Hi everyone,

I took a read on the similar threads/posts and didn't see anything that was similar to what I need to ask, however if these questions have been asked before and I simply missed the threads, please accept my sincerest apologies.

Basically, I am looking to add a little margin to my sales in my newly opened store and would like to offer a Blackberry unlocking service. I believe that the software I purchased to do so can only unlock GSM based phones however. I believe this because I have attempted to unlock several Koodo based phones, and I can't seem to do it, despite my software being able to generate an unlock code for the imei and mep provided. Koodo I believe is strictly an HSPA network (at least from what I have read and understand it to be).

I have been completely successful in unlocking any Rogers Blackberry, and have yet to try to unlock a Fido, Bell, Virgin Mobile or Wind berry. My understanding is that Bell and Virgin are both HSPA and GSM compatible, Fido is GSM and Wind is sort of a Rogers/Fido mutant running on the same type of network but a different frequency.

Anyway, I want to be able to provide this service with confidence, however, I am not really sure why my unlocking software would only work for GSM. If that's the case, I'll have to market it as such and would then only be able to provide the service to 30-40% of my customers.

If you could share a site that would enlighten me on this or share your knowledge of such things, I would be very thankful.
    09-11-12 11:42 PM
    I don't have all the answers to your questions because the bulk of the phones we unlock are from UK networks - all of which are GSM. But I've got some insight that should help.

GSM networks are those that require a SIM card. When you unlock a phone, you are telling the phone to accept any SIM card. As long as the codes you have are correct for the phone, you should always be successful in unlocking them.

CDMA phones don't require a SIM card, which might be the route of your problem here. I'm unsure how you switch a network on a CDMA phone, but I'd imagine it varies and what you are in-fact attempting to unlock, isn't what is preventing the phone from switching.

The case may simply be that some phones cannot be unlocked and you will have to alter your marketing to reflect this. We have done and as we learn which networks and phones are capable of being unlocked - we adapt.

I hope that helps.
    09-12-12 05:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD