My Rogers BlackBerry Bold's standby button was working intermittently for the past 2 weeks. The button pushes in, but it would actually enter standby when it wanted to. It is an issue, but since it was kind of working I didn't call Rogers right away. A few days ago I unlocked the phone using a code I purchased off eBay. I have now run into another issue, the speaker volume key while talking on the phone (right side) pushes in, but nothing happens when I try to adjust it louder. It will decrease the volume, but can't increase again. So now I'm stuck with a speakerphone volume I can barely hear. This is a problem I need fixed ASAP.

I call Rogers yesterday, explained the issue, had the IMEI # added to my account using the receipt, etc. All is good to go for a replacement.

She asks me if the phone is unlocked, I say yes, with specific reference and attention given to the fact that is was done by a CODE. She tells me this will probably void the warranty. I say no, it doesn't. She transfers me to the BlackBerry Technical Support Center (ones who deal with replacements/warrantys).

The guy tells me that since its unlocked its void (before even talking to me, this is what he said right away from what he gathered from the receiption woman) I continue to tell him its a code, I didn't open up the phone or use a turbo-SIM. No software involved. He continues to say its void. I ask the Rogers rep. "Is this a Rogers or RIM policy?" He says, "RIM".

I don't understand this, I mean, AT&T GIVES out unlock codes, are they purposely trying to have defective phones?

Then he says he can order one for me, but if RIM thinks that my issue is related to an unlock code, they'll charge me for the device! I say, "how much", he says it starts at $350. I say, "you're going to send me a bill and you don't even know the price?" Guy also is like, "Once you unlock the phone it can load any RIM OS". I said thats possible with a Rogers locked phone, I didn't debrand it, just put a code that thousands of people input.

Did I just get a bad, clueless person on the phone or is he right, that the code caused my issue? I would like adivce on how to deal with this issue. Its pretty ridiculous. Thanks.
    Last edited by Matt_25; 06-12-09 at 11:38 AM.
    06-12-09 11:34 AM
    An unlock code for any phone will void its warranty, whether or not you used a code, a sim unlocker tool or whatever, If you do a warranty claim on a Blackberry and the warranty is void (i.e. unauthorized software upgrades, liquid/physical damage, unlocking) then you get charged for the phone itself
    06-12-09 12:30 PM
    An unlock code for any phone will void its warranty, whether or not you used a code, a sim unlocker tool or whatever, If you do a warranty claim on a Blackberry and the warranty is void (i.e. unauthorized software upgrades, liquid/physical damage, unlocking) then you get charged for the phone itself
    Even when other carriers (such as AT&T) give out unlock codes for free?
    06-12-09 12:58 PM
    I just emailed RIM and asked them the exact question.. It doesn't make sense that carrier in the US give away codes that will void the warranty of the device. I think Rogers just tells people that so they purchase one of the "international roaming plans"

I will post the reply email when i get it.

I would always recommend not telling Rogers that your phone is unlocked ever just to be safe. Its highly unlikely that they will even check that in the settings when it's sent in.
    06-12-09 01:39 PM
    So I just called Roger BB tech support and the guy stated that it could entering the unlock code "flashes the ROM" LOL and that if RIM determines that the issues to your phone happened after you unlocked it than it could void your warranty. Rogers has no clue what they are talking about. Just don't tell them it's been unlocked.
    06-12-09 01:50 PM
    Those kind of questions are when you play dumb...

"Is your phone unlocked?"
    "Just a minute... *,{phone key}... OK. its unlocked, I'm on the home screen... what do you need me to do?"
    06-12-09 02:42 PM
    you can always re-lock the device and then won't have to worry about the unlocking being the problem. But your issue is hardware specific (speaker/button) not software related. If the phone was freezing or something then it might be because of the unlocking. It does infact void your warranty but like I said if you can get it re-locked you might be ok. At the very least if you get a replacement and they charge you then you can call retentions and explain that it was a hardware issue and not related to it being unlocked and say you want it credited back or else your walking.
    06-12-09 03:17 PM
    Those kind of questions are when you play dumb...

"Is your phone unlocked?"
    "Just a minute... *,{phone key}... OK. its unlocked, I'm on the home screen... what do you need me to do?"
    Real talk
    Call back and tell them nothing about unlock codes
    Tellem you were talking about a password when she asked if it was unlocked, you told her you entered your code, now its unlocked

Even if they get the phone back unlocked, they won't even say anything.. Or bill you

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-09 03:18 PM
    I only told her it was unlocked because she asked.

06-12-09 03:23 PM
    Those bunch of *******
    The warranty covers MANUFACTURE defects
    That means, anything physical that you didn't do, or that were improperly input

Non rebounding Buttons
    Buttons that don't work
    Scratchy Speakers
    Bad lcd Screen
    Overheating rom
    Bluetooth radio nonworking
    Wifi nonworking
    Radio non working

ANYTHING hardware that doesn't work acceptably to standards

Anything software is semi warrantied, (unless you are running beta software. Tip:downgrade before you send call in, they will know which os you are running)

With your phone in your hand, anything you type or touch or scroll or click on, is exactly what the phone was meant to do. If you type an unlock code in the phone you didn't do anything other than type as if it were in bbm. It doesn't matter what was on the screen, they can't void your warranty if they didn't explicitly tell you that in this specific situation, that if you type those exact combination of letters and numbers on that exact screen, you will void your warranty. What a joke

If your phone has problems that's rims problem, not yours. That's like them telling me "since you used the media player with music from a 3rd party sd card, we won't replace your phone whose gsm radio will not come out os sos"

Bs
    You'll get your phone..

06-12-09 03:29 PM
    you can always re-lock the device and then won't have to worry about the unlocking being the problem. But your issue is hardware specific (speaker/button) not software related. If the phone was freezing or something then it might be because of the unlocking. It does infact void your warranty but like I said if you can get it re-locked you might be ok. At the very least if you get a replacement and they charge you then you can call retentions and explain that it was a hardware issue and not related to it being unlocked and say you want it credited back or else your walking.
    Where you ever told that the code flashes the ROM? That makes no sense whatsoever LOL. Also how does entering the code causes software issues. From what I know all it does is turn off the SIM lock. I could be wrong, but without actually flashing the ROM with software there isn't much else it could do.

Carriers do not want you to unlock phones because you buy the phone at a subsidized rate on a contract, but if you unlock it then you can cancel your contract and go elsewhere with that subsidized phone and you Carrier cannot make the money back through your contract.
    06-12-09 03:44 PM
    the code does unlock the phone and doesn't re-flash it, de-branding re-flashes it and will void the warranty and cause software issues. Anyway, whatever, like i said just call and get a replacement and if they give you **** just call retentions and get it taken care of that way.
    06-12-09 04:16 PM
    That is exactly what the guy I spoke with said. He said, "unlocking through code flashed the ROM". Then he said, "unlocking allows you to install any RIM OS" LOLOL. I said, that's debranding, not unlocking with a code.
    Thanks for the advice, keep it coming. I bet your all just as shocked as me when I was told the warranty was void. Stupid.

06-12-09 04:34 PM
    That is exactly what the guy I spoke with said. He said, "unlocking through code flashed the ROM". Then he said, "unlocking allows you to install any RIM OS" LOLOL. I said, that's debranding, not unlocking with a code.
    Thanks for the advice, keep it coming. I bet your all just as shocked as me when I was told the warranty was void. Stupid.

Debranding lets you rebrand to anynetwork, with their subset of requirements and applications and rules (att 3g, verizon gps), including the rim development features, such as the engineering screens. Debranding to the rim factory firmware unlocks possibilities RIM never allowed comsumers access to. Carrier firmware is what we are allowed to work on, and the os's are what we are allowed to play with.

Unlocking using sw, might do more than simply unlock and that we may never know for sure.
    Changing os's doesn't void your warranty BUT THEY WILL NOT SUPPORT ANY PROBLEM YOUR BB IS HAVING SHOULD YOU BE RUNNING UNTESTED SW WHEN YOU ASK FOR "HELP"

Mfi Debranding and unlocking= void
    Unlocking with code = I could unlock your phone for you for a surprise, and you'd never know.. Don't tell me if I type on my phone I void my warranty.....

"The pre is void if you type the konami code"
    "The iphone is void if you go to blackberry.com on sundays"
    Cmon

06-12-09 08:39 PM
    Debranding lets you rebrand to anynetwork, with their subset of requirements and applications and rules (att 3g, verizon gps), including the rim development features, such as the engineering screens. Debranding to the rim factory firmware unlocks possibilities RIM never allowed comsumers access to. Carrier firmware is what we are allowed to work on, and the os's are what we are allowed to play with.

Unlocking using sw, might do more than simply unlock and that we may never know for sure.
    Changing os's doesn't void your warranty BUT THEY WILL NOT SUPPORT ANY PROBLEM YOUR BB IS HAVING SHOULD YOU BE RUNNING UNTESTED SW WHEN YOU ASK FOR "HELP"

Mfi Debranding and unlocking= void
    Unlocking with code = I could unlock your phone for you for a surprise, and you'd never know.. Don't tell me if I type on my phone I void my warranty.....

"The pre is void if you type the konami code"
    "The iphone is void if you go to blackberry.com on sundays"
    Cmon

Yes, exactly. So when I call what exactly should I say? That the phone is unlocked as you know, and it was done by code, but that has no bearing on the hardware issues of my phone?

For sure SIM unlocking the device will not translate into the standby and volume increase key issues I am having right?
    06-12-09 08:45 PM
    Wow I love the agent that is really smart.

Think of this unlocking is typing in a password. Its not an ammendment of the operating functions of the phone.

Honestly they are ******** they won't even check I bet. I have at the past gotten this kind of bs. They are just on crack.

06-13-09 04:21 PM
    Is everyone sure it doesn't flash a ROM chip to unlock it? Switching out the OS doesn't re lock the thing so I suspect it stays resident somehow.

My best guess is it is stored in ROM at a remote location, but they might be worried something went wrong during the write. Just a guess though. It has happened to me before when I used to make firmware for embedded devices.
    06-13-09 04:45 PM
    Dealing with Rogers is always sooooo complicated! See how it always turns out we know more about their job than they do.
    06-21-09 06:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD