Hey guys,

I was lucky enough to get rogers (canada) to unlock my blackberry bold 9000 for me over the phone, but the tech guys didnt ask for my IMEI or any additional information. All they had was my phone number.
    Since I don't have another sim card from a different carrier to test it out, i was wondering if they were able to unlock my phone without having my IMEI.
    I checked Options>advanced options>SIM card .... instead of a blank white screen, I have:
    "SIM Card: Security Disabled
    ID : XXXXXXXX
    Phone number:
    +1xxxxxxxx (TELEPHONE) "

So by the looks of it, it is unlocked right?
    How come I didnt get the blank white screen when I selected Options>advanced options>SIM card
    Last edited by lolcowsmeow; 09-14-11 at 10:40 PM.
    09-14-11 10:38 PM
    You need to give them an imei to get an unlock code. In sim card menu, type mepd and see if it says disabled or inactive beside network.
    09-14-11 11:32 PM
    Hi,

If they gave you an unlock code, you entered it and it said " code accepted " it's unlocked 100%.

You need to have entered an unlock code, it can't be unlocked remotely by them.

Like freethisberry said when you check Options -> advanced options -> SIM card

if it says disabled or inactive for network it's unlocked for sure.

Let us know if you have any questions at all

Cheers

James
    09-15-11 12:02 AM
    hey guys, thanks for responding.

Oh wow, what a bunch of liars at rogers ....

I just entered MEPD ... and under network it still says it's active ... i was wondering why they didnt even need my IMEI .

EDIT-- just a quick update, i just got off the phone with rogers and the representative said:
    "you have to call customer retention, they can unlock it for you for 50 dollars" ... wow ... i don't know what i'm more pissed about ... the lying representatives or the ridiculously over priced unlock code. .. guess it's time for me to start looking for 3rd party unlockers.
    Last edited by lolcowsmeow; 09-15-11 at 02:30 AM.
    09-15-11 02:11 AM
    Wow

Rogers really does deserve it's nickname

"Robbers".

Nothing more anoying than waisting your time talking to network reps for hours.

Once in a while we give out a free unlock code at random to one of our customers

Today its you!

We'll give you the Unlock Code for free!

If you still need an unlock code just email me at James@BlackberryCodeSource.com
    With the phones model, IMEI and network it's locked to

Cheers,

James

hey guys, thanks for responding.

Oh wow, what a bunch of liars at rogers ....

I just entered MEPD ... and under network it still says it's active ... i was wondering why they didnt even need my IMEI .

EDIT-- just a quick update, i just got off the phone with rogers and the representative said:
    "you have to call customer retention, they can unlock it for you for 50 dollars" ... wow ... i don't know what i'm more pissed about ... the lying representatives or the ridiculously over priced unlock code. .. guess it's time for me to start looking for 3rd party unlockers.
    Last edited by BlackberryCodeSource; 09-15-11 at 06:52 AM.
    lolcowsmeow likes this.
    09-15-11 02:51 AM
    james!!!

Thank you! You just saved me
    09-15-11 03:07 AM
    Glad to see a happy ending
    09-15-11 12:19 PM
    Sorry for asking this but, Are you sure that you was talking with rogers?
    09-15-11 01:39 PM
    you do not need to give them the IMEI # since they have it in the database. All they needed was your cell # to pull up the record. Remember, when you bought the Bold, they scanned it in to the computer? well, that's when they captured all the pertinent info abt your device and associated it to your account.
    09-15-11 02:25 PM
    Hi lolcowsmeow,

No problem at all,

We're just glad we got your Bold unlocked.

I still can't believe Rogers tricked you like that, they really can be annoying.

Cheers,

James

james!!!

Thank you! You just saved me
    09-15-11 07:11 PM
    Sorry for asking this but, Are you sure that you was talking with rogers?
    I'm confident i was on the phone with rogers .... one of the reasons why i would believe that is because everytime i tried to contact them i had to wait at least 30 mins on hold , listening to their stupid commercials, annoying background music and robotic voice of the operator.
    I think i have enough brain cells to process who i'm talking on the phone with
    09-16-11 07:33 AM
    you do not need to give them the IMEI # since they have it in the database. All they needed was your cell # to pull up the record. Remember, when you bought the Bold, they scanned it in to the computer? well, that's when they captured all the pertinent info abt your device and associated it to your account.
    Yup, that's what I thought as well. And at first I thought maybe they had all the information they needed in their system aka the IMEI was associated with my phone number and hence they would be able to unlock it without asking for my IMEI... BUT! when i went options>advanced options>SIM card then typed "MEPD" ..... it showed:
    "Network Active" aka they bluntly just lied to me.

I understand that some of you(forum users, not just you) might have had or still have a great experience with rogers but unless you know someone within the company... they'll try to take(or steal) as much money as they can from you(just like any other major corporation).. you can't deny that, surely, i'm not here to blame rogers or start bad rumors about them, i simply asked whether my phone was unlocked... initially i thought it was a really nice gesture from their part to voluntarily unlock the phone for me as well but EVIDENTLY ... they lied to me... and this is something i can not get over. And they won't be gaining back my trust any time soon.
    Last edited by lolcowsmeow; 09-16-11 at 07:46 AM.
    09-16-11 07:39 AM
    Rogers usually never gives the code out. What they want you to think is that they unlocked your phone in their system for you to be able to use while roaming. To get a Blackberry unlocked there is no other way then entering the code or using a special software.

Glad you're unlocked. Enjoy your unlocked Blackberry.
    09-21-11 11:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD