Hello all,

I just have a little question about unlocking my Bold to travel overseas to the Philippines and Japan: can I really get my unlock code for free?

Now before people point out the obvious search, I have done that and read the thread about free unlocks in Tips & How To's but recently I went to a local AT&T store and asked a sales rep about it and he just laughed about the free factor. So I went to 611 and talked to customer support (did this twice) and was told that it was not possible for them to do so. I was informed that I may talk to an independent unlock company to do so at a -price-.

So at the moment I feel a little upset at how I was shut down and unsure of the reliablilty of some questionable unlocking company sites. If anyone could help me I'd be very grateful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 08:45 AM
    Hello all,

I just have a little question about unlocking my Bold to travel overseas to the Philippines and Japan: can I really get my unlock code for free?

Now before people point out the obvious search, I have done that and read the thread about free unlocks in Tips & How To's but recently I went to a local AT&T store and asked a sales rep about it and he just laughed about the free factor. So I went to 611 and talked to customer support (did this twice) and was told that it was not possible for them to do so. I was informed that I may talk to an independent unlock company to do so at a -price-.

So at the moment I feel a little upset at how I was shut down and unsure of the reliablilty of some questionable unlocking company sites. If anyone could help me I'd be very grateful.

Call the International Dept. @ 877-707-9208 and explain to them that you are traveling to the Philippines and Japan and are going to use a local sim card while there and they will give you the unlock code. It may take a day or two but you'll get it for FREE. good luck
    06-02-09 09:27 AM
    Do it the easy way. Type in bold unlock code in ebay. I got mine for like $3.88 and it worked great. No hassle with att, and only cost a few $!

06-02-09 10:32 AM
    Do it the easy way. Type in bold unlock code in ebay. I got mine for like $3.88 and it worked great. No hassle with att, and only cost a few $!

that's another route but i don't think he wants to spend any $$$
    06-02-09 10:51 AM
    Yeah I am sorry but if there was mention of a possible free unlocking method I'd prefer not to pay. Simply because while I love my Bold, AT&T already charges too much for service so I think I'd like to keep a few $$ in my wallet.

I mean if AT&T won't provide me with the code even after I try the international customer # then as a last resort I will pay for an unlock but not before I've tried that number.

06-02-09 04:00 PM
    ok this might be a dumb question, but if you are not selling or going out of country like this person, what is the reason or benefit of unlocking your phone?
    06-02-09 04:05 PM
    so you can use it with any carrier...

to the OP, just call the international dept of att. no matter what anyone says, they will send you the unlock code for free...
    06-02-09 07:09 PM
    so you can use it with any carrier...

to the OP, just call the international dept of att. no matter what anyone says, they will send you the unlock code for free...
    And on top of this, it's usually instant. I've gotten an unlock code in about 4 minutes before. That includes hold time and the main menu thing time. Awesome rep I had..
    06-02-09 07:13 PM
    I'm on the phone on right now as I type this with a great rep who just gave me my code in less then one minute and is giving me the detailed instructions on how to perform the unlock. All for FREE!
    06-03-09 08:19 PM
    Yeah I am sorry but if there was mention of a possible free unlocking method I'd prefer not to pay. Simply because while I love my Bold, AT&T already charges too much for service so I think I'd like to keep a few $$ in my wallet.

I mean if AT&T won't provide me with the code even after I try the international customer # then as a last resort I will pay for an unlock but not before I've tried that number.

Just a heads up. The policy for getting the unlock code to your phone is you have to have had the phone for at least three months. That's what customer care has told me in the past. Things may have changed since then though.
    06-04-09 01:21 AM
    yes, they should give you the code for free as long as you have had the account for longer than 3 months or so. just keep calling back until someone gives it to you along with the instructions.
    06-04-09 03:57 AM
    Just a heads up. The policy for getting the unlock code to your phone is you have to have had the phone for at least three months. That's what customer care has told me in the past. Things may have changed since then though.
    damn, ive only had my phone a week and they gave me the unlock code. the rep didnt tell me how to do it, but a quick google search fixed that.
    06-04-09 05:22 AM
    couldnt hurt to just keep trying. you will get a different rep everytime. if one doesnt cough it up, say thanks and hang up. then try again.
    06-04-09 05:24 AM
    yes, they should give you the code for free as long as you have had the account for longer than 3 months or so. just keep calling back until someone gives it to you along with the instructions.

One of you is saying "have the phone for three months" and one is saying "have the account for three months" ... just wondering which is correct?
    06-04-09 09:00 AM
    Hmm alright, I mean I appreciate all the great responses from everyone but uhh... I got my BlackBerry and line installed on 5/5/09. Does this pose any sort of problem?

Oh and well I have tried the international #, thanks for the advice to keep checking cause the first two reps just told me they couldn't give me the code.

06-04-09 12:01 PM
    It doesn't have anything to do with how long you've had the device, it's how long you've had an account with the carrier in good standing. Some are six months, AT&T may be three like another poster said. If no reps are giving it up, that's probably why. Unless you want to wait, you may have to pay the $$$ to do it. Or, just keep trying. Maybe you'll get a rep who either is unaware of the policy or just doesn't care. Good luck!
    06-06-09 02:36 PM
    Every year before I upgrade to a new phone I call the international number posted here and get the unlock code for my phone.

Your account MUST be in good standing, and you must be willing to listen to their speech about how AT&T offers international rates etc.

Only once have I ever had a problem getting an unlock code, I told the rep I would like to speak with a manager and the situation changed quickly.

Be friendly but firm, you shouldn't have any problems.

- Zach
    zachx (zachx) on Twitter
    06-09-09 08:09 AM
    i called customer care, got the speel about roaming packages, but requested unlock code for my bold. rep said she doens't have the code for the bold and that i need to put in for a case request. she gets all my info and says that i will be receiving an email within the next few days. well here's the email:

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY AS THIS IS NOT A MONITORED MAILBOX

Your subsidy unlock code request was received and is in review, pending approval. If the request is approved the case will be updated accordingly. However in order to expedite your request the following information must be received:

Before unlock Code can be released, we require a copy of Full Retail Price * Proof of Purchase ". Please fax copy to FAX #: 714-695-4897.

Please include the following on your fax:

1. Subsidy Unlock Request

2. Your name:

3. Account number:

4. CTN/Cellular number:

5. Contact information (number and email address):

6. Case number: CM20090608_6314588

7. Fax must include a valid 15 digit IMEI #: 351845032438056

8. Proof of Purchase must be received within 48 hrs. or the request will be discarded and a new request must be submitted by contacting customer service at 1-800-331-0500.

Note: To verify the IMEI, dial *#06# on devices keypad, 15 digit # IMEI will display on the screen. If this sequence does not work, pull the back/battery off the phone and the IMEI will be listed on the back of the phone.

TIER2/WEST REGION SUBSIDY TEAM

*Full Retail Price: No Discount given on equipment at time of purchase/Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price*

****AT&T RESERVES THE RIGHTS TO DECLINE THE RELEASE OF UNLOCK CODES FOR ILLEGITIMATE REQUESTS****

so...should i follow through, seems like a hassle as i dont have a fax machine at home.
    OR
    should i jsut call again and try with another att rep?
    06-10-09 10:33 PM
    I was mistaken. You have to have an account for at least three months before getting the unlock code for your phone.
    06-11-09 06:37 PM
    as always. great help on this forum. but nm. i just bought sn unlock code for less 4 bucks. from a particular seller on ebay. super fast, super legit. working great. peace out.
    06-11-09 08:08 PM
    Just to let ya all, know there is an APP on the net you just have to search for it, not gonna mention the name(dont know if its allowed to name apps like that on here) but it will be obvious, just google it, basically debrand your phone with that app, and it unlocks it also, thats what i did with mine and it worked fine.
    by the way that app is available through torrents and what not......lol
    06-11-09 09:04 PM
    I had my phone in April, waited about 3 weeks, and got my phone unlocked for $8, using CellUnlock.net Wireless-Your #1 Source for Accessories, Parts, Repairs, Service & Unlocking!

Why bother doing all this? Cell Unlock sent my unlock code in less than 4 hours.
    06-11-09 10:52 PM
    I got AT&T to give me mine in about 15 minutes. They said I might have to send a bunch of info, but she came back and gave it to me on the phone. Very nice and polite too.

06-22-09 02:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD