I just got off the phone with AT&T international desk and customer care desk concerning providing unlocked codes for phones. AT&T has changed it's policy and will not provide unlock codes until you have had the phone for one year (IPhone will not provide it at all). They say I signed agreement for 2 yrs so I have to have at least one year before they will provide the unlock code. In the past they have provided it to me. Even though I am with them for years when you buy a new phone you become like a new customer and so they will not give you this information.

I am currently in Hong Kong and I purchased the phone on the first day. I talked first with international desk and then with customer care. They said I have to be with them (using this phone) one year before they will provide that information. They said i signed agreement to exclusive to use the phone on their system. I told her yes i am paying for service while I am out of the country and am not denying them their income for the time I am away from USA.

My question is how is other AT&T customers getting AT&T to unlock their TORCH? I know I can purchase an unlock code online and probably will when i arrive back in the states. It really frustrates me that they change policy and do not inform anyone in advance. I have been traveling since 2005 and have had several phones including the Bold unlocked without having to wait a full year before requesting it.

I am fairly new with the forums and searched and did not find any other thread concerning this denial by AT&T
    09-09-10 10:56 PM
    Search for unlock codes and ebay. You'll find a ton of options.

HTH,
    Brian
    09-09-10 11:04 PM
    Go to our Unlocking Forum. There are many reasonably priced unlockers plus most have daily contests and promotions and give out many free codes so you might get lucky. I doubt you'll have to pay more than 10 to 20 dollars. Most give at least 50% off to CB members. . Tell them pkcable sent you!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-10 11:36 PM
    Glad I came back. Didn't even know there were unlocking forums! Thanks!
    B.

09-09-10 11:48 PM
    The ETF will help them recoup their losses on the hardware, but they'll make an extra grand if they can make sure people stay for a year...
    09-10-10 12:30 AM
    I am not wanting to leave, I am just wanting to be able to use the phone while in Hong Kong without having to pay their roaming fees. If I had know this new pollicy I would have brought my BB Bold phone with me. They provided the code for it before without any hassle. At this point, I will wait till I am back in the states and purchase an unlock code as suggested above
    09-10-10 08:12 AM
    I am not wanting to leave, I am just wanting to be able to use the phone while in Hong Kong without having to pay their roaming fees. If I had know this new pollicy I would have brought my BB Bold phone with me. They provided the code for it before without any hassle. At this point, I will wait till I am back in the states and purchase an unlock code as suggested above
    Sir, there's your answer.
    They won't make any profit if you just put a pre paid SIM in the Torch..
    another acceptable explanation involves our neighbors... oh no not Mexico but Canada where they'll be releasing the Torch this 15th..
    if AT&T is giving unlocking codes to every person who askes for it..
    then all our Canadian friends won't sign that 3 yr hold with Rogers, Telus etc etc.

you can buy the codes.. and have it emailed to you in less than 20 seconds..
    don't want until you are stateside for that..especially if you really need to use the phone
    09-10-10 08:22 AM
    And if you call back a few times you will get the proc and code from AT&T.

I just do mine here at CB using an approved vendor. $7USD and 10 minutes = unlocked device.

09-10-10 08:22 AM
    Go to eBay and search for "Torch unlocking codes". Many sellers doing it for 99 cents. Why pay a fistfull of dollars? Had my code in two minutes after payment. That's an entertainment value!
    09-10-10 08:56 AM
    I just got off the phone with AT&T international desk and customer care desk concerning providing unlocked codes for phones. AT&T has changed it's policy and will not provide unlock codes until you have had the phone for one year (IPhone will not provide it at all). They say I signed agreement for 2 yrs so I have to have at least one year before they will provide the unlock code. In the past they have provided it to me. Even though I am with them for years when you buy a new phone you become like a new customer and so they will not give you this information.

I am currently in Hong Kong and I purchased the phone on the first day. I talked first with international desk and then with customer care. They said I have to be with them (using this phone) one year before they will provide that information. They said i signed agreement to exclusive to use the phone on their system. I told her yes i am paying for service while I am out of the country and am not denying them their income for the time I am away from USA.

My question is how is other AT&T customers getting AT&T to unlock their TORCH? I know I can purchase an unlock code online and probably will when i arrive back in the states. It really frustrates me that they change policy and do not inform anyone in advance. I have been traveling since 2005 and have had several phones including the Bold unlocked without having to wait a full year before requesting it.

I am fairly new with the forums and searched and did not find any other thread concerning this denial by AT&T
    Well as part of any contract they have to change it with or without notice.
    09-12-10 01:55 PM
    that's lame with contracts here in australia, they should give you an unlocked code during your contract since you legally binded to them until you break the contract... since you know, people do actually go overseas with their phones! maybe you spoke to someone who didnt know what they were talking about. Its only prepaid phones that screw you up :P
    but hey america isn't australia so I hope you get your problem fixed, considering it's not something i would normally ask since it's how its always been for me.

Otherwise, like whats been said, the cost of unlocking the phone on these forums seem quite reasonable.
    09-12-10 03:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD