hi, i am new to the forums and have been a long time iphone user. i am on att and know a decent amount on unlocking phones and service providers. because att chargers the 30 dollar bis plan for any blackberry on their service, i decided to buy an unlocked 9700 so that the serial numbers and imei would come up as unregistered in the att network, making att unable to force me into a plan. i have the $10 data plan on att. i have seen online that the bb browser, bbm, and other apps that require bis will not work. i was wondering if there were any problems with other apps or the app market that are similar to this, and if there are any work arounds them. i am assuming that as long as i change the network settings to att's, the data will work fine. if you have any help or information relevant to this that i might need to know, please enlighten me .

and ps, im sorry if there are threads similar to this. i have looked but because i am new to the bb world a lot of it is confusing to me to piece together from different threads. thanks!
    Last edited by pcpshortbus; 01-10-10 at 02:48 PM.
    01-10-10 02:46 PM
    plain and time simple... nothing will work, you need a bb data plan... every packet of data the BB sends needs to go threw the BB servers... i have seen people being able to use generic plans and such, but its 50/50 that it will work... why not just spend the extra $20 and save the headache of trying to get things to work and just get the BB data?

there might be a way to get a BB to work with a generic data plan, but i dont know how... if someone does i'm sure they will post how... but i honestly think you should just opt for the BB data plan and save the headache good luck in your endeavor
    01-10-10 03:59 PM
    thanks, but spending that extra money each month is just too much for me. i have wifi almost everywhere i am during the day, so i dont feel it is really necessary to pay the extra money.
    01-10-10 04:04 PM
    For some apps it might be possible to use them through the apn settings you've entered manually, but a lot of them were designed for usage with a BB, through the BIS/BES servers...

As far as the browser is concerned, it probably depends on what software is preinstalled. When I got my blackberry my carrier had a browser installed that would work through a manually entered apn without a dataplan. As soon as my BB data plan was added and I registered, that browser was replaced by the Blackberry browser.

Either way, if you choose to go without the BB plan, you won't even get close to full functionality of the phone...

But to each their own of course
    Last edited by VeniceBB; 01-10-10 at 04:26 PM.
    01-10-10 04:21 PM
    most of the data applications and such wont work unless they support wi-fi
    01-10-10 04:35 PM
    ok i appreciate that help. like i said earlier, i was looking to get an unlocked 9700 that was not native to att. i was originally looking at tmobile, but if i were to buy a rogers phone, would it still work on att, and would i be able to bypass having to pay for the bis plan from att? thanks for the help.
    01-10-10 04:37 PM
    Why do you want a blackberry specifically then? May as well get a different phone that won't be crippled. Also t-mo 3G bands will not work on AT&T network. Period.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-10 04:56 PM
    i am looking to use a blackberry because i prefer the way the system works over apple and other "business" smart phones. i am not trying to cripple the phone,rather i am just trying to give up the bb native apps to save money. i have read online that opera mini browser can allow me to use the internet without a bis plan, so i am looking for things along those lines to be able to recoup the apps that might be lost due to not having a bis
    01-10-10 05:11 PM
    Ok, but BB's claim to fame is BIS, esp push email. Without these features enabled the phone's "system" is essentially nonexistent. I guess your best bet is to just get it and try it and see if it really fits your needs without its main features.

01-10-10 05:21 PM
    There are ways around it. From what we found, the only thing that we couldn't get to work was BBM and Blackberry Mail. There is information out there on how to do what you want, but honestly you're not going to find much love here on CB. Seriously, look elsewhere and don't get discouraged. The easy answer is, get the BB plan, but my friend has unlimited T-zones for $5.99 a month, so it was a considerable savings to get it to work. He used Shangmail and was experimenting with another email service that was free as well. It wasn't push email, but it polled every 15 mins or so. T-Mobile also directed him to a browser that didn't use BIS. He had to delete the one on his berry and reinstall the new one. Most apps worked as well. I myself use BIS so I can't be much help, but just wanted to give you some direction. Good luck!
    01-10-10 05:23 PM
    You could make it work with the limited data plan like others have been saying.

My only concern with your plan is that I don't think it's going to work. Att does random sweeps of their system. Just because you have an unlocked phone does NOT mean that they have no way of finding out. That SIM card is still connected to your ESN of the BB. When they randomly look at your account they will see that the ESN tied to the account is a BB, so they will just add the BB Data Plan to it. Yes they can do it, and yes they will. So while this might work for some time, don't be surprised when you have a larger bill because the BB Data was added on.
    01-10-10 05:31 PM
    thanks a lot risingsun, appreciate that help

i think i found a site that can help me get the "service book" up and working without bis. i guess i might just have to do what i can to play around with settings, find what i can on the internet and tweak everything possible to see what i can get working.
    01-10-10 05:31 PM
    ridesno, i am near certain that cingular will not know what phone it is if it wasnt manufactured by them. the people at cingular are not always the most helpful when i call 611, but i called a few times today and asked about it and they said that att would not be able to identify the phone. since ditching the iphone a few months ago i have been using a tmobile g1 while waiting to find a blackberry, and att still thinks i am on an iphone when i call.
    01-10-10 05:34 PM
    ridesno, i am near certain that cingular will not know what phone it is if it wasnt manufactured by them. the people at cingular are not always the most helpful when i call 611, but i called a few times today and asked about it and they said that att would not be able to identify the phone. since ditching the iphone a few months ago i have been using a tmobile g1 while waiting to find a blackberry, and att still thinks i am on an iphone when i call.
    Alright, as long as your certain. I had a unlocked Storm on Att a while ago, and they sure knew I had a BB when I nerver told them. So when it happens don't say you weren't told so.
    01-10-10 05:56 PM
    ok well i ended up getting a rogers unlocked bold 9000 instead of 9700. all the internet settings and voice settings worked as soon as i insterted my sim. how am i able to tell whether cingular knows what i am using? when i called a little while ago they said it was "urberunkown" or something like that. and is there any way to tell if i am currently on a bis plan?
    01-10-10 08:10 PM

01-10-10 08:21 PM
    ok sounds good. thanks a lot for all the help guys!
    01-10-10 08:36 PM
    one thing i dont understand is how a company can force you to take on a data plan like that... thats like someone making me buy a toaster when i dont want one...

NO company can make you do that... check your TOS if they can do that or not... it they can then i really suggest finding another carrier to go on... that is complete bull ****.... if my carrier tried to pull that, i would be gone faster then them saying "you cant remove it"... good bye! lol
    01-11-10 08:49 AM
    You dont need to have bis plan to get the unlocked blackberry working, all u need to do is load the at&t service books to ur blackberry and ull get mms/browser/maps ect. search in this forum
    01-11-10 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD