05-05-09 09:38 PM
28 12
tools
    Why would they do that? No one there seems to know why either. I requested the code about 2 days ago and then got an email saying they're unable to process my request at this time. My account is cancelled I'm just trying to unlock my old 8320 for my sister. Anyone know any work arounds?
    04-21-09 12:39 PM
    try to google cell unlocking services. you'll have to pay but you wont be totally sol
    04-21-09 12:56 PM
    You will have to pay to unlock it now. if you where still with them they might have gave you the unlock code.
    04-21-09 12:57 PM
    That was my next attempt....didn't quite wanna go there, but if it's my only option at this point....guess I will
    04-21-09 12:57 PM
    You will have to pay to unlock it now. if you where still with them they might have gave you the unlock code.
    I could've sworn I read somewhere that it didn't matter if the SIM was inactive or not they should still do it...maybe they didn't explain far enough to say that it can be inactive but you still have to have some line of service with the carrier....meh, who knows...
    04-21-09 12:58 PM
    Did you pay your account in full after you cancelled? I know ATT wouldn't unlock a phone for my brother (few years ago) because he never paid his bill.
    04-21-09 01:01 PM
    Did you pay your account in full after you cancelled? I know ATT wouldn't unlock a phone for my brother (few years ago) because he never paid his bill.
    Yeah, I actually had a credit balance of about $78. I always paid my bill, Tmo just couldn't give me a phone or service that worked worth a shiz, lol..so I cancelled and went with VZ.
    04-21-09 01:03 PM
    Do you know anyone with a Tmobile account who could call and get it unlocked for you?
    04-21-09 01:37 PM
    Do you know anyone with a Tmobile account who could call and get it unlocked for you?
    Some of my co-workers have Tmo....that would work even though they didn't/don't have my device on their account?
    04-21-09 01:39 PM
    Some of my co-workers have Tmo....that would work even though they didn't/don't have my device on their account?

Back when I had my iPhone ,I had tmobile unlock a TMO Dash for me, they did it no questions asked.
    04-21-09 01:50 PM
    You can only unlock a phone on T-Mobile if you've been with the company for over 90 days and if the phone itself was registered on the network for that same amount of time. If you've canceled service with the company, you won't get an unlock code.
    04-21-09 04:10 PM
    Back when I had my iPhone ,I had tmobile unlock a TMO Dash for me, they did it no questions asked.
    Wow....hmmm...overall, I see how much of a pain the arse this is going to be...cripes....guess I'll have to play musical service reps until I get one that will tell me what i wanna hear and unlocks this effing phone for me
    04-21-09 04:58 PM
    You can only unlock a phone on T-Mobile if you've been with the company for over 90 days and if the phone itself was registered on the network for that same amount of time. If you've canceled service with the company, you won't get an unlock code.
    I was with them for almost 2 years...however the account was cancelled for a few days before I requested the code...so that may be it...who knows
    04-21-09 04:59 PM
    You can use my service to unlock your phone.
    04-21-09 05:36 PM
    Go read the SIM Unlock Policy again. You can request an unlock on a canceled account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-09 10:17 PM
    If you know anyone else with a tmo curve, try asking them to unlock it for you. If youve been with them for over 90 days, they should have no problem giving you the code. Sometimes the 'im going on a trip to italy' works.

04-21-09 10:38 PM
    I've actually had somewhat the same issue, but they've denied it twice, and I have yet to try it again.
    Like I learned the other day it depends on who you talk to. Most reps don't know what there talking about. Musical chairs method works like a charm

04-22-09 12:00 AM
    Go read the SIM Unlock Policy again. You can request an unlock on a canceled account.

Then why was his request denied?
    04-22-09 12:44 AM
    Just call them and tell them you need to speak to that persons manager until you get it taken care of, works everytime.

04-23-09 12:55 AM
    I was with them for almost 2 years...however the account was cancelled for a few days before I requested the code...so that may be it...who knows
    Which is why you can't get it unlocked now, you do not have active service. You could keep trying, but they don't have to do anything for you now that you have actually left.

Tip for the future for all GSM carriers. If you plan to leave, and you have phones you wish to get unlocked for free, do so BEFORE canceling your account.

Once you leave, you only options are:

(1) Find a friend that has the carrier you wish to have the phone unlocked from, and give them the IMEI number to call in to get it unlocked. I have done this countless time with AT&T and T-Mobile for friends.

(2) Pay to have it unlocked through one of the many online or local cell phone unlocking services.
    04-23-09 03:48 PM
    I always call T-Mo to unlock my phones as soon as I get them. That way I'm covered in case I need it in the future.
    04-27-09 05:42 PM
    Sorry I haven't been back to post...but yeah...I called back and got another rep to put the request in and they send the code like the next day. He said the first request looked jacked up in the system...all is well :P
    04-27-09 05:50 PM
    Good enough. I figured if you weren't with us anymore they wouldn't do it, but guess not. Good news.
    04-28-09 02:19 AM
    04-28-09 02:06 PM
    I absolutely disagree with you partially on this one, and here's why:

I've been with TMO for yeeeaaarrrssss (when they were VoiceStream). I bought an 8100 off CraigsList, had it for MAYBE 10 days before re-selling it. Prior to resale, I had it unlocked by T-Mobile, no problem.

You do not have to have the phone for 90 days for them to unlock it, HOWEVER, the part about being with TMO for over 90 days and having an active account is true.
    04-29-09 05:38 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD