Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've posted-

I'm new to GSM/world phones. I travel out of the country at least once a year, and currently have a couple of GSM phones that we use when we need them overseas. It would be nice to be able to use those SIM cards in our new Tours. If we unlock them - is there a downside? I understand that it's permanent..

Also, slightly off topic, but how do the global plans work? I understand that Verizon offers temporary plans for vacationing, so would we be able to use our blackberries in Mexico, for instance, just as we use them here? Would we be hit with ridiculous data charges?

Thanks!

-Jimmy
    07-18-09 07:37 PM
    Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've posted-

I'm new to GSM/world phones. I travel out of the country at least once a year, and currently have a couple of GSM phones that we use when we need them overseas. It would be nice to be able to use those SIM cards in our new Tours. If we unlock them - is there a downside? I understand that it's permanent..

Also, slightly off topic, but how do the global plans work? I understand that Verizon offers temporary plans for vacationing, so would we be able to use our blackberries in Mexico, for instance, just as we use them here? Would we be hit with ridiculous data charges?

Thanks!

-Jimmy
    honestly i can't think of any downside to unlocking a phone. as far as verizon and their international plans im not too confident. but regardless i think you will be able to see a huge difference in coverage.
    07-18-09 07:40 PM
    I just got back from Europe. The Global plan is about $69/month. They will pro-rate that from start to finish so a two-week trip will cost less. At the same time, it replaces your normal, in my case $30 Bis plan. So in effect you are paying about $40 more on the Global plan monthly.

Data is unlimited. Calls will cost $0.99/minute including calls in Europe and back to the US - both incoming and outgoing. Your phone number remains the same. So, while you can call anyone in Europe for about ONE DOLLAR per minute, anyone in Europe will be calling you in the US - so they may be reluctant to return calls. I have no idea what they pay for such calls.

NOW - caution - I do not have any idea how this plays out in Mexico.

I cannot think of any ills associated with UNlocking the sim slot. You can use it or not. At least, on my 8830 and similar models, there must be a sim card in the slot for the unlock procedure to work. It can be ANY sim card, not only verizon's.

I am still waiting to see my bill and hope it all worked out!!!!!
    07-18-09 08:40 PM
    I just got back from Europe. The Global plan is about $69/month. They will pro-rate that from start to finish so a two-week trip will cost less. At the same time, it replaces your normal, in my case $30 Bis plan. So in effect you are paying about $40 more on the Global plan monthly.

Data is unlimited. Calls will cost $0.99/minute including calls in Europe and back to the US - both incoming and outgoing. Your phone number remains the same. So, while you can call anyone in Europe for about ONE DOLLAR per minute, anyone in Europe will be calling you in the US - so they may be reluctant to return calls. I have no idea what they pay for such calls.

NOW - caution - I do not have any idea how this plays out in Mexico.

I cannot think of any ills associated with UNlocking the sim slot. You can use it or not. At least, on my 8830 and similar models, there must be a sim card in the slot for the unlock procedure to work. It can be ANY sim card, not only verizon's.

I am still waiting to see my bill and hope it all worked out!!!!!
    Thank you very much! The cost isn't bad for data, around $35 is well worth it (for me) to have unlimited data. If I'm in a good service area, I can tether, and save on wifi costs. The calling plan sounds awful, but it's not very important for me to be able to make calls when I'm out of the country. I'll definitely check on VZW's rates in mexico, however.

On another note: Do you pay $30 for BIS for any particular reason? I vaguely recall VZW introducing a slightly different plan (it was missing something that I didn't need, but I don't remember what right now), right after I got my Curve. I currently pay $45/month, and I asked the rep when I bought my Tour last night if there were any other plans, and he told me no.. I even asked him again, because I thought there was a $30 plan..
    07-18-09 08:55 PM
    You are getting ripped off, there is no reason to be on the $45 data/email plan unless you are on BES. If you are on BIS (personal email, not on an Enterprise server), then a $30 data/email plan is for you.
    07-18-09 09:01 PM
    I mean they charge you 64.99 or 69.99, but after that it is unlimited... you may want to ask them about mexico... I hear that because they are on CDMA it charges minutes when you access data.

and by them I mean the verizon wireless global department
    07-18-09 09:02 PM
    You are getting ripped off, there is no reason to be on the $45 data/email plan unless you are on BES. If you are on BIS (personal email, not on an Enterprise server), then a $30 data/email plan is for you.
    Yeah.. that sounds like Verizon.

They have the best network in the country IMO. They have the best TV/internet IMO (fios). But their customer service sucks. I guess it's because of those first two things..

Thanks!
    07-18-09 09:11 PM
    yeah, I always thought $30 was a lot for internet and data, but $45 is kinda ridiculous
    07-18-09 09:12 PM
    I know! And my dad also has a berry and neither of us use bes. We're going to the vzw store with a list of problems lol. One being the $30 overcharge/mo

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 12:15 AM
    I wonder what would happen if say one day, you were on a plan for say $100/month, switched to this international plan for a trip but found out when you got back that your old $100 was no longer in existance, you were only kept on it because you were grandfathered on, but now that same plan costs say $120. Would they allow you to come back from your trip and return to your old plan or not?
    07-19-09 09:48 AM
    they would not. I used to have an old plan that went away 3 years ago. When I got the storm, I had to get the data plan and was in turn forced to gt more minutes
    07-19-09 11:37 AM
    Yeah when you renew your contract you'd probably lose the plan, but if you temporarily changed plans to travel overseas, you could probably get it back. If you yell at Verizon enough, they tend to do the right thing..
    07-19-09 02:25 PM
    there really is no downside..

if you unlock through verizon I believe they remove the ESN change feature from your online account though..
    07-19-09 02:34 PM
    Yeah.. that sounds like Verizon.

They have the best network in the country IMO. They have the best TV/internet IMO (fios). But their customer service sucks. I guess it's because of those first two things..

Thanks!
    No offense but YOU control what you are billed ask questions that's what grown ups do...My thing is why do grown people act like children...research before you buy don't just say ok I takey it & away you go....what company do you know that purposely charges you more? I mean who would want to hear people B*tch & moan....hmmm no one.

The unlocking alot of companies say they don't support...like when I had a jasjar device that was unlocked & used it on at&t back in 2005 they don't "have to" support it....
    07-19-09 02:39 PM
    No offense but YOU control what you are billed ask questions that's what grown ups do...My thing is why do grown people act like children...research before you buy don't just say ok I takey it & away you go....what company do you know that purposely charges you more? I mean who would want to hear people B*tch & moan....hmmm no one.

The unlocking alot of companies say they don't support...like when I had a jasjar device that was unlocked & used it on at&t back in 2005 they don't "have to" support it....

its true they don't have to support the device I guess but its in there best interest to IMO rather have a happy customer then a non happy one regardless
    07-19-09 02:41 PM
    there really is no downside..

if you unlock through verizon I believe they remove the ESN change feature from your online account though..
    Is there any particular reason I'd want to change my ESN?
    07-19-09 02:49 PM
    A rep in the Verizon store told me that if you unlock one of their phones, you won't be able to use it on the Verizon network again after that. Personally, I bought a cheap (non-smartphone) phone in Europe where they come already unlocked and use that for calls, and then use the Verizon Global Email plan (prorated for the length of the trip) to get my email.
    07-20-09 12:58 AM
    [QUOTE=Jimbro727;3091864]Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've posted-

Thanks!

-Jimmy[/QUO

No downside that i know of , I have my Tour unlocked and and it works fine bettter than most other unlocked BB. Any further info just ask.I use aa ATT sim card on my Telus Tour.
    07-20-09 01:06 AM
    A rep in the Verizon store told me that if you unlock one of their phones, you won't be able to use it on the Verizon network again after that. Personally, I bought a cheap (non-smartphone) phone in Europe where they come already unlocked and use that for calls, and then use the Verizon Global Email plan (prorated for the length of the trip) to get my email.
    Not sure how much truth there is to that, since the GSM/UMTS radios aren't active when you're at home anyway. You'll be on the CDMA network and there's no way they can tell you've unlocked the GSM portion. I'm sure there's also a few unlocked Storm owners that can confirm they've had no problems...
    07-20-09 01:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD