I have a Torch 9800 locked to Bell here in Canada.

I'd like to move to Virgin. If I unlock, am I able to move to Virgin and retain all the regular BB features (BBM, etc..)?

I'm confused because Bell is a CDMA provider, and so is Virgin. But, of course, my Torch has a sim card, which I always associate with GSM.
    01-19-12 08:27 AM
    Neither Bell nor Virgin have been CDMA for years now.

You may not need to unlock. If you put a Bell sim into a Virgin iPhone it works. There are several models of phones that do the same because of the network partnership and Bells ownership of Virgin. If you can get your hands on a virgin sim card first try it. All you would have to do then is buy a sim and choose a plan.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    01-19-12 08:33 AM
    I have a Torch 9800 locked to Bell here in Canada.

I'd like to move to Virgin. If I unlock, am I able to move to Virgin and retain all the regular BB features (BBM, etc..)?

I'm confused because Bell is a CDMA provider, and so is Virgin. But, of course, my Torch has a sim card, which I always associate with GSM.
    Yes it will work. Bell's 9800 is GSM.
    01-20-12 06:40 PM
    Bell and Virgin run on the same technology as Telus/Koodo. They are all now HSPA +
    01-20-12 07:50 PM
    The Blackberry 9800 can be used with GSM sim cards so it will work fine.
    All you need is to get your device unlocked and a BIS activated by your carrier.
    01-21-12 03:01 PM

You may not need to unlock. If you put a Bell sim into a Virgin iPhone it works. There are several models of phones that do the same because of the network partnership and Bells ownership of Virgin. If you can get your hands on a virgin sim card first try it. All you would have to do then is buy a sim and choose a plan.
    Turns out I didn't need to unlock. Went to Virgin store, they weren't sure if the Torch 9800 was one of the models that "just work". They popped a sim in to check, and bang, it just worked.

Thanks!
    01-21-12 03:47 PM
    That's what I thought. We were activating a virgin iPhone in store the other day and I threw my bell sim in to see if it would work and it immediately picked up the Bell settings. Not all do them do it but there are a handful that are swappable like that. Comes in handy when someone is bringing their own device in or has a dead Bell or Virgin phone and gets a cheap replacement second hand.

We don't advertise it but it's definitely a possibility. Glad it worked!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    01-21-12 03:52 PM
    Turns out I didn't need to unlock. Went to Virgin store, they weren't sure if the Torch 9800 was one of the models that "just work". They popped a sim in to check, and bang, it just worked.

Thanks!
    Glad to hear! Now time to enjoy your 9800
    01-21-12 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD