04-24-10 02:00 AM
59 123
tools
    Why did this thread even come back after so many months??

The internal GPS in Verizon blackberries (well, at least the Curve 8330) was "unlocked" with the OS upgrade to version 4.5.

If you have a Verizon Curve, make sure you're running the latest OS.
    Only for BB Maps. All other 3rd party GPS programs (Google Maps, etc.), can't access the GPS.
    07-07-09 11:47 PM
    Actually, that is not true. I have figured out a way to unlock the internal GPS in any BlackBerry that has an internal GPS chip that is blocked by the carrier. The unlocking process is quite simple and to be honest, I'm surprised no one had figured out how to do it yet.

Given that all of the newer BlackBerry's have the GPS enabled, I'm assuming that this topic is somewhat outdated (as the 8330 is an older phone) so I won't get into the details of how to unlock the GPS unless there is still a demand for this feature.

PM me or reply to this thread if anyone is interested in knowing how to FULLY unlock the GPS on ANY BlackBerry.

If I get enough replies, I'll put together a simple tutorial and post it in a new thread.

Cheers,

randyman
    04-23-10 03:57 PM
    Given the enormous amount of time and energy expended on this subject, I'd like to see your tutorial.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-10 04:02 PM
    My Curve will be dead once my Incredible arrives next week. This is probably a dumb question, but I'm curious, . . . would the GPS work even if the Curve is deactivated by the carrier (Verizon)?
    04-23-10 04:04 PM
    LOL, I must agree with you on that. I myself had the 8330 and spent quite a bit of time trying figure this out, but I was looking in all the wrong places. It wasn't until last night that it hit me, and I successfully unlocked a friends 8330.

This method should work for ANY BlackBerry on ANY network.

I'll throw something together when I get home from work tonight.

Stay tuned.

-randyman
    04-23-10 04:08 PM
    My Curve will be dead once my Incredible arrives next week. This is probably a dumb question, but I'm curious, . . . would the GPS work even if the Curve is deactivated by the carrier (Verizon)?
    It's not a dumb question at all.

Given that I have not tried it, I cannot confirm nor deny this. Although, I would bet that it will work. The internal GPS module on the 8330 supports both assisted and autonomous modes. Autonomous meaning the phone can calculate it's position without the assistance of a cellular network.

Having said that, the phone will be able to calculate your position, but what good does your latitude / longitude coordinates do you? Unless you have an app that does not require an internet connection to download the map images, this feature would be somewhat useless, I suppose.

-randyman
    04-23-10 04:17 PM
    It's not a dumb question at all.

Given that I have not tried it, I cannot confirm nor deny this. Although, I would bet that it will work. The internal GPS module on the 8330 supports both assisted and autonomous modes. Autonomous meaning the phone can calculate it's position without the assistance of a cellular network.

Having said that, the phone will be able to calculate your position, but what good does your latitude / longitude coordinates do you? Unless you have an app that does not require an internet connection to download the map images, this feature would be somewhat useless, I suppose.

-randyman
    Thank you for the detailed answer, randy.

I sure wish I could have unlocked the GPS 2 years ago. lol. Still, I'll be happy to see everyone else here benefit from your discovery! Way to go!
    04-23-10 04:31 PM
    It shouldn't work at all knowing Verizon and haven't seen this be verified elsewhere.
    04-23-10 07:17 PM
    Folks, I apologize for the delay but I haven't been able to get my hands on an 8330. Although, you can all rest assured that as soon as I have the phone in my possession I will assemble a full-fledged-newb-proof tutorial with screenshots and all.

I should be getting one in the next day or so, so kindly bare with me.

Thank you for your patience.

-randyman
    04-24-10 02:00 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD