04-24-10 02:00 AM
59 123
tools
    I getting Tired of hearing all this complaining about having to pay for GPS at Verizon. It is a well known fact that Verizon has monopoly on it's GPS and forces you to purchase it's VZNav. Why purchase a BB from Verizon knowing that you'll have to pay for it's GPS service, then complain about it afterwards. If you're against Verizon crippling it's GPS, then take your hard earn $$ elsewhere that doesn't cripple it phones. Nobody forces anyone to go with Verizon, and each and everyone of us still do have the privilege of voting with our pocketbook.
    PS. If you purchase a BB from Verizon and didn't know that they charge for their GPS service, blame yourself for not researching your purchase throughly enough to know what you're getting for your hard earn Money.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-08 03:51 AM
    Hey all I am new. This is my first post.

I am no legal expert but dosn't this seem like it is illegal. They don't own the GPS hardware. I would imagine that this is simlar to the issue with Comcast who just got busted big time for blocking internet access for certain places. Even though some of the content was illegal comcast still wasn't allowed to block it. I could be wrong but I think its just a matter of time before they get caught. maybe we should start a petition and notify the FCC or who ever it is that regulates this stuff.
    First off, I empathize with your situation. I too have Verizon.

Verizon does not advertise the autonomous GPS anywhere on their website or in print; It, however, does advertise that you may use VZNavigator for GPS. I can see it being different if they advertise auto GPS and sell it without it available. And, even if they did advertise the autonomous GPS in the past, you would have to prove damages. Go ahead, prove damages. It would cost you more to go to court than to simply return the phone and go somewhere else. That's right, you can go to another carrier within the 30-day period. You don't have to stay with one carrier because YOU are unhappy with it.

Remember, this would be a little different if Verizon clearly advertized the auto GPS feature. I think, however, they've learned that it does not work, since they got sued over in 2005 re: the bluetooth feature.

Good luck-D
    07-28-08 10:58 AM
    I getting Tired of hearing all this complaining about having to pay for GPS at Verizon. It is a well known fact that Verizon has monopoly on it's GPS and forces you to purchase it's VZNav. Why purchase a BB from Verizon knowing that you'll have to pay for it's GPS service, then complain about it afterwards. If you're against Verizon crippling it's GPS, then take your hard earn $$ elsewhere that doesn't cripple it phones. Nobody forces anyone to go with Verizon, and each and everyone of us still do have the privilege of voting with our pocketbook.
    PS. If you purchase a BB from Verizon and didn't know that they charge for their GPS service, blame yourself for not researching your purchase throughly enough to know what you're getting for your hard earn Money.

I could have just said "Ditto". ;-)
    07-28-08 10:59 AM
    Count me in as one of the gullible ones with Verizon. I've had my Curve for about two months and just got Google Maps and Poynt only to find out that they're basically useless. I may see if I can take the phone back because it's obviously "defective."
    07-29-08 07:23 PM
    I downloaded Google Maps today after downloading 4.5.0.56 and when it get to one of the accept gps connection prompts it locks my curve up and I have to pull the battery to reset it.
    08-12-08 02:13 PM
    cheap consumers, lol
    08-12-08 02:24 PM
    bunch of people have sent us emails that Verizon has now unlocked the GPS functionality for the BlackBerry 8130 and 8330. This will allow Verizon subscribers to finally use BlackBerry Maps (by selecting the internal GPS option in your settings)! However, Google Maps will not work as Verizon deems it a security risk.

Youre going to need OS 4.5 to experience GPS freedom on your Verizon BlackBerry. Thankfully, we have all the information you need to upgrade to OS 4.5 at the links below.

w.w.w.blackberrycool.com/2008/11/blackberry-os-45-now-available-from-blackberrycomupgrades-no-seriously

4.5.0.97 to be exact
    12-28-08 12:02 PM

Not everyone knows that they lock it before they buy it.

Verizon advertises phones that have a GPS unit (and other features) to attract customers and don't advertise that they lock the feature down. The essentially hold a feature of the phone hostage to a monthly fee.

They deserve to lose business for this and they deserve all the complaints they get.

If you purchase a BB from Verizon and didn't know that they charge for their GPS service, blame yourself for not researching your purchase throughly enough to know what you're getting for your hard earn Money.
    No, if you purchase a BB from Verizon and didn't know that they charge for their GPS service then blame yourself for choosing a ******** company, RETURN THE PRODUCT ASAP and never buy from Verizon again.

12-28-08 01:20 PM
    Not everyone knows that they lock it before they buy it.

Verizon advertises phones that have a GPS unit (and other features) to attract customers and don't advertise that they lock the feature down. The essentially hold a feature of the phone hostage to a monthly fee.
    Please provide a cite for this claim. I doubt you'll find any advertisement that states VZW phones support GPS. Even RIM qualifies the specifications of their phones to include the disclaimer that GPS access is carrier-specific.

What you will find is that Verizon has been very careful about what they advertise, in that they've claimed only that their phones are capable of providing turn-by-turn directions through VZ Navigator. ...
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 12-28-08 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Argumentative
    12-28-08 03:37 PM
    Please provide a cite for this claim. I doubt you'll find any advertisement that states VZW phones support GPS. Even RIM qualifies the specifications of their phones to include the disclaimer that GPS access is carrier-specific.

What you will find is that Verizon has been very careful about what they advertise, in that they've claimed only that their phones are capable of providing turn-by-turn directions through VZ Navigator. ...
    People can see the specs of the storm and see that it has a GPS and they can see that pretty much every other provider doesn't prevent their users from using their devices to their full functionality - some might assume that verizon is just as nice. Yes, verizon has their legal ducks in a row (although they have been sued over this - http://news.findlaw.com/andrews/bt/tel/20071210/20071210_wyatt.html - I don't know any results from the lawsuit).

The point is they are intentionally disabling a device simply to force people into using their navigation service. Is that legal? Sure. Is it being customer friendly? Definitely not and they deserve to lose business for it especially when other companies like AT&T are doing the right thing and selling the device the way it was designed - to allow you to use whichever navigation program you want.

I left verizon because when I went into a store they sold me a phone that specifically said it had bluetooth with no small text saying that it was hamstringed and the salesman lied and told me that it wasn't. Well, they locked up the bluetooth capability just to force people into using their picture messaging service.

12-28-08 07:58 PM
    threads like these make me glad sprint isn't totally third reich
    01-07-09 12:33 AM
    The point is they are intentionally disabling a device simply to force people into using their navigation service. Is that legal? Sure. Is it being customer friendly? Definitely not and they deserve to lose business for it especially when other companies like AT&T are doing the right thing and selling the device the way it was designed - to allow you to use whichever navigation program you want.
    I'd heard many people say otherwise. There are articles all over the Internet about AT&T crippling GPS capability on Blackberry and other devices. So I go to their site and poke around. What is the first thing I see?

AT&T Exclusive! Get the fastest BlackBerry on the fastest 3G network. The global BlackBerry Bold(TM) smartphone is designed to give business professionals both cutting edge functionality and performance under one bold intuitive design. It comes fully-loaded with integrated GPS for AT&T Navigator and Wi-Fi* for access at 17,000+ AT&T hotspots nationwide. *Wi-Fi requires a BlackBerry data rate plan and a Wi-Fi capable BlackBerry. The BlackBerry Bold smartphone has a brilliant color LCD screen for exceptional definition and clarity. Pictures and videos are vibrant and sharp while web pages, documents, presentations, and messages come to life with exceptional quality and contrast. You can even talk on the phone while sending and receiving email or accessing the web. To top it off, you can use the Bold as a worldphone in over 205+ countries for voice and 150+ countries for data. Get more speed and more power with the BlackBrry Bold.
    Emphasis added to the exact quote from ATT Wireless.

Pretty clear, but still possibly ambiguous. It comes fully-loaded with integrated GPS for AT&T Navigator probably means the integrated GPS is only for AT&T Nav, but it could mean AT&T Nav and other apps. So I pick up the phone and call them.

Spoke with Nancy, who tells me how much she loves her Bold. Asked if I chose AT&T, if the very nice looking Bold would run Garmin app using the native GPS. She told me no, it would only run AT&T Nav & some other apps already on the phone, but that AT&T Nav is ONLY $9.99/month. I thank her and she again tries to get me to commit. When I tell her I prefer Garmin, she again tries to sell me AT&T Nav, then gives up and tells me I could buy a GPS puck. I thank her again & hang up.

I wait a few minutes & call back. The next rep is Rick. This poor guy had no idea what I was talking about and ended up transferring me to Blackberry tech support. The nice lady there is Tricia, who tells me she is in Blackberry support. I ask her the same question and she plainly tells me that the GPS on the Bold is only capable of working turn-by-turn with AT&T Nav, but that she highly recommends AT&T Nav since there are no upgrade fees or charges for updates.

Interestingly, I only have to pay for an upgrade on my Garmin if I buy a new phone. Last time I bought it (third party vendor), I paid about $74 for my software, which works out to about 7.5 months of AT&T Nav (or VZNav).

So I ask Ms.Tricia, my very polite AT&T Tech Support Lady about the Curve. She tells me the same thing about the Curve - that the GPS unit is locked down for network security reasons.

So now it gets better. My buddy has a VZW Curve (his work phone) & an AT&T Bold (his wife works for AT&T Mobility). We take my Garmin software & install it on his Bold. Oops, no GPS connection. We triple check the settings and nothing. We pair a Freedom Keychain to his phone and bingo! It works - so it isn't a software issue. We shut off the puck & the Bold returns to dumb mode. He recently updated his phone & connects both of them for backup & updates every day. We do a trial of the Mapquest service and nope - no pinpointing our location without the puck on. BB Maps works & Google Maps works (but not well).

Was this an isolated incident to go along with two of three AT&T reps confirming fears of crippled GPS (and one totally clueless rep)?

Locked down is locked down, gang. I don't care if it allows you to use Google Maps or BBMaps or whatever. If it is not available to any app you want to install, either the carrier has it locked down or the manufacturer did it.

I don't see VZW or T-Mo or Alltel or (insert your non-AT&T carrier here) customers going out of their way to tell everyone what crooks AT&T is for locking down the GPS capabilities. Is it a latent inferiority complex that AT&T customers have that cause them to continually go out and browbeat the competition when their favorite carrier is doing the same thing?

I couldn't care less if a BB has full GPS capability (mine does) or WiFi (several states that don't already restrict it are pondering laws prohibiting connection to wireless networks without prior permission). I haven't paid a dime for a VZW device in over 10 years, so if I have to buy a puck for GPS, so be it. If not, my cars have nav systems and I have several handheld GPS units cluttering my drawers.

BTW - I saw fully functional GPS devices from TomTom & Garmin at SamsClub & Costco in the past few weeks for under $100 - and they had much larger screens than my BB.

So, most of us really don't care what AT&T fanboyss say their carrier is superior in - we prefer the better signal and better customer service that VZW offers.

And in response to the original question (ancient as it is), yes there is a way to do it - I just don't know how to change the firmware programming to allow it.
    01-12-09 11:16 PM
    If the gps is locked down to bbm, then how does the Freedom Keychain 2000 or other such devices work exactly? They pair to the phone, but then what? Has anybody noticed google maps on the bb seem less accurate these days or is it just me??
    01-28-09 02:17 PM
    Um, the GPS in my AT&T 8310 is fully-functional with 3rd party apps, and I've never paid for GPS service. They most certainly do NOT lock down the GPS, not at all. The only thing you can't do is use BB Maps (and you can even do that, there's a work-around) but since Google Maps works in full GPS mode there's no need for it.

ETA: I specifically tested my Curve with nav4All, a voice turn-by-turn app, and it worked perfectly. I also rode shotgun while my wife drove and I ran Google Maps: the little dot moved in perfect sync with the car, updating position in real time. Ditto with numerous GPS-enabled search programs for finding goods and services.
    Last edited by Spinny; 01-28-09 at 02:48 PM.
    01-28-09 02:46 PM
    If the gps is locked down to bbm, then how does the Freedom Keychain 2000 or other such devices work exactly? They pair to the phone, but then what? Has anybody noticed google maps on the bb seem less accurate these days or is it just me??
    The Freedom Keychain 2000 IS an autonomous GPS. It replaces the GPS in the phone. It uses Bluetooth to pass GPS location strings to whatever app is running on the BlackBerry. The Freedom has no display or user software. It's just a GPS receiver. It will work with any application that runs on the BlackBerry.
    01-28-09 03:08 PM
    sorry for ressurecting an old post, but this was a small concern of mine as I was about to get a new 8330. Switched the gps from 911 to the other setting and it pinpoints my location on googlemaps and bbmaps and works with the navi. setting on both.
    06-02-09 10:13 AM
    I can't see your carrier on wap, but I assume you are not on Verizon. Google Maps cannot access the internal GPS on Verizon 8330's. It can on other carriers. If you are using Verizon, Google can approximate your position from the cell tower you are using. This technique will typically locate you within 1700 meters.

06-02-09 12:36 PM
    Through endless forum searching its obvious that the Verizon 8330's GPS will not work with any 3rd party app besides possibly Google map.... my question is does anyone know a decent route recording method within Google Maps or BBMaps? Ideally I want to be able to record my route while cycling.. Thanks for anyone that can help
    06-10-09 05:32 PM
    Google Maps will work, but it won't use the internal GPS on a Verizon 8330. So it's useless for your purpose. I don't know any way to record routes in BBMaps. I don't know if VZNav can or not. I recommend you invest in a Garmin Forerunner wrist GPS. You can export your route to Google Earth with it. It works great.

06-10-09 06:19 PM
    go to kijiji.com and search "verizon gps unlock"
    06-13-09 12:24 PM
    Why not just pay the damn 10/mo. and quit whining about it. Its 10/mo big deal!
    Its 2 beers/mo,2 extra drinks with a dinner out.2 meals at BK. Its not going to kill you to just pay the 10bucks.,either that or return it and get a diff phone w/diff carrier..amazes me that people will buy 3rd party apps that are useless but wont spend 10/mo for something that works. IE:VZ Nav

JC
    06-13-09 05:35 PM
    Its 2 beers/mo,2 extra drinks with a dinner out.2 meals at BK. Its not going to kill you to just pay the 10bucks.,either that or return it and get a diff phone w/diff carrier..amazes me that people will buy 3rd party apps that are useless but wont spend 10/mo for something that works. IE:VZ Nav

JC
    Some of us do not want to reward a company for locking down a feature that is pre built in the product. If you have no problems doing so, feel free to pay them, that is your choice. What doesn't make sense at all, is that you read the thread title, knew what it was going to be about, but came in here and whined about the thread anyways. If you don't like the thread subject, stay out.
    06-19-09 07:18 PM
    Well here is the big kicker for me.
    a separate GPS wont do the trick.
    Especially when your trying to put anti-theft software on the phone that reports its location>
    07-07-09 11:01 PM
    Why did this thread even come back after so many months??

The internal GPS in Verizon blackberries (well, at least the Curve 8330) was "unlocked" with the OS upgrade to version 4.5.

If you have a Verizon Curve, make sure you're running the latest OS.
    07-07-09 11:05 PM

JC
    Part of the problem with just giving in and paying the $10/month is that this doesn't give you full GPS capabilities. Geotagging won't work, you can't do any geocaching, and other GPS-aware apps still won't work. It would be different if paying the $10/month completely unlocked the GPS, but it doesn't affect other apps' ability to access GPS information - they are still locked out.

VZW's PDE authorization process means only specific apps can access assisted GPS information, and until they change their authorization procedure, GPS will be limited. Paying the additional $10/month won't change this.

07-07-09 11:11 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD