I'm hoping this will be the easiest question you blackberry pros have seen for a while, so here goes.

I have a BlackBerry 9000 Bold on mobile network Orange (United Kingdom). I had always assumed that it was locked as soon as I got it, and now I want to unlock it so that it can be used in a different country with another native mobile network.

So, here goes: I go to

Options > advanced options > SIM card

It says at the top Sim Card: Security Disabled

Typed MEPD, and got:

Personalization: (blank)
    SIM: Disabled
    Network: Disabled
    Network subset: Disabled
    Service Provider: Disabled
    Corporate: Disabled
    Phone Number: 07.......

I'm led to believe from other BB websites that this means that my phone is totally unlocked, but I'd like a confirmation from people who know what they're talking about /unlike me/ and that it can be used with any other European mobile network and their SIM?

I will try to put my old Vodafine SIM pay-as-you go SIM card when I get home, but I'm itching to know now

Cheers
    12-07-11 07:15 AM
    To comfirm, it is unlocked. If it says disabled/inactive beside network or service provider, then it is definitely unlocked.
    12-07-11 08:10 AM
    Thank you!

I am just wondering now how the **** did it get unlocked? I am 99% positive that the phone arrived locked, as I've never ever received a mobile phone on a UK contract that was not locked.

The only thing that springs to mind is that few months ago I have upgraded the OS from 4 to 5, but I assumed that this certainly wouldn't unlock the phone!?
    12-07-11 08:38 AM
    No that certainly does not unlock the device. Maybe it come unlocked and you just got lucky.
    12-07-11 09:12 AM
    Informative post. Thank you...
    12-07-11 12:55 PM
    Yes it is unlocked already
    12-08-11 10:13 AM
    Your Blackberry is unlocked.. you can use it with any carrier you like on the gsm network using a sim card.
    12-08-11 12:11 PM
    I'm hoping this will be the easiest question you blackberry pros have seen for a while, so here goes.

I have a BlackBerry 9000 Bold on mobile network Orange (United Kingdom). I had always assumed that it was locked as soon as I got it, and now I want to unlock it so that it can be used in a different country with another native mobile network.

So, here goes: I go to

Options > advanced options > SIM card

It says at the top Sim Card: Security Disabled

Typed MEPD, and got:

Personalization: (blank)
    SIM: Disabled
    Network: Disabled
    Network subset: Disabled
    Service Provider: Disabled
    Corporate: Disabled
    Phone Number: 07.......

I'm led to believe from other BB websites that this means that my phone is totally unlocked, but I'd like a confirmation from people who know what they're talking about /unlike me/ and that it can be used with any other European mobile network and their SIM?

I will try to put my old Vodafine SIM pay-as-you go SIM card when I get home, but I'm itching to know now

Cheers
    You are absolutely right, your Blackberry is unlocked
    12-08-11 04:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD