01-12-11 08:42 PM
34 12
tools
    I just called AT&T about unlocking my 9700 and was told that AT&T does not have the unlock codes for the BlackBerry Bold devices. Has anyone ever heard of this?
    01-11-11 06:49 AM
    That's BS, of course they do. All carriers have, or can get unlock codes for their devices

...and this is the 9780 forum
    01-11-11 08:04 AM
    Yeah, that's what I thought - I told her I knew someone else who had it done and all she said was "maybe they had it done by the manufacturer". She didn't have a problem with unlocking, she just said that the Bolds can't be unlocked.

...and yeah, I realized that after I posted this - I asked the mods to move the thread.
    01-11-11 08:09 AM
    Maybe they lost all the codes?
    01-11-11 08:40 AM
    Just another story of CS reps talking out of their ***. That really aggravates me. I can understand that as a rep, you may not know the answers to all of my questions. Understandable. However, it aggravates me when they jkust spit some crap out of their mouths instead of saying "Hold on, let me see if I can find that answer for you."

Like everyone else has said, that's crap. Keep calling until you get someone who at least knows the correct answer to that question.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-11 08:51 AM
    You will always get the run around when it comes to unlock codes from your carrier.
    01-11-11 09:56 AM
    OP, if you paid full price for the phone, AT&T would be required to get you the unlock code. If you didn't pay full price, I've always found it's easier to pay a buck for the unlock code from a third party. Pay a buck and avoid the headache in dealing with AT&T customer service.
    01-11-11 01:26 PM
    I think the unlock codes for the 9700 are .99 on certain auction website anyways.
    01-11-11 03:09 PM
    Just to throw something in the mix,bought a brand new 9700 locked to Vodafone UK,took it to a few "unlocking shops" and was told they couldn't do it.Turns out the newer 9700's need the mep from Rim themselves.Used a unlocking web site in the end who apperently contact Rim and get the code.Needless to say,1 hour later, I got an email with said code,popped it in and happy days.Something to do with newer security...

01-11-11 03:51 PM
    At&t is the worst when it comes to unlocking phones, they simply don't want to because they assume everyone that does it is going to T-Mobile, which they should, but I digress. The store reps aren't aloud to help you do this, but if you call CS with the necessary information handy they simply email the manufacturer for the code and have it sent to you with instructions... it's very simple!
    01-11-11 04:49 PM
    Just unlocked a TMobile 9700 today from cellunlock.net. It was 19.99 but well worth it IMO. Its easier than calling the carrier and waiting for a BS response.
    01-11-11 05:01 PM
    Just unlocked a TMobile 9700 today from cellunlock.net. It was 19.99 but well worth it IMO. Its easier than calling the carrier and waiting for a BS response.
    They actually have a 50% off code "crackb50"

01-11-11 06:41 PM
    AT&T is THE worst carrier. Their service is terrible and once the iPhone goes Verizon, I wouldn't be surprised if they slowly dissapear, as they should. Just like an above poster said, AT&T doesn't want to unlock your phone, its not that they can not. That's one of the many reasons I love T-Mo. I call, everyone is always super nice and they even have an "unlock" department. In one week or less you get your unlock code. And btw, no carrier has the codes. When you call, they get your IMEI and then they ask the code to the manufacturer. Forget paying for the unlock code, I would keep calling until I get a smart rep, even if with AT&T, good luck!

01-11-11 07:18 PM
    At&t is the worst when it comes to unlocking phones, they simply don't want to
    And this is based on...?! Nothing, I suppose.
    I've been with AT&T for many years and every new phone my family gets (4 lines...free upgrade, never paid a penny for a phone) I also get the unlock code from them without even sweating. Including my 9700.
    01-11-11 07:52 PM
    AT&T is THE worst carrier. Their service is terrible and once the iPhone goes Verizon, I wouldn't be surprised if they slowly dissapear
    You people never stop to amaze me. As if the world revolves around iPhone.

Just like an above poster said, AT&T doesn't want to unlock your phone, its not that they can not.
    Bullcrap. When was the last time you were an AT&T customer? When was the last time you called AT&T for an unlock code? See my response above...never had a trouble with an unlock code from AT&T. They have no problem providing the code at all. And every time I call AT&T for whatever reason, the service is superior.
    01-11-11 07:59 PM
    They actually have a 50% off code "crackb50"

Dammit wish I knew that before. Oh well, doesn't matter now. How can we get future notifications on discount codes with them? I will be using the in the future
    01-11-11 08:03 PM
    Our exclusive members pricing is $5.
    01-11-11 08:47 PM
    It's BS of course...I used to just say that I had business in Europe and I needed it unlocked for that reason...worked every time.
    01-11-11 09:04 PM
    sbi, with your posts you are proving to be a complete tool.

1) There are many of us here who have stated the same thing, and for you to come here and act all bully-like, well... BIG FAIL. Maybe its time to turn that brain on? Just a thought...

2) It comes from experience Mr.Arrogance, not to mention that it is known thing that both Sprint and AT&T have THE worse CS. Inform yourself. I was with Cingular for years btw before making the best decision and moved to T-Mobile in 04, and I only had bad experiences with Cingular, and I am not the only one to state so about Cingular and AT&T, and not to mention I have tons of friends who can't stop complaining about AT&T, and why do we need to explain anything to you out of all people? Pfff...

3) You people? Someone's hating their life, huh? Relax buddy... its a forum. When it comes to AT&T, it is all about the iToy. AT&T has poor service, their plans are ridiculous and a total rip-off.

4) Just because YOU supposedly had no issues with their CS, doesn't mean jack. Instead of coming here and defend AT&T like we sweared at your family, you can state the same things without the unnecessary attitude.
    01-11-11 09:10 PM
    I've been with AT&T for many years and every new phone my family gets (4 lines...free upgrade, never paid a penny for a phone) I also get the unlock code from them without even sweating. Including my 9700.
    My father is an At&t customer who wished to unlock his iPhone 3GS to use on my account at T-Mo under no contract just to see if the service was decent enough to make the switch and save some bucks. We went into the store and the reps there were either blithering morons, or acted stupid because they didn't want to do it. So I had him call At&t customer service and instead of doing anything they played 20 questions trying to figure out why and in the end said they couldn't do it. Perhaps you've experienced a few more competent reps than I have, but thus far At&t has proven to be terrible in customer service and very knowledgeless about all things technical, which is their industry, sadly.
    01-11-11 09:18 PM
    sbi, with your posts you are proving to be a complete tool.

1) There are many of us here who have stated the same thing, and for you to come here and act all bully-like, well... BIG FAIL. Maybe its time to turn that brain on? Just a thought...

2) It comes from experience Mr.Arrogance, not to mention that it is known thing that both Sprint and AT&T have THE worse CS. Inform yourself. I was with Cingular for years btw before making the best decision and moved to T-Mobile in 04, and I only had bad experiences with Cingular, and I am not the only one to state so about Cingular and AT&T, and not to mention I have tons of friends who can't stop complaining about AT&T, and why do we need to explain anything to you out of all people? Pfff...

3) You people? Someone's hating their life, huh? Relax buddy... its a forum. When it comes to AT&T, it is all about the iToy. AT&T has poor service, their plans are ridiculous and a total rip-off.

4) Just because YOU supposedly had no issues with their CS, doesn't mean jack. Instead of coming here and defend AT&T like we sweared at your family, you can state the same things without the unnecessary attitude.
    It actually is ridiculous to have this argument in the first place. I could find thousands of people that could say T-Mobile's customer service sucks. I could find thousands that say ATT CS sucks, as well as VZW and Sprint. The problem is that you have thousands of customer service reps that are told all sorts of different things and interpret rules and policies different. I have been with Cingular/ATT since it used to be Cellular One up north, probably about ten years. I've never had a single issue. Sometimes I do get a cs rep who's not working with me, so I call and get another one.

The issue here, and I don't really feel like going back and looking at who it is, is the comment about ATT never giving out unlock codes. ATT is a business, they want to make money. Unlocking phones means they lose money. All carriers are stingy with unlock codes for this reason.

So, let's cut the bickering and the "my carrier is better than your carrier" crap. We're all with a carrier because we're satisfied, for the most part.

01-11-11 09:22 PM
    It actually is ridiculous to have this argument in the first place. I could find thousands of people that could say T-Mobile's customer service sucks. I could find thousands that say ATT CS sucks, as well as VZW and Sprint. The problem is that you have thousands of customer service reps that are told all sorts of different things and interpret rules and policies different. I have been with Cingular/ATT since it used to be Cellular One up north, probably about ten years. I've never had a single issue. Sometimes I do get a cs rep who's not working with me, so I call and get another one.

The issue here, and I don't really feel like going back and looking at who it is, is the comment about ATT never giving out unlock codes. ATT is a business, they want to make money. Unlocking phones means they lose money. All carriers are stingy with unlock codes for this reason.

So, let's cut the bickering and the "my carrier is better than your carrier" crap. We're all with a carrier because we're satisfied, for the most part.

Can't discredit the truth here, and while you may be right, that doesn't mean that varying point of view are wrong. For one to ignore personal experience and accept it as a standard is to be truly unintelligent in every way, spitting in the face of evidentiary fact.
    01-11-11 09:26 PM
    Can't discredit the truth here, and while you may be right, that doesn't mean that varying point of view are wrong. For one to ignore personal experience and accept it as a standard is to be truly unintelligent in every way, spitting in the face of evidentiary fact.
    I don't know if you read what I wrote, but that's specifically what I'm saying. We're all with our carriers because we've had good experiences. To say that one is better than the other based on someone else's views is a waste of time.

01-11-11 10:12 PM
    I don't know if you read what I wrote, but that's specifically what I'm saying. We're all with our carriers because we've had good experiences. To say that one is better than the other based on someone else's views is a waste of time.

Oh I read it, it seems you missed the point of my retort, but I really don't care to repeat or clarify so sure... whatever you say champ!
    01-11-11 11:15 PM
    ^^This. I've never had a seconds trouble getting ATT to provide an unlock code, including the 9700 that I'm currently using. In fact, when I called to get the one for this 9700 I went ahead and got the one for my older 8900 at the same time. They gave me both without issue. I guess it's all in how you ask
    01-12-11 12:09 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD