OK
    I see lots of places sell unlock codes.
    I also know I can call Verizon and get a code from them.

Is there any difference in what the pay service codes will do
    versus the Verizon code? A friend said he is paying for the code
    as that unlocks the phone more when using another carriers card.

I guess what I am asking is: Is there any reason I should pay for a code
    versus calling Verizon?

Thanks!

PS Love the tour except how it makes you crop pics for various things
    08-07-09 08:58 AM
    Feel free to use the search button a the top. This has been asked a countless number of times.

You can use a pay site if you don't want to talk to verizon global support, or if you have not been with Verizon for more than 6 months.

If you have been with big red for 6 months or more, just call up global support and they will do it for free.

There is no difference in unlocks. An unlock is an unlock.
    08-07-09 09:21 AM
    Feel free to use the search button a the top. This has been asked a countless number of times.

You can use a pay site if you don't want to talk to verizon global support, or if you have not been with Verizon for more than 6 months.

If you have been with big red for 6 months or more, just call up global support and they will do it for free.

There is no difference in unlocks. An unlock is an unlock.
    +1. VZW Global support unlocked me in 5 minutes. For free! Did my 8830 a couple of years ago, and now the Tour. IMHO, paid unlocking is a waste of $ IF you meet VZW requirements (length of time as a customer, etc.).
    08-07-09 10:38 AM
    Alright, ******** question, and mind the slight hijack, but what is the purpose for people locking their phones, besides going to another provider with them?
    08-07-09 10:44 AM
    Alright, ******** question, and mind the slight hijack, but what is the purpose for people locking their phones, besides going to another provider with them?
    It allows you to use foreign sim cards in foreign countries where the phone rates may be 1/3 or 1/2 what they are using a US carrier's card overseas. That way local callers over in those countries can call your phone with a local number rather than calling your US number (an international call)

You do wind up with a different phone number and data may or may not be available with such foreign sim cards.
    08-07-09 12:21 PM
    No difference except maybe the price.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD