Hi everyone!
    I had a Blackberry Bold 9650 from Sprint that I never activated and promptly sold to a person in China. I understand the phone is supposed to be unlocked out of the box. However, the person I sold it to is saying when he puts his SIM card in, it is saying the network service is locked.
    I was told by Sprint that he needs to be using a GSM card. Is this different than a standard SIM card in another country?
    I was on the phone with Sprint for an hour and that was the only answer they gave me.
    Are there specific instructions on setting up this phone in another country or is it possible there is a different SIM card the person should be buying?
    Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Vanessa
    10-13-10 11:51 AM
    I know that in the beginning Sprint rolled out the 9650 as being locked and then decided to sell it unlocked. This was only for a short while. You may have gotten one of the locked ones. All you need to do is get an unlock code for it. Then it will work for that person in China.
    10-13-10 08:40 PM
    Thanks for your help! I guess once he got into the phone, he found it to be unlocked but it has the "Activation Required" message on it. I forwarded him the info I found on the Crackberry forums so he can decide if he wants to get the MSL code.
    It is quite frustrating that Sprint can't/won't give you this information by phone. It would be nice if they were more flexible on these issues!
    Thanks again for your help!
    Vanessa
    10-13-10 10:51 PM
    Your welcome ...
    10-13-10 11:07 PM
    Thanks for your help! I guess once he got into the phone, he found it to be unlocked but it has the "Activation Required" message on it. I forwarded him the info I found on the Crackberry forums so he can decide if he wants to get the MSL code.
    It is quite frustrating that Sprint can't/won't give you this information by phone. It would be nice if they were more flexible on these issues!
    Vanessa
    We can get you the MSL code if needed
    10-15-10 01:52 PM
    Point him to this thread instead!! We can help him get the code if he wants it
    10-15-10 08:57 PM
    Did he end up getting it to work ??
    10-15-10 09:08 PM
    Vanessa
    It will still work without the MSL Code.
    10-18-10 11:44 PM
    It still works, but it's very annoying looking at activation required all the time!! as stated above, anyone in here can help you with that
    10-19-10 05:10 PM
    I have a unlocked blackberry 9650 from sprint and tmobile service but i cant seem to get internet service, I've troubleshooted with tmobile custoemr service and they couldnt figure it out. The Hout Routing section is empty. Plz help
    10-31-10 01:14 AM
    I have a unlocked blackberry 9650 from sprint and tmobile service but i cant seem to get internet service, I've troubleshooted with tmobile custoemr service and they couldnt figure it out. The Hout Routing section is empty. Plz help
    You need to load the Service Books to your phone. This should help. The method is the same for the 9630/9650/9530/9550

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/953...osting-328759/
    10-31-10 11:15 AM
    Same issues. New Guy here and I've posted this on few other threads so my apologies if I goofed up.

Sprint 9650 Bold.
    I have been going to ShangHai monthly for 5 years. I go about 3 times a month & stay for 2 days.
    I have a China Mobile sim card I have been using since 2005 and the voice and SMS work just fine. I added a small data package (not BIS/BES) about 5 months ago and have never gotten it to work. My phone always has "edge" and I am not roaming.
    If I take my sim card out and put it into an old 8100 I get data ok. If I put the sim card into an old Sony/Ericson I get data. I just can't get it on my Bold.

Went to China Mobile and compared one of their BB's to mine. I do not have the China Mobile service books. I've tried a hard reset several times and their SBs just don't get loaded.

I have been on the phone with Sprint, several times, and since it is not a Sprint sim card they say they can't run any diagnostics. They did send me 6 emails from "Activation Server" and told be they were for my service books and will help. I won't know until I go back in March.
    One rep said to make sure I select the 2G option. I have been using the 3G/2G option.
    Another rep said the Bold might simply be incompatable with their system. I wonder if my 5 year old sim card is a different technology.

Any suggestions?
    George747]
    02-21-11 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD