11-07-10 12:09 PM
272 ... 56789 ...
tools
    i dont believe BIS will work as you are now technically on a different carrier/plan with the sim card which doesnt include your additional BIS plan. no prepaid sims are going to have BIS as far as i know.

@aledc78 the only thing i did differently was set it to 2G & 3G. have you done a battery pull after unlocking?
    07-29-09 09:27 AM
    I went and got a Digicel Sim card.. It works I am able to make calls as well as send text messages... I am unable to use the internet right now because when I try to register my phone it says... Unable to activate because phone is incompatiable. If you have a Blackberry call CS.. Well I tried calling them and they had me one hold for 1 hr any other time that would not have been a problem to hold on but... I forgot my charger at home

So now I am in Trinidad with an unlocked phone and a dead battery!! I will be going out today to find one that works with the Tour.. I bought one yesterday... It's shows that its charging.. But it never did, after 4 hrs it is still dead!!

So for now all I can verify is that the phone is unlocked and that I can make and receive calls as well as Text. Hopefully I'll be able to confirm BIS later on this evening.

Great news! Thank you so much for posting back.

I've been reading up on other people having problems and one person said that there are new sims out there that have storage capacities of 128 kb! And those of us with older ones, meaning the 32k and the 64k simcards, don't really work. For some reason our Sprint Tours want and only work with newer 128 kb simcards. I'm going to try my cousin who only recently bought the iphone 3gs and received a new simcard which replaced his old ATT simcard. If this makes a difference, then I'll believe it is true. I am also planning as a back up to head down to a tmobile store and buy a prepaid simcard off the shelf and to see if it works as well.

I'm just trying to figure out if my tour is indeed unlocked before i head out of the country given the fact that after typing in MEPD, mine says Network Active.

Thank you once again, and I hope you find a charger. Maybe a USB cable with a microUSB plug will work. Once the battery is quite dead, it does take some time for the charge to build up, but I would say 4 hrs is excessive. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Have a great time otherwise!

GC
    07-29-09 01:56 PM
    Ok another update.... I called Digicel back today the CS told me my phone wasn't unlcked which we know isn't true because I am able to call and text from it. I called sprint to confirn and was told it is unlocked and maybe the sim just isn't working for me to get BIS.

Long story short I had sprint activate unlimited international internet on my phone which cost $40 a month. You can cut it off when you return to the states and they pro rate you for what you use. Its like $1.33 a day... Not bad.

If I want to make a call I'll just put the Digicel sim back in.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 08:15 PM
    Just called sprint and told them I wanted my phone unlocked to be able to change sim cards, the lady me asked if I knew how to do it. I read off the steps that were on the original post of this thread and she told me I knew what I was doing and hold while she gets the code. A couple minutes later she returned and gave me the code! Very easy.

By the way - The code should be a 16 digit code, if you get anything else: be hesistant if it is the real code.
    07-30-09 08:12 AM
    Well i have been reading this thread for the last 2 days. I think I may have missed it, or not seen it, but when i'm going thru the process of unlocking. Which SIM card needs to be in my Tour. The sprint one thats currently active, or another one from say ATT or other carrier? I just wanna be clear before i proceed. Thanks rob
    07-30-09 11:04 AM
    Well i have been reading this thread for the last 2 days. I think I may have missed it, or not seen it, but when i'm going thru the process of unlocking. Which SIM card needs to be in my Tour. The sprint one thats currently active, or another one from say ATT or other carrier? I just wanna be clear before i proceed. Thanks rob
    Any SIM card...
    07-30-09 11:40 AM
    whats the purpose of unlocking your tour anyways ?
    07-30-09 11:47 AM
    to use the SIM card on different networks, national and international
    07-30-09 12:29 PM
    Yes once unlocked you can use on any gsm network not just Sprint. Makes your phone worth more if you sell.
    07-30-09 12:32 PM
    Got it DONE| had to call twice, first time i screwed up on menu and got transfered to BB tech support. They had NO clue what i was talking abt.

Second time talk to "Emilie" and she walked me thru it painlessly.

Friend gave me his extra ATT SIM, i activated it, and all is good! Thanks to all for this good infomation. I no longer need to carry two phones.
    07-30-09 03:27 PM
    do you guys turn your phone off when switching SIMS? or just do it while its on?
    07-30-09 03:31 PM
    I do, not sure if i HAVE to. I turn off then switch SIM's. then power on. No battery pull. Once on, i goto ntwk opts on have it locate a GSM signal.
    07-30-09 03:33 PM
    No need to payout cash when it was yours for free.

Just call up Sprint International Desk at 817-698-4199 Option 3 and request your unlock code. All they'll do is verify that you are a Sprint Account Holder with a registered Tour and you will get your unlock code at no charge.

(And no, this does not void any type of warranty.)

"How to enter Unlock Code"

1) OPTIONS / ADVANCED OPTIONS / SIM CARD
    2) type MEPD then MEP2 (no caps lock, just made it big so you know what to type.)
    3) enter your unlock code
    4) battery pull and that's all.
    After i read this it seems too easy to be true... still fingers crossed
    07-30-09 04:28 PM
    Got mine unlocked today. It took about 10 minutes over the phone to get everything running. I tried it already with an att sim card and voila it worked like a charm! this is pretty hot! makes the phone even more valuable than what it is
    07-30-09 07:47 PM
    After i read this it seems too easy to be true... still fingers crossed
    I have a T-Mobile Sim in my phone right now. My phone is unlocked.
    07-31-09 09:27 AM
    I'm stuck. I have the unlock code. I have the sprint sim enabled also. When I type mepd the simscreen show status page when I type mepd2 right after the screen blips/flashes but remains the same where do I put the code? If I just type the code nothing seems to happen. If I press the menu there is option to change PIN2 code and shows 3 tries left. Is that what I'm looking for? The instructions say nothing about menu/pin2

07-31-09 09:59 AM
    Hello Everyone,

THis is my first blackberry and i love it. thanks to everyone here for helping me learn about it.

i called to unlock my phone and got the unlock code, everything worked fine and i was able to try it on an at&t sim card and it worked fine. I just tried it on a t-Mobile sim card and i could not make any calls.

Did i do something wrong?

btw its te sprint tour
    07-31-09 10:31 AM
    I have a T-Mobile Sim in my phone right now. My phone is unlocked.
    Ya i know my bad i didn't read the other posts before i wrote that, i feel stuid
    07-31-09 11:19 AM
    I'm stuck. I have the unlock code. I have the sprint sim enabled also. When I type mepd the simscreen show status page when I type mepd2 right after the screen blips/flashes but remains the same where do I put the code? If I just type the code nothing seems to happen. If I press the menu there is option to change PIN2 code and shows 3 tries left. Is that what I'm looking for? The instructions say nothing about menu/pin2

I think once you type in mepd, you need to type in mep2. Not mepd2. This will bring up a screen to type in the 10 digit unlock code. I hope this helps.

GC
    07-31-09 11:43 AM
    I'm guessing the newest batch of Tours are already unlocked, but is there a way to check without inserting a 3rd party SIM?
    07-31-09 11:45 AM
    when you do the MEPD, it should say inactive under "Network"...

Options -> Advanced Options -> SIM -> type "mepd"

Then look as make sure it says inactive... if it does, it is unlocked.
    07-31-09 11:56 AM
    I think once you type in mepd, you need to type in mep2. Not mepd2. This will bring up a screen to type in the 10 digit unlock code. I hope this helps.

GC
    doh! Dang I need to pay more attention! Thankyou, Now I'm unlocked.
    07-31-09 12:07 PM
    update: i was FINALLY able to get it online.

if anyone is overseas like i am, go to

Traveling Internationally

and chat with a rep.

regulare reps are useless. speak to an international dept rep if you want this done.
    Good tip! I went to that link, did an online chat, and it was super easy.
    07-31-09 04:53 PM
    Update!!!

I finally had a chance to go back to the sprint store to try to exchange my bb tour. If you recall, my sim card menu displayed, after typing in MEPD, said my Network was Active. This was my 2nd Tour from a Sprint Store.

The new phone I received says Network Disabled! Yippee. My phone is finally unlocked straight from the store. I tried my UK Tmobile card in it and it was immediately recognized with EDGE displayed for data. I was not able to make a call like many others because I believe my simcard is an older type (square shaped chip) vs the newer 128 KB rectangle chip sim cards. I have yet to try out my cousin's iphone 3gs rectangular att simcard, again. I will assume i will be able to make a call and get data.

So F U to that dumbass "technical advisor" from the San Mateo Sprint store located near the Men's Warehouse near HWY 92. I was right you Beeeotch...and you were too stupid to know to being with! Thanks to the cool guys up in San Fran's Sprint Store off Geary Blvd for hooking me up.

Don't believe all the BS sprint reps say. They've told me that the Tour won't work on Domestic (USA) GSM Networks. They do work on domestic GSM Networks!

My new Tour is much more solid than the poorly manufactured 2nd one. My new track ball is much more solid and I still am using my original battery door!

I hope this helps everyone out there!

GC
    07-31-09 11:54 PM
    New Sprint tours are unlocked, my new replacement(4th) is unlocked, woohoo!!!!
    08-02-09 04:56 PM
272 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD