I just upgraded to a Tour. I have someone here (in Canada) who wants to buy my previous phone, an 8130 Pearl, but she's taking it to Ghana in Africa.

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to "unlock" this phone like you can with a GSM phone, and if so, will it work in Ghana? I know this is a real tough one but perhaps someone out there would know the ACCURATE and CORRECT response.

Need an answer ASAP. Many thanks!
    07-20-09 06:33 PM
    i've personally never heard of anyone unlocking a phone that doesn't have a SIM card slot. the 8130 is a cdma only non SIM phone. The only blackberries i've heard of people unlocking are world phones, or BB's from GSM service providers. I could be wrong.

It also depends on what type of service is available in Ghana. They might not even have CDMA providers in that area. If it's GSM only, i dont see any way you could use an 8130 at all.
    07-20-09 09:18 PM
    Yes you can unlock it and use it in Ghana, I think if you ask your carrier they can unlock it but say you are going away on business or something cause they can do it at their discretion
    (My sister has a pearl that was bought in the US and my dad unlocked it and she is taking hers to Ghana)... just make sure you turn data services off if you don't wanna lose your credit like that! You will still be able to make/receive calls and texts
    07-23-09 02:15 PM
    You cannot unlock the 8130 like you can unlock GSM phones. If the carrier in Africa is a GSM network (they use SIM cards), there's no way you'll be able to use it over there. If they're a CDMA network, it's more about whether or not they'll activate another carrier's phone on their network.
    CDMA phones are not "locked"
    07-23-09 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD