04-25-11 06:03 PM
118 1234 ...
tools
    rsasecure,

I too am really frustrated with the accidental unlock in pocket...

what I ideally want is for phone to only lock when I press lock button, and to unlock either: 1) upon opening slider, or 2) following pressing lock button and then a screen wipe or keypad press (to avoid the inadvertent pocket unlock)

a) you indicate that the paid version of Stormslider "works" but you cannot change options. do the defaults settings uon install work as I describe above?

b) if not, have you had any subsequent luck accessing options with Stormslider?

cheers, Greg
    Hey Greg,

The default setup seems to work but I would like to access the advertised "Options" (See Below). Right now when the screen time out/dims after 20 seconds Stormslider begins. I would like to see if there's an option to enable Stormslider from the lock button on top similar to the iPhone etc. I figure if I paid for the Options I should be able to at least use them right?

---Some of the Features---
    - Custom Backgrounds
    - Custom Slider Text
    - More Secure
    - Signal & Battery Meter
    - Faster / Smoother animations
    - Email and SMS Notifications
    - Start app on phone startup optional
    - Start app using default lock button optional
    - Start app from the bb menu optional
    - Start app while on the phone to prevent pressing keys with your cheek optional
    - Close app when holstered optional
    - Start app when removed from holster optional
    - Over 20 options to choose from
    - 12 / 24 hour clock
    - Ability to disable SS from launching while pandora / slacker is playing.
    - Choose font colors

---Security---
    You have the option to enter a 4 digit password on the app. When you slide to unlock, you will be presented with a keypad. You will need to enter the 4 digit code to unlock the app. If the code is entered incorrectly the keypad will close and the lock will not close. While developing this application I locked myself out of my phone 3 times on accident.
    08-16-10 12:55 PM
    If you find a solution let me know, I've already unlocked it in my pocket several times.
    08-16-10 01:40 PM
    I sent an email to leetcomapps@gmail.com regarding this issue and have not heard back yet....
    rsasecure,

please give us an update when you hear back... unfortunately it may be an issue of incompatibility with OS 6 and we may be out of luck! Blackberry really should tweak the app store so as to flag apps that have not been tested with the new operating system.

my temporary "solution" has been to install the free version of StormSlider and assign it to the convenience key. but man, how I hate to give up that one key. the other drawback is that you no longer see the home screen and its indicators of types of messages, etc received.

c'mon BlackBerry, give us some kind of two-step unlock option in a software update - press unlock button and swipe the screen. not everyone uses a holster!
    08-16-10 03:20 PM
    rsasecure,

please give us an update when you hear back... unfortunately it may be an issue of incompatibility with OS 6 and we may be out of luck! Blackberry really should tweak the app store so as to flag apps that have not been tested with the new operating system.

my temporary "solution" has been to install the free version of StormSlider and assign it to the convenience key. but man, how I hate to give up that one key. the other drawback is that you no longer see the home screen and its indicators of types of messages, etc received.

c'mon BlackBerry, give us some kind of two-step unlock option in a software update - press unlock button and swipe the screen. not everyone uses a holster!
    Hey Somainer,

You got it. As soon as I hear something I will post it. I thought since Crackberry and Appworld had this listed as working with the Torch 9800 that it would actually work with the Torch 9800 (Stupid Me).

Crackberry - Blackberry Storm 2 9520, 9550, 9800 (BlackBerry OS 5.0 Touch Screen, 6.0 Touch Screen)

Blackberry Appworld - This application supports all devices
    08-16-10 03:45 PM
    I'm definitely having issues with this too. The lock on the top is way too sensitive and I don't want to enter a password everytime I open my phone. Since this is a touchscreen device you should be able to unlock it by sliding it open or by placing your finger on the screen and swiping like on the Palm Pre or that other phone. For those who want to have the password that is fine but some of us would like another option or two.
    08-16-10 04:51 PM
    my temporary "solution" has been to install the free version of StormSlider and assign it to the convenience key.
    argh! I have since discovered that this so-called solution isn't acceptable either - due to incompatibility with event reminders. When the event reminder box pops up, I can no longer manipulate the "slide to unlock" portion of the StormSlider screen. and when i press the snooze or dismiss or open button that gets overlaid on the StormSlider screen, I get an error message "Application terminated: StormSlider has been denied the "input Simulation" permission
    08-16-10 06:02 PM
    <<<tapping foot patiently

this is pretty much a deal killer for me. I dont use holsters. I dont want something clipped to my waist and what's the point of having to use a holster in your pocket? "problem" is, it seems like such a simple fix.
    press button, swipe screen "like the other guys".... wtf?
    press button, enter passcode on touchscreen
    something.....anything!
    08-16-10 06:27 PM
    Update....

Sent a second email to Leetcom App Support and have not received a response yet.
    08-17-10 03:49 PM
    Word of warning on lock issues. I purchased otter box cover and the rubber insert is too tight along the top when you place plastic cover on. This completely locks up the phone. This drove me nuts trying to figure out why I could do nothing on my phone after numerous reboots and tests with/without cover on.

Maybe I am missing something but this appears to have been what was causing me to appear to have a locked up phone.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

08-17-10 04:06 PM
    Word of warning on lock issues. I purchased otter box cover and the rubber insert is too tight along the top when you place plastic cover on. This completely locks up the phone. This drove me nuts trying to figure out why I could do nothing on my phone after numerous reboots and tests with/without cover on.

Maybe I am missing something but this appears to have been what was causing me to appear to have a locked up phone.

Since the Otterbox cover already puts pressure on the Lock/Unlock Button it causes the Lock/Unlock Button to be very sensitive and unlocks the phone while in your pocket with the slightest touch.
    08-17-10 09:09 PM
    Just wasted $2.99 on the Storm slider for it not to be able to edit the options. Shame on me for not reading page 2.
    08-18-10 01:44 PM
    Heres an update on the two interim workarounds I have found that work. At the end of this rambling post you will find the details for acquiring and setting up both.
    1) a $4.99 workaround, using nUnlock, that can be configured to launch simply by pressing the lock button (actually launches when screen dims, but as lock button triggers dimming it also launches app). Full disclosure is I have been using on a trial basis (works 10 times for free) so I do not know if it works after you pay for it (or even if you will get a registration code if you pay). I keep re-installing it as I want to test it more before paying.
    2) a free workaround, using StormSliderLITE, that requires launching from home screen or by configuring the convenience key

I am currently experimenting with, and leaning towards the 1st option. I really like the idea of launching the program upon pressing the lock button (i.e., launching upon screen dim) because it leaves the convenience key available and has the added benefit of having the phone lock automatically if your forget to do it manually (i.e., after whatever preset you have for backlight going out). But I like the styling of the StormSlider and the potential for more options tweaking, so I may opt for that if and when the full version works with Torch.

FYI, there is a potentially equally troublesome issue with the mute button on top of the torch - see my post (and associated rant) about http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/ho...player-515857/

--------------------------
    DETAILS ABOUT EACH APPROACH

$4.99 workaround, nUnlock
    - Overview: can be configured to launch simply by pressing the lock button (actually launches when screen dims, but as lock button triggers dimming it also launches app); more info at nUnLock for BlackBerry - F.A.Q | ThinkChange
    - Installation instructions: download here: ThinkChange BlackBerry Market - nUnLock
    - Purchasing: software is try-and-buy, meaning you get 10 free uses, after which you have to buy with paypal via this link nUnLock for BlackBerry - Buy | ThinkChange which will give you an install code. I havent actually tired to purchase it, but assume it would work ok. Note that this app is actually listed in the webstore version of blackberry app world for just $2.99, but if accessed via appworld on the Torch you cannot buy it as it is not available on your device or for your carrier. See BlackBerry App World - nUnlock
    - Configuration: From home screen, click on Options/Third party applications/nUnlock and specify Fire nUnlock after screen dims = True; The first time you are presented with the slide bar screen and move the Slide to unlock button you will be prompted with some requests for permissions for the program I simply answered yes to these.

Free workaround, StormSliderLITE v 5.0.2
    - Overview: requires launching from home screen or by configuring the convenience key
    - Installation: Download the free StormSliderLITE v5.0.2 from AppWorld via your BlackBerry at BlackBerry App World - StormSlider LITE
    - Configuration: From home screen, click on Options/Device/Application Management; locate and select StormSliderLITE; click on Edit Permissions; expand Interactions category (by clicking on + sign); under Input simulation, change from Deny to Allow;
    - Assign StormSliderLITE to the convenience key; From home screen/All, click on Setup/Convenience Key; Under Convenience Key, select StormSliderLITE

ISSUES
    o Both programs mask the underlying home screen, with its excellent summary of missed calls, messages, emails etc in the status indicator area and HOPEFULLY some day a theme that includes the days calendar events and tasks.
    o With either program, if it is running without the BB lock screen engaged (e.g., you simply launch StormSliderLITE without then pressing the lock button, or in the case of nUnlock the lock button gets accidentally pressed in your pocket), then when you get an event reminder the Dismiss/Open/Snooze menu pops up and can be directly manipulated without first disabling either StormSliderLITE or nUnlock so hypothetically the reminder could be dismissed in your pocket. However, if for some reason either program is running AND the BB lock screen is active, then when you get an event reminder you have first depress the Lock button before you can manipulate the Dismiss/Open/Snooze menu.
    o With StormSliderLITE there still may be a potential problem with conflicts with the event reminders. Occasionally I dont get the full count of vibration alerts, and at least once I noticed there was no flashing LED light indicating a missed event.
    o With either program I am a little worried about battery impact. For example, I have noticed that the slide to unlock animation occasionally is stuck or moving more rapidly than usual in StormSliderLITE, and nUnlock annoying displays seconds in the time. Only time will tell
    o Both programs are also from unknown developers, so memory drain or other concerns are possible

Given the length of this, can you tell that I really, really dont want to have to swap this phone for something else?
    08-18-10 02:35 PM
    damn bro, that's a lot of info and work!
    thanks for putting that out there....

still like to kick someone for not making this as simple as it should be.
    one button on my 9000 and it locks untill I want it unlocked. and there's only one way to unlock it....
    08-18-10 06:16 PM
    Used the phone today without the password lock. I probably looked down to see it turned on 4 or 5 times. Totally unacceptable. This is a problem and I don't understand what sort of testing RIM did with this thing before they put it out to market. I never had this issue with my 9700.
    08-18-10 06:18 PM
    holy crap, i'm not the only one concerned about this!

i've had the phone in my pocket every day since Saturday and i've done everything from accidentally setting the virtual keyboard language in spanish to deleting contacts to downloading apps from the appstore.
    08-18-10 09:34 PM
    I am also frustrated with the unlock/lock issue being on a curve previously! If only you could disable that key! I didnt mind entering a password everytime on a physical keyboard (without having to slide one out). I have switched my convenience key to the Password Lock and have noticed that when i pull my phone out of my pocket to find both the screen and device lock activated... I know it defeats the purpose of having a touch screen but for those that dont always wanna slide the keyboard out or type on the screen i wish there was a cursor that appeared on the virtual keyboard that would let you type over the optical track pad...
    08-19-10 01:01 AM
    holy crap, i'm not the only one concerned about this!

i've had the phone in my pocket every day since Saturday and i've done everything from accidentally setting the virtual keyboard language in spanish to deleting contacts to downloading apps from the appstore.
    sounds like your pocket has an agenda.

I hate having to enter a password to use my phone.
    08-19-10 01:14 AM
    I got the StormSlider Paid version. True, the Options part of the program doesn't work yet on the Torch, but it locks well without a password (which I wasn't liking having to do). It's solved my problem for now. I just press the lock button (or when the screen times out, it comes on), then press lock, slide to open. No more "accidents". I'll keep an eye on the battery life, but I've had such good battery life so far, I'm not worried.
    08-19-10 01:16 AM
    Still "No-Reply" from Leetcom App Support I think Crackberry and Blackberry Appworld should take the Stormslider Paid Edition app off of the appstores until leetcomm can prove they actually have support. I purchased the paid edition because I thought they had support in the event there was an issue. Obviously they have no support and should not be allowed to charge for the app.
    08-19-10 07:40 AM
    Still "No-Reply" from Leetcom App Support I think Crackberry and Blackberry Appworld should take the Stormslider Paid Edition app off of the appstores until leetcomm can prove they actually have support. I purchased the paid edition because I thought they had support in the event there was an issue. Obviously they have no support and should not be allowed to charge for the app.
    I read the reviews on bb app world before I think about purchasing. The first page or two pretty much said don't buy it. I wish someone could figure something out.
    08-19-10 07:50 AM
    I read the reviews on bb app world before I think about purchasing. The first page or two pretty much said don't buy it. I wish someone could figure something out.
    Good point. Regardless if and app has Good or Bad reviews when you pay for an app on Crackberry or Blackberry Appworld you should get support. On top of development etc. you're paying for support.
    08-19-10 08:29 AM
    I use my blackberry pouch that i had for my 9000 in conjunction with the lock button on the top works very well i have had no issues
    08-19-10 08:50 AM
    I am using the free version of StormSlider and it works perfectly. No options, just hit the buton before I put it in pocket or holster and it won't unlock until I slide it myself. I was constantly hitting the lock/unlock button even putting it in my holster.

08-19-10 09:04 AM
    I just sent them an email regarding the lack of options issue. I highly doubt that they will reply, though. I don't know how to leave reviews for the apps, or I would leave a horrible one!
    08-19-10 09:29 AM
    O.K., so I installed StormSlider *Free Version* and it does seem to be working but is a bit quirky. I now have a convenience key set for Storm Slider and an on off key set for on/off. If I could set my on & off button on the top to bring up the StormSlider screen I'd be set.
    08-19-10 10:06 AM
118 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD