Two days ago my iPhone got stolen (as heartless AT&T is, they didn't even care. "We can replace your phone for full retail price." Blah blah blah. Not paying $400 for the Torch..yet.) My neighbor gave me his old Storm2 9550 forgetting I don't have Verizon. But, I knew they had the SIM slot, and I've heard of people unlocking their phones so I figured I would give it a try.

The only question is...how can I do this? When I go to buy the unlock code, do I need the MEP and IMEI? How can I get the internet and App World to work? How can I tell AT&T I need a BB data plan without telling them it's not an AT&T BB?

I'm so confused, and I was hoping I could get some direction. I'm sorry for all the questions but I just really want to get in touch with the world (Oh, and to get back on BBM. Lol.)

Edit: My parents have Verizon. I called pretending my mom was going to Europe and she needed the phone for work. I didn't know they won't unlock it if we can't prove that we bought it from Verizon. Fail.

Thanks.
    Last edited by paniconthedancefloor; 07-04-11 at 11:29 PM.
    07-04-11 11:25 PM
    You can get it unlocked by our various unlockers on the site. But you probably won't ever see AT&T giving you BIS on that phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-11 12:39 AM
    Heartless? AT&T? Why I've never heard those words go together. Feel free to contact concerning your unlocking needs though...
    07-05-11 12:44 AM
    You can get it unlocked by our various unlockers on the site. But you probably won't ever see AT&T giving you BIS on that phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Actually, I was thinking of some possible work arounds...I just wanted to make sure this would work before I did anything. I have a friend with a T-Mobile Curve (which is unlocked) BIS is BIS, right? Not different for different phones...so if I call AT&T, give them the IMEI of the Curve, they give me BIS....I stick my sim card in the Storm, Voila.

It's a T-Mobile Curve though. Is AT&T that smart? I have someone with an AT&T Curve too, I just figured I'd start with a phone that all GSM carriers have.
    07-05-11 06:59 AM
    Yes ATTs systems are that smart. Just a note to you, if you need any assistance with getting the BIS to work, service book wise, ATT will not assist other than sending service books from their admin system. If that does not resolve your issues, if you have any that is, then you will need to seek assistance elsewhere.
    07-05-11 07:05 AM
    Yes ATTs systems are that smart....
    and unfortunately with all the money they rake in from overpriced plans and stupid overage limits/charges they will be able to keep making those systems even smarter by hiring top-notch talent...
    07-12-11 08:54 PM
    Firstly, that sucks about your phone

Secondly, any reliable unlocker can unlock your phone if you tell them the network its locked to, the make/model, and the IMEI number.

Thirdly, you SHOULD be able to get service books from one of the Crackberry threads (sorry, I don't have a link to it but I've seen some around...just search). Once you find the service books (assuming the ATT ones won't work for you) get them to add BIS to your phone, give them the phone's IMEI and PIN and then load the new service books using the instructions on CB

You should be good to go. You don't have to hide the fact that your phone isn't from ATT. Heck, I'm in Canada using an AT&T 9800 with Rogers and they know damn well what I'm doing
    07-12-11 09:14 PM
    You should be good to go. You don't have to hide the fact that your phone isn't from ATT. Heck, I'm in Canada using an AT&T 9800 with Rogers and they know damn well what I'm doing
    I think that could be one of the biggest detriments people have with unlocking their phone and moving to another carrier. They think they need to hide what they are doing...
    07-14-11 09:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD