Hello. I apologize in advance if this has been asked before but I really need to know ASAP!
    Facts:
    = I recently got the Bold 9700 from Digicel Panama (carrier)
    = The phone is locked
    = Moving to the U.S on Thursday
    = Planning to bring the phone and use it there

I read somewhere on here that the carrier should give you the code to unlock the phone, however I tried that and they said no. Which leads me to my question...

The guy also said that even if I do unlock it, I won't be able to use data services from any other carrier. He said I would be able to call and text but nothing internet-related would work because [blah blah blah, unnecessary crap].

I need to know if this is true.

Help?
    06-09-10 03:45 AM
    So the rep explained to you why it wouldn't work but all you heard was "blah blah blah, unnecessary crap" Maybe you should of listened...

Also, if you need as answer so bad a better thread title than "quick question" would help everyone out.

To answer your question though, it depends. If you sign up for a 1 or 2 year contract with Att or Tmobile and get a BlackBerry Data Plan, then yes you will be able to use all the internet and related services. Depending on what version of the 9700 you have, you might or might not get 3G service.

If you use a prepaid plan, then no you won't be able to use internet and email. You can browse the internet when connected to wifi, but without a BlackBerry Data Plan the phone is very limited in what it can do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-10 04:10 AM
    Just unlock the device and sign up for any GSM carrier such as T-Mobile or AT&T. Since you have a device of your own you will cannot be forced to be on any contract. Just add the appropriate BlackBerry Data Plan and you will be set to go.
    06-10-10 02:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD