I've been with AT&T for many years and I've called them up and mentioned I'm in the military and I travel overseas a lot and got the SIM unlock code for my 8310 and 8900 before without any hassles at all, they gave it to me right then over the phone. I tried to get it for my 9700 and they said it'd take a week and they would email me when it's ready. Ok, whatever. I got a call from AT&T saying I needed to provide to them a receipt showing I paid FULL retail for it, not the discounted price. WTF? Maybe it's because the 9700 is their flagship phone? It's not like I'm selling the unlocked phones, I keep adding lines to my family plan as I hand them down to my wife and kids. Maybe I'll just keep calling back talking to different people.
    02-17-10 03:26 PM
    Call back and get a different person. I've gotten unlock codes from them with no
    hassle at all.
    02-17-10 03:31 PM
    i recall when i had my 9700 unlocked the CS did ask me about the purchase price of the phone and if it had att in lower case or upper at the bottom of the phone, but in the ende she gave me the unlock code and emailed me the instructions for it. she did say that there were new rules about it, but like forever29 says, try calling again and getting a different rep.
    02-17-10 04:08 PM
    Worst case scenario just pick one up on ebay. Many of the sellers provide the unlock code within minutes of you providing your information. I'd gladly donate the $5 for a military man. DM me if interested.
    02-17-10 04:11 PM
    Yea I got the same thing with my iPhone. It actually pissed me off quite a bit. I called back 3 times until I found one guy who cut some corners for me. I'm also in te military and go to Germany 1's every two months so them being difficult really didn't help the situation.
    02-17-10 04:17 PM
    i called in a month ago and they gave me the code immediately. NO questions about price or anything, they simply asked for the IMEI. i suggest if they hassle you just hang up and try again.
    02-17-10 04:19 PM
    They did the same exact thing with me asking me for the original sales receipt, they never emailed me the unlock code, which kinda pissed me off. I just went thru a website online and they gave me the unlock code quickly... I was talking to my ATT rep and she said that its against the law, for any carrier to not give you the unlock code, because you own the phone and you should be able to take it to any cell company you want, they cant keep from giving you the unlock code..
    02-17-10 04:24 PM
    Do what forever said and call back, I've done this many times with no issues.
    02-17-10 04:32 PM
    stupid quesiton. once the unlock code has been obtained. what do you do with it?
    02-17-10 04:35 PM
    That's strange...the rep I had made sure that I did not pay full retail for the phone in order to give me my code. They indicated to me that to qualify for the code that you must have used an upgrade and purchased the phone at a reduced price. My code took four days to receive and they actually gave me an incorrect code. Got the right code on the second attempt.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-10 04:43 PM
    stupid quesiton. once the unlock code has been obtained. what do you do with it?
    You unlock it, of course, per instructions provided by the carrier or in the various forums for your particular phone. It adds the ability for you to use another carriers SIM card on their network, like when you are overseas and do not want to pay international rates, etc.

There are many advantages to having your ohone unlocked. If not traveling, it also increases the resale value of your phone, should you decide to part with it.
    02-17-10 04:44 PM
    There are plenty of outside resources...I just paid ten dollars to get the code for my Bold 9700. I think that ten dollars is worth spending rather than dealing with cell co. people.

Unlock Blackberry & Any Cell Phones Remotely by Code | CellUnlock.net

use coupon code "crackb50"
    Last edited by jshuford; 02-17-10 at 05:09 PM.
    02-17-10 04:46 PM
    There are plenty of outside resources...I just paid ten dollars to get the code for my Bold 9700. I think that ten dollars is worth spending rather than dealing with cell co. people.

Unlock Blackberry & Any Cell Phones Remotely by Code | CellUnlock.net

use coupon code "crackb50"
    Ten bucks? Holy cow! I got mine from an eBay seller for $1.80! And had it with a quickness! Now he/she has them for $1.75 or best offer:

Unlock code for at&t Blackberry 9000 9700 8900 8520 - eBay (item 160404676888 end time Feb-21-10 15:26:01 PST)
    02-17-10 07:42 PM
    The process has officially changed and 611 has limited access to those codes. They are supposed to cut a ticket to the group that handles that and they email out the code. That is what happened last time I called for one. It was only a few days so no biggie for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-10 08:30 PM
    Don't waste your time calling back and forth. For a few dollars you can get the unlock code in minutes. No hassle. I know there's reputable seller on eBay who's selling unlock codes for cheap.
    02-17-10 08:41 PM
    I have my AT&T Bold 9000 but I canceled my account with AT&T but now I need the unlock code. Is that possible? If I call AT&T with my old account info will they give me the unlock code.
    02-19-10 10:40 PM
    They won't.

AT&T however, compared to T-Mobile is more reluctant to give out the unlock codes.
    02-19-10 10:50 PM
    At least At&T and T-mobile will give you an unlock code. Rogers will not under any circumstance. Luckily I won a free unlock code here on Crackberry from cellunlocknet.
    02-19-10 11:01 PM
    I got my codes on ebay for less than 2 bucks. Why aggravate yourself with ATT/TMO morons?
    02-19-10 11:05 PM
    this is why i never get any phone unlocked from them when traveling.
    02-19-10 11:10 PM
    i just got the code from ebay for $1.70. It works flawlessly.
    02-20-10 02:33 AM
    I called ATT back in January to get the unlock. I paid full retail for the phone, so the rep just asked me for my IMEI and told me to wait until he can give me the code, right away. When he came back, he told me he couldn't hand me the unlock code because I was a new customer. I think as the phone being brand new, they might just want to protect themselves from people signing in for two years, almost free phone, and then paying the 175$ fee to cancel the contract, makes sens? So I just went at CellUnlock.net, took the 50% coupon for the unlock code and got it 3 hours later for 7.49$ without the hassle of calling ATT again to try another time.

BTW, as I paid full retail, they shouldn't be bothering with unlock codes... I was a client for a month while on vacation, and I'll still be a client when I come back in the US in May for another two weeks as I switch sim while travelling.
    02-20-10 06:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD