Thinking of unlocking my 8900, im with Rogers. I travel twice a year out of country, sometimes a few more times. Can this "screw up" my phone?? And as i understand, you can place other SIMs in your phone...if i were to travel to the US, where would i get one?? at a local phone provider??

Thanks.
    02-16-09 09:14 PM
    Unlocking allows you to use other carriers SIM cards in your device. That's all you gain and you don't lose anything.

You can pickup a SIM from any GSM provider.
    02-16-09 09:25 PM
    Exactly. It won't mess up your phone. It's handy to have if you travel.
    02-16-09 09:46 PM
    Hold on...you can indeed get a local sim card to get a local number and pay cheaper voice rates, but you of course won't get BB data! Only sim cards that are BB enabled can continue to get you the data you pay for every month. In the US, unless you are a monthly subscriber with a BB plan, you cannot get BB data. If you go to Europe, all local prepaid cards will not give you BB data, but just voice. I only know one service from the US for Europe travelers that provides such thing but it does not work for travelers to the US.
    02-21-09 02:32 PM
    Hold on...you can indeed get a local sim card to get a local number and pay cheaper voice rates, but you of course won't get BB data! Only sim cards that are BB enabled can continue to get you the data you pay for every month. In the US, unless you are a monthly subscriber with a BB plan, you cannot get BB data. If you go to Europe, all local prepaid cards will not give you BB data, but just voice. I only know one service from the US for Europe travelers that provides such thing but it does not work for travelers to the US.
    Some UK providers offer pay as you go blackberry service.
    02-21-09 02:46 PM
    Bottomline there are no negatives.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 02:59 PM
    I have an unlocked 8900 and I love it- I have yet to come upon any issues!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 03:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD