattern Lock Setup Wizard." And when I click the Icon I get back to the page that tells me I need to set my permissions. Have not tried the PatternLock Paid edition yet, but I may.

Tried StormSlider Lite and as a basic utility seems to work great as others have said. I think I'd like more functionality, specifically the ability to lock with the top hardware button, so will try the PatternLock Paid and report back.
    08-25-10 06:54 PM
    I downloaded the free version of StormSlider and have had no issues.
    I just sacrificed my camera convenience key and it seems to be working wonders.
    Have not accidentally called anyone in some 3 hours!
    Can't seem to find the Options menu for Storm Slider Free? How do you access this screen to do something like setting the convenience key? Ahh..just before hitting submit reply I realized you do this through the BB menu / convenience key settings. So is there no options menu for Storm Slider Free?
    08-25-10 06:58 PM
    download stormslider (free) from bb app world. Makes it so you can activate it manually (I use my convenience key) and then it works like the iPhone swipe to unlock. Love it. A lot more convenient than password lock.
    08-25-10 10:22 PM
    Have been using the StormSlider Free edition for a day now and I have to say it works incredibly well.

Like an original build item - no glitches, no hung screens or anything yet and it does exactly what its intended to do. I have it on my home screen priority area and just give it a light tap when done using phone and a quick swipe when wanting to use again - and whala...no calling the mother in law or changing phone language to mandarin in my pocket.

Only minor issue is if the password lock (based on your time setting) comes on while the device is locked by StromSlider you do get a small application error box as it denies StormSlider from doing what it wants to do but its not a big deal at all and a very minor price to pay for this very functional and free app.
    08-26-10 10:59 AM
    Anyway, I tried Patternlock Lite and got into a weird dog chasing tail situation. After downloading I click on the Pattern Lock Icon. It tells me to set the User Permissions and gives me the instructions to do so, but they are obviously not for the Torch bc there is no mention of our separate menu for "Third Party Applications." Once in the third party applications screen when I try to set the permissions for Pattern Lock it tells me I first need to click the Icon to go through the "Pattern Lock Setup Wizard." And when I click the Icon I get back to the page that tells me I need to set my permissions. Have not tried the PatternLock Paid edition yet, but I may.
    You have to go to Options-->Device-->Application Management and click on the PatternLock application in there to edit permissions. Once you change everything to "Allow" you can set up PatternLock with no problems. I'm using the paid version right now and it works flawlessly.
    08-26-10 11:19 AM
    NoahFecks -

That worked great, thank you. For anyone else having this problem (as it seems the instructions on the setup page of the device may not be for OS6) then follow these instructions to set permissions. Works great now. Thanks.

You have to go to Options-->Device-->Application Management and click on the PatternLock application in there to edit permissions. Once you change everything to "Allow" you can set up PatternLock with no problems. I'm using the paid version right now and it works flawlessly.
    08-27-10 12:08 PM
    download stormslider (free) from bb app world. Makes it so you can activate it manually (I use my convenience key) and then it works like the iPhone swipe to unlock. Love it. A lot more convenient than password lock.
    would def have to agree...the storm slider app is the best way...i actually purchased the full version...the phone will automatically lock after an x amount of time then u just slide to unlock...works very well.
    08-27-10 02:14 PM
    would def have to agree...the storm slider app is the best way...i actually purchased the full version...the phone will automatically lock after an x amount of time then u just slide to unlock...works very well.
    The first few pages of this thread people are saying StormSlider paid edition is buggy and you can't even access the options screen...
    08-28-10 09:04 AM
    YouTube - stormslider lock

good to see this app.....so it's the same as the "lock" button on top of the phone but adds a password to the lock button feature whereas with the password lock, already installed on the phone, you cannot use with the lock button
    08-28-10 09:25 AM
    It's annoying that there's no free trial for patternlock - can someone using it let me know if it's possible with options or a theme to make it so it doesn't cover up the date/time/battery/etc. bar and the notifications bar? I would like to be able to see all that information without unlocking.

This whole lock button thing is really annoying - I wish someone would step up and make a simple program to lock the device with the lock button and unlock it with both the unlock button and a swipe of the finger - much like the iPhone unlock (though I do prefer using a hardware button, the Torch's button is obviously too sensitive).
    08-28-10 10:01 AM
    It's annoying that there's no free trial for patternlock - can someone using it let me know if it's possible with options or a theme to make it so it doesn't cover up the date/time/battery/etc. bar and the notifications bar? I would like to be able to see all that information without unlocking.

This whole lock button thing is really annoying - I wish someone would step up and make a simple program to lock the device with the lock button and unlock it with both the unlock button and a swipe of the finger - much like the iPhone unlock (though I do prefer using a hardware button, the Torch's button is obviously too sensitive).
    The paid version of PatternLock has:
    It's own Time/Date/BerryWeather integration and Message BAR at the top.
    You can set your own wallpaper in both landscape and portrait.
    You can pick what apps to disable from autolocking.
    You can set your own owner info and lock message.
    You can have a call screen lock if wanted.
    You can choose your own pattern or (as I did) just choose one particular dot as the unlock button.
    08-28-10 10:10 AM
    The paid version of PatternLock has:
    It's own Time/Date/BerryWeather integration and Message BAR at the top.
    You can set your own wallpaper in both landscape and portrait.
    You can pick what apps to disable from autolocking.
    You can set your own owner info and lock message.
    You can have a call screen lock if wanted.
    You can choose your own pattern or (as I did) just choose one particular dot as the unlock button.
    Thank you - that's very helpful.

Would you say this is a perfect solution for the lock/unlock problem (aside from having to pay for it of course)?

Do you have any complaints at all about it on your Torch? Thanks again!
    08-28-10 10:15 AM
    Thank you - that's very helpful.

Would you say this is a perfect solution for the lock/unlock problem (aside from having to pay for it of course)?

Do you have any complaints at all about it on your Torch? Thanks again!
    It's the best one available and I've tried a bunch of them. It's very configurable and there's no battery drain at all. For me, it's a "keeper"!

There's another one out there called AutoLock-Touchscreen that works real well (very simple swipe) but the battery drain is ridiculous. I've spoken to the developer and he's sent me a few different test versions to try but all drain the battery.
    08-28-10 10:21 AM
118 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD