11-07-10 12:09 PM
272 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I need help.

I'm on my second tour and I want to believe it is unlocked, however I am having trouble confirming this.

I've read other posts that people have put their att or tmobile sim card into the phone and it recognizes it. However when I put in a friend's att sim card from his bb pearl, it says insert sim card. When I go to options->adv options ->simcard and type in MEPD, it says the following:

SIM Disabled
    Network Active
    Network Subset Disabled
    Service Provider Disabled
    Corporate Disabled

I remember another person posted their information above after he had to unlock his with an unlock code (first batch from sprint came locked) and the only difference is his says Network Inactive.

I've set my network to GSM 2G and rebooted the phone. Before putting the battery in to reboot the phone, I put in the att sim card and then rebooted the phone. Then it says insert sim.

The reps on the phone say that this Tour cannot be used on the domestic (USA) gsm network and will only work in a foreign country's GSM network. On the outside of the box, there is wording that suggests this is true, but after reading some of the posts here on cb, i am to think otherwise.

One theory comes to mind: the first batch of Tours that came out of the box in a locked state needed an unlock code to therefore unlock them. I'm wondering if that unlock code from RIM to Sprint changes the setting of the phone to be fully unlocked whereas the 2nd batch of Tours now being shipped and sold are unlocked but only partially unlocked where those Tour phones can only access the GSM network of a foreign country rather than the GSM network domestically.

If you can, please post pics or post back what your screen looks like after typing in MEPD under the simcard menu. I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advanced for any and all help.

GC
    07-26-09 10:11 AM
    No need to payout cash when it was yours for free.

Just call up Sprint International Desk at 817-698-4199 Option 3 and request your unlock code. All they'll do is verify that you are a Sprint Account Holder with a registered Tour and you will get your unlock code at no charge.

(And no, this does not void any type of warranty.)

"How to enter Unlock Code"

1) OPTIONS / ADVANCED OPTIONS / SIM CARD
    2) type MEPD then MEP2 (no caps lock, just made it big so you know what to type.)
    3) enter your unlock code
    4) battery pull and that's all.
    Kinda true, but not really, you don't need the devices to be activated on your account. I just called Sprint to give me 2 Tour unlock codes and the helpful little girl gave me them right away. 3 unlock code in 2 days.
    07-26-09 10:18 AM
    There are actually 2 unlock modes for Sprint. The first one is calling the International Desk and having them unlock it for International Roaming. The second unlock, which is the one you need the code for, will allow you to use a foreign SIM in it overseas, as well as in the states. I don't think the average user will know to ask for the later unlock as they don't advertise it. Sprint wants you to use their roaming partners while overseas instead of a local SIM.
    you hit the nail right on he head with this one!
    07-26-09 11:05 AM
    There are actually 2 unlock modes for Sprint. The first one is calling the International Desk and having them unlock it for International Roaming. The second unlock, which is the one you need the code for, will allow you to use a foreign SIM in it overseas, as well as in the states. I don't think the average user will know to ask for the later unlock as they don't advertise it. Sprint wants you to use their roaming partners while overseas instead of a local SIM.
    So do you get the second lock code from the International Desk?? Or do you have to call CS for that?? I am going to be leaving to Trinidad in the morning and would love to have my Tour unlocked for my trip..
    07-26-09 11:21 AM
    man you guys are lucky. i have a sprint tour also but when i asked for an unlock code when i was in the Us, i was told it was already unlocked.

now i'm in a different country with a locked phone. i'm trying to get it online, but wow sprint customer service really sucks. different answers from all different agents. SO USELESS!

i'm trying right now to get a code through the online chat.... otherwise i'll have to waste God know how much to call the US customer service line....
    07-26-09 11:24 AM
    update: i was FINALLY able to get it online.

if anyone is overseas like i am, go to

Traveling Internationally

and chat with a rep.

regulare reps are useless. speak to an international dept rep if you want this done.
    07-26-09 11:48 AM
    Did you buy your phone when they first became available for sale? In other words did you buy yours roughly in the first batch?

They keep telling me my phone is unlocked, but I have a feeling it is not...jsut as you found out.

Thanks,

GC
    07-26-09 12:35 PM
    Thanks for the help. I called sprint before I got the number for international, and they didn't have a clue. Called the number you posted, and they had it unlocked for free in 10 minutes or less. Uber kewl. Thanks again.

To you others: don't pay, it's free.
    07-26-09 03:25 PM
    Just called a minute ago. Got it done within 5 mins. I Love It!!! Thanks a lot for the info.
    07-26-09 03:32 PM
    Just called and they unlocked it with no hassle, very nice. Thanks
    07-26-09 03:57 PM
    you hit the nail right on he head with this one!
    So how do I get the other code? Is that why mine says network inactive instead of disabled?
    07-26-09 04:08 PM
    Just chatted with a rep, and got instructions and code with no hassle. Thanks!
    07-26-09 04:11 PM
    I called and got mine unlocked it took 2 times to go thru it but it is now unlocked
    Now my question is... Should I have the letters SOS in red by the signal bar?
    Looks like I'll have a Digicel Sim card in my phone when I reach Trinidad tomorrow
    Last edited by Sonshyne; 07-26-09 at 04:36 PM.
    07-26-09 04:33 PM
    I called and got mine unlocked it took 2 times to go thru it but it is now unlocked
    Now my question is... Should I have the letters SOS in red by the signal bar?
    Looks like I'll have a Digicel Sim card in my phone when I reach Trinidad tomorrow
    Do me a favor and check under the simcard menu. When you type in MEPD as if you were going to unlock your phone, what does it say under the Network heading? Active or Inactive?

Keep us posted when you get to Trinidad. Sprint says it will work once you get into the foreign country. I am curious if they are full of crap or they are speaking the truth.

Thanks,

GC
    07-26-09 08:37 PM
    No need to payout cash when it was yours for free.

Just call up Sprint International Desk at 817-698-4199 Option 3 and request your unlock code. All they'll do is verify that you are a Sprint Account Holder with a registered Tour and you will get your unlock code at no charge.

(And no, this does not void any type of warranty.)

"How to enter Unlock Code"

1) OPTIONS / ADVANCED OPTIONS / SIM CARD
    2) type MEPD then MEP2 (no caps lock, just made it big so you know what to type.)
    3) enter your unlock code
    4) battery pull and that's all.
    So what advantages do you get with an unlocked Tour?

And I've got a Sprint curve, how would I know it's locked?
    07-26-09 09:45 PM
    If you cant get Sprint to unlock your tour we have the best service on CB
    DM or Pin me.
    07-26-09 09:56 PM
    got mine unlocked with no problems at all, Did the MEPD, MEP2 and unlock code and it works fine
    07-26-09 09:58 PM
    So what advantages do you get with an unlocked Tour?

And I've got a Sprint curve, how would I know it's locked?
    The Curve is not a world phone, so this discussion does not apply to your phone.
    07-26-09 10:47 PM
    Do me a favor and check under the simcard menu. When you type in MEPD as if you were going to unlock your phone, what does it say under the Network heading? Active or Inactive?

Keep us posted when you get to Trinidad. Sprint says it will work once you get into the foreign country. I am curious if they are full of crap or they are speaking the truth.

Thanks,

GC
    It says Network inactive...

I hope it works, I am waiting for my daugther to come home so I can use her T-mobile sim card to check it.. When I set it to GSM/UMTS and 3G & 2G it scans for networks and brings up AT&T and T-Mobile... So I am assuming it's unlocked and ready to go..

I will try to come on CB and let you know if it's working on Tuesday
    07-26-09 10:49 PM

I hope it works, I am waiting for my daugther to come home so I can use her T-mobile sim card to check it.. When I set it to GSM/UMTS and 3G & 2G it scans for networks and brings up AT&T and T-Mobile... So I am assuming it's unlocked and ready to go..

Thanks so much. If you manage to get the tmobile sim card to work here in the US, i will draw the conclusion that sprint is full of crap and my phone is still locked. Mine says Network: active. All the unlocked phones that I've read including yours says Inactive!

Thank you so much.

GC
    07-26-09 10:51 PM
    Wow 9 pages and no one has posted on how to find out if your Tour is unlocked without a SIM from another network.

When I do the MEPD, MEP2 thing, what should it say if its unlocked?

Can someone who had their phone unlocked by Sprint post what it says please?

On my phone it says:

SIM Card: Security Disabled
    ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Personalization:
    SIM Disabled
    Network Active
    Network Subset Disabled
    Corporate Disabled
    07-26-09 10:54 PM
    Wow 9 pages and no one has posted on how to find out if your Tour is unlocked without a SIM from another network.

On my phone it says:

Personalization:
    SIM Disabled
    Network Active
    Network Subset Disabled
    Corporate Disabled

Mine says the same thing and sprint keeps telling me the phone is unlocked. However, if you see a few posts above, when a person enters the unlocked code into their Sprint Tour, the Network catagory changes to Inactive, from active.

Even if ours says Active, it may still be unlocked and will only utilize a gsm network in a foreign country. I speculate that when RIM sent the first batch of Sprint Tours locked, the unlock code they gave to Sprint and then to the end users were unlock codes to fully unlock the phone, where the user can utilize domestic and foreign gsm networks and sim cards.

The reason why sprint thinks our phones are unlocked is that according to their lists, our phone MEID's don't show up and therefore there isn't an unlock code. Basically RIM is saying to Sprint if the MEID isn't listed, RIM manufactured and set those Tours as unlocked straight from the factory, even though the Network catagory says Active.

I could be completely wrong, but this seems to me the only difference that will allow us to see if our phones are truly fully unlocked prior to trying it out in a foreign country.

I hope this helps.

GC
    07-26-09 11:03 PM

On my phone it says:

Personalization:
    SIM Disabled
    Network Active
    Network Subset Disabled
    Corporate Disabled
    If it says Network Active, it means it is locked to a specific network (verizon or Sprint)

Once you get the code, it will change to Network Inactive. This means it is unlocked and it will work with ANY GSM SIM card...
    07-26-09 11:07 PM

My dad has a Treo 700p and basic Digicel phone and I'm trying hard to convince him to migrate to the Tour. Please post if unlock and Digicel service worked for you. Also are you signing up for prepaid BIS from Digicel? If so is it a seamless transition between US Carrier and Digicel?

Thanks
    07-26-09 11:19 PM
    Mine only has this! I was given the code and there is no where to enter it. Please Helpppp!

07-26-09 11:32 PM
272 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD