04-09-09 02:00 PM
41 12
tools
    Either way if it is stolen you can report it to RIM. If they use it that would just make it more traceable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 08:58 AM
    If all else fails you can always call T-Mobile and ask for the unlock code, tell them you are leaving the country.... if you need to send it in it should be the same code as the third-party code... and they would have no way of knowing you got it from a third party.

I really don't understand why they would care if you got it unlocked by them or someone else... shouldn't effect the warranty since it really doesn't change the phone and they would do it for you if asked.
    03-18-09 09:42 AM
    Ive seen this alot so ill share something I found on the issue of unlocking .......

United States
    In the United States, one of the two national GSM carriers, T-Mobile [22], will unlock your handset if you have an active account in good standing for at least 90 days. As well, T-Mobile will unlock a phone if you pay full retail price and show proof of purchase through a faxed document. The other, AT&T Wireless [23], will usually do so after a period of 90 days or once you have concluded your contract, but may also unlock the phone in some other situations as well. Neither carrier is compelled to unlock phones by any law or regulation, and they may choose not to unlock certain phones. For example, AT&T has stated that they will not unlock the iPhones under any circumstances, even after customers are out of contract.[24]

In a 2006 submission to the US Library of Congress' Copyright Office with respect to DMCA exemptions, Stanford law professor, Jennifer Granick, specifically stated that the FCC does not prohibit handset locking.[25]

Regulations on unlocking
    In the United States the DMCA formerly was claimed to criminalize unlocking. However, an exemption that took effect 27 November 2006 specifically permits it, and will expire in three years but it can be renewed after that.[27] The exemption only applies to the actual unlocking, not to providing an unlocking device or service, see WIPO Copyright and Performances and Phonograms Treaties Implementation Act.

It will not void the manufacturers warranty. But I cannot speak on behalf of T-Mobile itself unless the manufacturers warranty is what TMO goes by. But anyways, why the **** WOULD they void it? Its the same code no matter who does it....a 3rd party, or T-MO
    Last edited by KingofHeart4711; 03-18-09 at 09:49 AM.
    03-18-09 09:47 AM
    Unlocking through a third party DOES void the warranty.
    I dont think sooooo
    03-18-09 11:57 AM
    This guy is correct ^^^

I don't know where you guys get your information, and maybe you did get away with certain things but it DOES void your warranty if it is not an unlock code given from your service provider. I have a family member that works for T-Mobile in General Care and they have told me time and time again unlocking your phone is a bad idea until you're ready to sell it. With T-Mobile, you have to have your phone on an active account for at least 90 days before being allowed to unlock it.

So just to cleanr things up:

One, it voids your warranty. Two, If someone steals your phone and its unlocked they can use it on ANY network. At least if it is still locked, they would have to have T-Mobile to use it. You're basically increasing the value for a thief, until you sell it.
    1. Your information is incorrect.

2. It does NOT void your warranty.

3. There is an unlock code that correlates to the IMEI on your device. If you get your phone unlocked by someone other than your carrier, it doesn't matter because the same code is put into the phone. They will not know the difference. By your logic the carrier voids their own warranty for their own customers. That doesn't make any sense at all because unlocking does not void the warranty.
    03-18-09 12:03 PM
    If they did void the warranty they would open themselves for a law suit....since you own the phone and your unlocking caused no damage (due to the fact that they themselves will unlock it for you using the same exact procedure and code). T-mobile is not Verizon.... they wouldn't risk a lawsuit that they would loose
    03-18-09 12:28 PM
    If they did void the warranty they would open themselves for a law suit....since you own the phone and your unlocking caused no damage (due to the fact that they themselves will unlock it for you using the same exact procedure and code). T-mobile is not Verizon.... they wouldn't risk a lawsuit that they would loose

yeah, well said.

unlocking will not void your warranty. Ive returned many phones in my past, phones that have been unlocked and the reps dont care whether its locked or not.. they could give a ...
    03-18-09 12:30 PM
    After reading this thread I wish I signed up for the code! But I figured, I'm staying with T-mobile, why bother? Oh, the agony. LOL.
    03-18-09 01:22 PM
    LOL... only reason for you to get the code is if you travel out of the country.... then you could use a third party SIM....
    03-18-09 01:28 PM
    After reading this thread I wish I signed up for the code! But I figured, I'm staying with T-mobile, why bother? Oh, the agony. LOL.
    No big deal. unless you're trying to use ure tmo phone with AT&T. Other than that, I dont know how often you leave the country, but even if you do, and for some reason decide that its crucial to have a cell phone while on vaca or something.. then you might need it unlocked to use international sim cards.
    03-18-09 03:41 PM
    When the Storm came out plenty of folks said they called Vzn and said they wanted it unlocked to use in Mexico, etc, then signed up with ATT or whoever. If there's one code for each IME/phone then how do the people that supply the codes in ads on Crackberry for free get ahold of them? Do they hack into the carriers data or what? It obviously can't be very hard. People on forums advertise they'll do it for money in their sigs all the time. It reminds me of programs you can get that strip off the DRM off of iTunes music. I'm just curious.
    03-18-09 03:56 PM
    I believe they have a legitimate business that sells the codes. They have to get them from RIM.

The give away was a publicity stunt!!
    03-18-09 03:58 PM
    Never deny a free service.

If opportunity knocks, answer the door...
    03-18-09 10:04 PM
    Who ever said that unlocking your phone doesnt void your warranty, it is true. Reason for that is because i had my previous 8900 unlocked, needed a replacement so i went to a store and i exchanged it. called in tmobile and requested for another unlock code because the one that i had requested for an unlock code before was returned. no questions asked he just went ahead and sent me a new unlock code.
    03-19-09 01:25 AM
    Hey everyone thanks for the feedback!!! I immediately went ahead and just unlocked my phone after reading everyones posts! Thanks again
    03-21-09 12:37 AM
    I'm on T-Mobile, and I got my free unlock code via a Cellunlock promo just today. I will unlock and see...
    04-09-09 02:00 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD