My roommate lost her Storm 9530 a few months ago and paid her verizon store the 50 dollar deductible in order to get a new one through the insurance.
    Well about a week ago she found the phone and already having a new one she had no use for it.

Now I am using a blackberry Curve 8350 (which is basically destroyed -- t button doesn't work, the trackpoint roller is messed up, etc.) with an AT&T Service and am going to Sweden in December

I believe that you can unlock the phones and use a local SIM card with them so I would have a local number with my phone in Sweden.

I have learned that in order to get the unlock code you have to call Verizon and tell them you will be going out of the country and they give you one....

Now my question is -- because she reported the phone as Lost/Stolen to get the insurance to pay for a new one... Can i take her in to the Verizon store with me and she can get the unlock code for her old phone or are they going to say something about how she got a new code or how would that work? I don't want to pay for a code via a website that says they have the unlock codes (seems a little sketchy to me....)

Please let me know what I can do to unlock this phone and use my AT&T SIM card in it with my current situation.

p.s. do they even care that she reported it lost or stolen and maybe just give the unlock code.... seems like such a waste of a basically new phone

Thank you in advance
    08-26-09 05:17 AM
    Thats a good question. I honestly don't know.
    08-26-09 05:42 AM
    I know that if you are with Verizon for at least 60 days and your account is not past due you can have an unlock code for free without any problem. For the lost/found BB I dont know what to say except that you have nothing to lose to ask.
    08-26-09 06:16 AM
    Verizon will not unlock the lost/stolen one. You can go through a 3rd party unlock and pay them for the code.

It should then work for you on ATT once properly configured.

Check the site out for details and pricing. HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, The World’s Cellular Repair Center
    08-26-09 06:21 AM
    Since the phone has reported lost, Verizon might block the phone already, so you can't use at all even you unlock it. If you want to get a code for free, try our free unlock code contest from crackberry.com, it will end at midnight Sunday 8/30
    08-30-09 01:07 AM
    worst come to worst, u may used the unlocked code offered by 3rd party (online, for eg via eby).
    08-30-09 02:56 AM