09-08-10 11:35 AM
46 12
tools
    Maybe I had a bad Customer Service Representative, but AT&T won't give me my MEP Code : ( Please advise, I need to have it unlocked as I am on Vodafone!
    08-20-10 10:03 AM
    Use Horizon Wireless to get it done...
    08-20-10 10:04 AM
    Just buy one on Ebay. You can get it for 99 cents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-10 10:05 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f207/fr...ockers-514098/

Follow the link in the first for the crackberry special. Download the free tool that reads your meid and then copy both lines it gives you in the box further down on the page. It cost me like 6 dollars or something. Make sure you select that the phone has "new" security and you pay through paypal which I like that it keeps things private

08-20-10 10:18 AM
    are you a NEW AT&T customer?
    maybe that's the reason.
    comparing it to someone with 2+ yrs with AT&T and just upgraded or bought the phone outright.

"they" might think you're gonna end your contract and sell the phone.
    just my 2 cents
    08-20-10 10:19 AM
    AT&T is not obligated to unlock any phone. Just use a third party to provide an unlock code
    08-20-10 11:43 AM
    AT&T is not obligated to unlock any phone. Just use a third party to provide an unlock code
    but they do it for free regardless.

just keep calling. you will eventually get a CSR who does it with no problems. i've unlocked every blackberry i've had to date, and the most it's taken is a 2nd phone call.
    08-20-10 01:09 PM
    Just paid the $6 to Horizon Wireless, I hate staying on the Phone for ages, just hope they hurry up, looking like a ***** with a Brand New Phone that doesn't work. My Old Gold BlackBerry is all Smashed...
    08-20-10 01:20 PM
    Yeauh, according to the terms of their class action lawsuit settlement they certainly are obligated if the customer meets the requirements. All except the iPhone and any phone with an exclusive agreement longer than 10 months. Phones with a shorter exclusive must be unlocked upon request after the exclusive is over and all other phones must be unlock upon request. No if's and's or but's.

Here's the actual terms of the settlement

1) Customers with postpaid accounts who have completed a minimum of 90 days of active service and are in good standing and current in their payments.

(2) Customers with prepaid accounts who have provided a detailed receipt or other proof of purchase of the handset.

(3) Customers who own handsets for which AT&T has an exclusive sales arrangement with a manufacturer of less than 10 months will have to wait until the 10-month period expires before they can receive an unlocking code.

AT&T Settles Lawsuits Over Software Locks on Mobile Devices

From what I understand the exclusive on the Torch is 6 months.

Last edited by xandermac; 08-20-10 at 02:03 PM.
    08-20-10 01:51 PM
    So wait the 10mos, call customer service x amount of times or spend the $2 for an unlock code. Which one is more cost effective? Hmmmm.

08-20-10 02:16 PM
    So wait the 10mos, call customer service x amount of times or spend the $2 for an unlock code. Which one is more cost effective? Hmmmm.

Its just an explaination as to why AT&T themselves won't unlock the phone just yet. Obviously he's better off going a different route.

It was also a little information to enlighten you.
    08-20-10 02:20 PM
    Its just an explaination as to why AT&T themselves won't unlock the phone just yet. Obviously he's better off going a different route.

It was also a little information to enlighten you.

You must work for Tmobile or something to pull that out when it was settled just 3 mos ago. Sort of waste of time explaining a company's policy to a user whom it does not affect. They're on Vodafone in Europe. They just want a quick solution to their prob on their new toy. As you said easier going a different route
    08-20-10 03:49 PM
    There are too many places to get the unlock code for under a dollar. Why pay more?

08-20-10 04:07 PM
    just buy the unlocking code.
    it will save you all the trouble
    08-20-10 04:14 PM
    just buy the unlocking code.
    it will save you all the trouble
    +1

08-20-10 04:29 PM
    So, uh.... exactly how does a non-AT&T consumer get their hands on a obviously locked AT&T Torch? If you pay their no commit price you should get an unlocked phone, No?
    08-20-10 04:37 PM
    I agree with WEBDAVE... I paid 99 cents on Ebay for an unlock code. It was well worth it, since AT&T told me that I would have to wait 30 days to receive an unlock code.
    08-20-10 05:50 PM
    So, uh.... exactly how does a non-AT&T consumer get their hands on a obviously locked AT&T Torch? If you pay their no commit price you should get an unlocked phone, No?
    nope .
    08-20-10 06:26 PM
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before but AT&T has a do not unlock list both bolds r on the list along with the torch.
    08-21-10 08:54 AM
    The bold 9700 can't be on the list, it's illegal because of their lawsuit settlement agreement. It has to be an exclusive phone for longer than 10 months. The 9700 is hardly exclusive to AT&T so I question this list.

08-21-10 08:57 AM
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before but AT&T has a do not unlock list both bolds r on the list along with the torch.
    If this is in fact true, I would suspect a lawsuit is coming. Especially after the lawsuit that was just settled.
    08-21-10 10:23 AM
    AT&T gave me the unlock codes for my Bold 9000 and my wife's as well after only a few months. We were going to Mexico and wanted to be able to use a local sim. We never did, but they are unlocked nonetheless.

Later,
    B.
    08-21-10 01:33 PM
    There are too many places to get the unlock code for under a dollar. Why pay more?

Ya i bought my Torch with no commit im with t-mobile. When i got the phone i went straight to ebay on my 9700 and purchased an unlock code for 99 cents. After i provided the info he needed like the IMEI i received my code in a email within an hour didn't tke long. So i woild ebay rout. I actually ordered two i got one for my 9700 as well

08-21-10 02:01 PM
    You just make this stuff up as you go along?
    08-21-10 02:29 PM
    I purchased a Torch and wanted to unlock my old phone which is a Bold 9000.
    My bold is going on two years old and I wanted to use it overseas as my job requires me to travel 70% of the time. I was told that ATT is currently involved in class action law suit concerning unlocking phones at this time, They then asked for me my IMEI code after entering the number they informed me my phone was not eligible to be unlocked and that they were sorry could they help me with anything else. So does anybody know of a reliable place to get my phone unlocked so it doesnt become a brick?
    09-03-10 09:02 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD