Hi everyone, I have been doing quite a bit of research on unlocking a Blackberry, but there are a couple of things that I still don't understand. I'm hoping someone in the forums can help:

In case it matters, these questions pertain to a Storm 2 currently on Verizon.

1) If I have unlocked my device, and I go overseas and buy a SIM card to use while there, does that change my phone number until I replace the SIM/get back home and on Verizon?

2) I have my corporate email, gmail, etc being pushed to my device right now. Should all of that continue to work without a hitch if I am overseas and using a new SIM card?

3) I was reading the Unlock instructions at expressunlockcode, and they seem to imply that after unlocking the phone, you need to re-set up the service books again, but they only include instructions for AT&T and T-Mobile. Do you have to do this for Verizon as well?

I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance, and I apologize if any of these are stupid questions!
    Last edited by merc1286; 11-10-09 at 04:20 PM.
    11-10-09 03:44 PM
    Hi everyone, I have been doing quite a bit of research on unlocking a Blackberry, but there are a couple of things that I still don't understand. I'm hoping someone in the forums can help:

In case it matters, these questions pertain to a Storm 2 currently on Verizon.

1) If I have unlocked my device, and I go overseas and buy a SIM card to use while there, does that change my phone number until I replace the SIM/get back home and on Verizon?

Yes it does.

2) I have my corporate email, gmail, etc being pushed to my device right now. Should all of that continue to work without a hitch if I am overseas and using a new SIM card?

It must have a BIS plan

3) I was reading the Unlock instructions at expressunlockcode, and they seem to imply that after unlocking the phone, you need to re-set up the service books again, but they only include instructions for AT&T and T-Mobile. Do you have to do this for Verizon as well?

Yes for every carrier pretty simple.

I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance, and I apologize if any of these are stupid questions!

Hope I have answered everything for you.
    11-10-09 04:56 PM
    You did answer all of my questions... thanks! But of course I have some follow-up questions:

When you say "It must have a BIS plan", I assume you mean that the SIM card must have a BIS plan. But my corporate email comes through a BES server. Will that still work? Or do I need to look for a SIM card with a plan that supports BES servers as well? Or is that simply not possible?

Thanks again!
    11-10-09 05:55 PM
    If you are on a BES than you will need one with a BES plan on it.
    11-10-09 05:56 PM
    You did answer all of my questions... thanks! But of course I have some follow-up questions:

When you say "It must have a BIS plan", I assume you mean that the SIM card must have a BIS plan. But my corporate email comes through a BES server. Will that still work? Or do I need to look for a SIM card with a plan that supports BES servers as well? Or is that simply not possible?

Thanks again!
    Basically when you sign up with the provider you need to tell them that you want to be on BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server). Most providers offer BIS or BES, so if you need to get your BES corporate email, make sure they add BES on your account and you will be fine.

If you need help let us know
    11-12-09 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD