Wow as easy as 123....
    I simply called and asked to unlock my phone for traveling out of the country!

They emailed me a day later with the code
    04-14-09 04:50 PM
    yes, we know that it takes tmobile 24 hours to reply with the code.
    Any excuse that says you will be leaving the country for a while, will ok it for them to send you the unlock code.

END OF THREAD
    04-14-09 04:54 PM
    Exactly what I did... don't know if I'll use it, but I'm happy it's available if I do.
    04-14-09 05:30 PM
    I did not know that, thanks for the info mac6262!!!
    04-14-09 06:25 PM
    sweet. i should do that. lol
    04-15-09 02:31 AM
    yes, we know that it takes tmobile 24 hours to reply with the code.
    Any excuse that says you will be leaving the country for a while, will ok it for them to send you the unlock code.

END OF THREAD
    Apparently not end of thread. Quit putting up giant signs that are lies, Former president Bush

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 12:14 PM
    haha wth?? I just capitalized it and made it bold..no font increase. =)
    04-17-09 01:09 PM
    stupid question...unlocking gives you what benefits exactly?
    04-17-09 01:33 PM
    stupid question...unlocking gives you what benefits exactly?
    ooh ooh Ill take this one!

ok, unlocking just allows you to use your phone to be use with other providers.

For example, I love the 8900 but it's locked to tmobile and I have at&t. By unlocking it, I am able to use the phone on any GSM provider's network such as at&t.

Another example, if you're leaving the country for a trip or something and dont want to pay roaming/international fees, you can always buy a sim card in the country you're visiting. If your phone is unlocked, then any sim card will work. People tend to prefer using prepaid sim cards while on trips, then to pay ridiculous international roaming fees.
    04-17-09 01:37 PM
    thanks for the info mac6262!!!
    04-17-09 02:10 PM
    ooh ooh Ill take this one!

ok, unlocking just allows you to use your phone to be use with other providers.

For example, I love the 8900 but it's locked to tmobile and I have at&t. By unlocking it, I am able to use the phone on any GSM provider's network such as at&t.

Another example, if you're leaving the country for a trip or something and dont want to pay roaming/international fees, you can always buy a sim card in the country you're visiting. If your phone is unlocked, then any sim card will work. People tend to prefer using prepaid sim cards while on trips, then to pay ridiculous international roaming fees.
    Thanks for the clarification! MUCH appreciated dannieloco
    04-17-09 02:19 PM
    Wow as easy as 123....
    I simply called and asked to unlock my phone for traveling out of the country!

They emailed me a day later with the code
    I got mine in less that 24HRS i was surprised Seriously I called them like 11 in the night and go ti 10 in the morning
    04-17-09 07:12 PM
    i heard if u unlock ur phone it will not work for data. is that true? cuz i'd like to have the bold but im not gonna get an unlocked bold and use it on tmobile if i cant use internet, emails, etc
    04-18-09 11:03 PM
    That is totally untrue, where did you hear that?

04-18-09 11:31 PM
    i dont remember where i heard that. so if i buy an unlocked bold i can use it and all its functions with t-mobile??
    04-18-09 11:55 PM
    i heard if u unlock ur phone it will not work for data. is that true? cuz i'd like to have the bold but im not gonna get an unlocked bold and use it on tmobile if i cant use internet, emails, etc
    Absolutely untrue.

i dont remember where i heard that. so if i buy an unlocked bold i can use it and all its functions with t-mobile??
    If you run a Bold on T-mobile then you will not have the ability to use 3G as the hardware on the Bold is not compatible with the 3G signals that T-mobile offers. You will be able to use EDGE but the Bold does not have the enhanced EDGE hardware that the 8900 has so it will be slower as compared to the 8900.
    04-19-09 12:59 AM
    Excellent idea!

04-19-09 01:06 AM
    Absolutely untrue.

If you run a Bold on T-mobile then you will not have the ability to use 3G as the hardware on the Bold is not compatible with the 3G signals that T-mobile offers. You will be able to use EDGE but the Bold does not have the enhanced EDGE hardware that the 8900 has so it will be slower as compared to the 8900.
    thanks.
    i knew the 3G would be a no go, but i didnt know much else. i just like the idea of the better processor in the Bold, plus i like a bigger phone. the 8900 is smaller than what im used to
    04-19-09 01:16 AM
    thanks.
    i knew the 3G would be a no go, but i didnt know much else. i just like the idea of the better processor in the Bold, plus i like a bigger phone. the 8900 is smaller than what im used to
    Few things here.

First, don't let the faster processor on the Bold sway you into purchasing it. The 8900 processor is not that much slower and on top of that it has more memory than the Bold does. I have owned both devices and I can tell you they are basically on par for performance. The additional memory on the 8900 bridges the gap difference in the processor speeds.

Secondly, if the size of the devices is the only deciding factor then I highly suggest that you reconsider the 8900. Since you will be on T-mobile, there really is no comparison between the 2 phones. The 8900 is better than the Bold with T-mobile. The 8900 has improved EDGE technology while the Bold does not. This means the 8900 has 8 channels for EDGE connectivity as compared to only 2 channels on the Bold. The 8900 has UMA and the Bold does not. Those are big differences to consider. Also, you can always get a Seidio Innocase II for the 8900 to not only protect your device but also to add just a bit of bulk. This will help you bridge the gap in the size difference.
    04-19-09 01:22 AM
    thanks.
    I think one other problem people were running into when using the Bold on T-Mobile was MMS, but there are solutions to that. Just search the forums; complete instructions are available.
    04-19-09 01:24 AM
    yeah I do this with every phone that I buy. Too bad you can only unlock phones with T-Mobile once every 90 days.
    04-19-09 01:27 AM
    awesome. i was under the impression that the Bold was superior because of the processor. having read ur reply, aristile, i feel better about my purchase.
    my browser seems a little slower than my last bb's but im hoping that an upgrade to .206 will help there
    as far as my thing with the size, im just used to my last one (8820) but i am getting used to this one.
    thanks for the great info
    04-19-09 01:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD