Forgive me if this sounds stupid. I have a Verizon 8330 and won an unlock code from the contests. What does this allow me to do? Activate my phone on a different carrier? What if I am locked in with verizon for another year or so? Is it then useless? Thanks for the help!
    09-01-09 09:59 AM
    Yes it unlocks it so you can use it on another carrier. I don't think that it would be of use to you if you are locked in for another year.
    09-01-09 10:05 AM
    Thats what I thought, maybe crackberry will allow me to give it to someone that can really use it
    09-01-09 10:10 AM
    Unlocking your phone would make it easier to sell. If it's unlocked, anyone on a CDMA carrier could buy it and use it; if it's not unlocked, it can only be used by Verizon customers.
    09-01-09 10:15 AM
    Unfortunately, whether still locked into a contract or not, the code is useless to you. You have a CDMA only device. The unlock code is for GSM devices, or world phones with GSM capabilities, so that you can use the phone with a different GSM carrier's SIM. If the 8330 was a world phone, then you would still be able to use the code.

Congratulations on winning though!
    Last edited by KasiCatastrophe; 09-01-09 at 10:21 AM.
    09-01-09 10:18 AM
    So if I have a Curve that is only 2 months old in perfect shape, I should unlock it and sell. Maybe money towards a new phone. How much could I get for this?
    09-01-09 10:19 AM
    NO you can't unlock a cdma phone the card is built in. A gsm phone has a removable (sim) card. Sprint and verizon use cdma technology and most other carriers use gsm.

When your contract is up you could check with sprint to see if you could swap to their network but I doubt it. There are a few small carriers that will activate cdma phones from different carriers.

BTW unlocks are cheap $20.00 bucks or less.
    09-01-09 10:25 AM
    So if I have a Curve that is only 2 months old in perfect shape, I should unlock it and sell. Maybe money towards a new phone. How much could I get for this?
    It would be pointless. Most CDMA carriers will not allow you to use a device that is not provided by them on their service.

Source

CDMA phones technically can be unlocked but not in the same sense that people think about GSM and iDEN unlocking. Since CDMA phones do not use a SIM card, they are sort of "hardwired" to the provider that sells them. Therefore, they can only be unlocked by the provider with a special code that they absolutely will not give out over the phone. This contrasts how you might call Cingular and have them give you an unlock code so you can travel overseas and use your GSM phone with a foreign SIM card. GSM phones can usually be unlocked remotely, but CDMA phones require a bit of 'reprogramming' to unlock, and it's not as simple as calling your provider and getting a code over the phone.

Generally, CDMA phones are NOT considered unlockable because it is usually impractical to do so. Sprint, my provider, will not under any circumstances activate a non-Sprint phone, so an unlocked CDMA phone would be useless to you if you use Sprint. Even if you get an unlocked CDMA phone and by some chance are able to have it activated with your provider, many of the features will not work correctly unless someone with quite a bit of technical knowledge reprograms the phone to your provider's specifications.

So, you can see where this is a very confusing subject. Even if you can unlock your CDMA phone, who is going to activate it for you? I suggest you call your CDMA provider, whether it's Sprint, Verizon, or whoever, and ask them if they will activate an unlocked Treo. Don't be surprised if they either act like they don't know what you're talking about, or even laugh at you for asking. You may have to ask for a level-2 tech person before you even get an acknowledgement that CDMA unlocking is possible. Your best chance is with a prepaid service, as they generally do not care where the phone comes from as long as you are buying their minutes, but I would still suggest calling them and asking before you spend the money on a phone.
    09-01-09 10:28 AM
    So it's deinatley worthless to me. Oh well, atleast I won something.

I guess I will ask crackberry to give it away because someone out there needs it more than me
    09-01-09 10:29 AM
    You might post a thread offering it to another poster...
    09-01-09 10:39 AM
    I just got the email from Express Unlock Code Team: All they want is the IMEI & the Network you are currently locked to. So I guess I can give it away. I would just enter the info of anyones phone and the code will be here next monday according to the email. So who wants it???
    09-01-09 10:41 AM
    gave away my unlock code to someone who really needs it. Thanks for everyones help!
    09-01-09 12:03 PM
    gave away my unlock code to someone who really needs it. Thanks for everyones help!

Paying it forward! Very nice gesture indeed.

Props to ya.
    09-01-09 12:39 PM
    Thanks Wricks, found someone on CB who needs it unlocked so his friend can bring it to Iraq and update his family on his saftey. So I feel as if I did my good deed for the day

Paying it forward, loved that movie!!

CB Rocks!!
    09-01-09 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD