Hello all -

I might have a deal with some guy on craig's list to trade for his t-mobile 8100 ( my 8100 was dropped and doesn't work ....and it's out of warranty).
    Anyways, I'm sure the cell phone is locked.

If it is, if I put my AT&T sim in the tmobile phone, it won't work, correct?

So if that's the case, should I :

1. ask the guy to contact T-Mobile for a unlock code? That's of course if he would.
    2. does someone here have the code (greatly appreciated)
    3. save $ and get a AT&T phone again.
    4. save and get a service to do it (online).

Also, other than the T-Mobile branding, splash screen and all...would the phone essentially work the same?

Thanks in advance (from a out of work i.t guy...but i'm looking.)
    06-28-08 07:45 PM
    47 views and nothing? Heheh

06-29-08 09:43 PM
    look on ebay for one for AT&T
    06-29-08 09:57 PM
    If you cant get the guy on craigslist to call the provider to get the unlock code (all he has to do is tell them he is moving to somewhere they dont really cover) and they should give it to him. If not, find a nice unlocked one on ebay
    06-29-08 10:14 PM
    If you decide to get a new one from AT&T you can now get insurance for it too! That way warranty issues won't matter!
    06-30-08 10:28 AM
    UPDATE -

I emailed the guy w/ the T - Mobile 8100. He contacted them and they're going to send him the unlock code.
    Now, question...if I want to flash(if that's the correct vernacular) to the AT&T o/s...does the unlock still remain?

OR

Do I do the o/s change and then unlock?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    06-30-08 11:24 PM
    Once it is unlocked, it is unlocked for ever.
    When you unlock is not important.
    You can do it before or after.
    07-01-08 11:31 AM
    As an ex-TMo employee, I wouldn't suggest using another carrier's cell phone. Some programs will not work the same (T-Zones, WAP, etc - whatever AT&Tingular's programs are). They can send the software OTA but it's still a hassle. And of course, if it crashes you will have a hard time getting tech support once they hear it was carried over.

Just my 2 cents and good luck!
    07-01-08 09:56 PM
    I'm not using any of that stuff.
    Just reverting the cell to the AT&T o/s and throwing in a pre paid sim into it.
    07-02-08 12:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD