If a Verizon 9650 is unlocked, will it work perfectly with T-Mobile? As in 3G coverage and the whole 9 yards? As if it were a T-Mobile phone to begin with? Or are there significant drawbacks?

Same question for Sprint phones, too, in case there is a significant difference between which company it's originally for.

I'm not doing an unlock on my own; it's staying Verizon. But I found another one for a good price and my brother (on T-Mobile) is looking to upgrade, so I'm putting in my research. If the phone will work flawlessly on T-Mobile with no issues and no hitches, I'll probably look into it.

Thanks!
    02-02-11 08:47 PM
    Nope only on 2G ...
    02-03-11 10:47 AM
    If a Verizon 9650 is unlocked, will it work perfectly with T-Mobile? As in 3G coverage and the whole 9 yards? As if it were a T-Mobile phone to begin with? Or are there significant drawbacks?

Same question for Sprint phones, too, in case there is a significant difference between which company it's originally for.

I'm not doing an unlock on my own; it's staying Verizon. But I found another one for a good price and my brother (on T-Mobile) is looking to upgrade, so I'm putting in my research. If the phone will work flawlessly on T-Mobile with no issues and no hitches, I'll probably look into it.

Thanks!
    Hello moo cow....
    You can get the unlock codes for your mobile from the website The Unlock Spot.com - Unlock you phone at the unlock spot! with instruction.Unlocking through codes is a very easy/safer method.
    03-23-11 04:44 PM
    you will only get EDGE, not 3G. but also keep in mind, lots of people (myself included) have had no luck in getting a CDMA phone like the Storm 2 or the 9650 to work well on a GSM network. the service books dont like to stay and you have to do alot of extra work just to get it going. in the end, it most likely wont.

your best bet is getting a 9700 or 9780 for use on t-mobile to take advantage of their 3G network with no problems.
    03-24-11 03:48 AM

Thanks!
    Yes unfortunately only 2g and getting the service books over can be a pain. Not to mention there are sometimes glitches and reception problems that come to unlocking that phone. But at the same time it will work 99% of the time and there shouldn't be any huge issues that somebody on the forums can't help you figure out!
    04-03-11 02:40 PM
    I have purchased a Unlocked 9650 from Verizon USA. I have brought it to India. I tried connecting it on Vodafone GSM network. The voice & SMS works but data service do not work. Tried calling Vodafone. They are unable to send service books. I cannot register Host Routing Table. Please help with what settings need to be done to get EDGE working?
    05-17-11 11:29 PM
    Can I upgrade the OS of unlocked Verizon 9650? On upgrade will the phone lock itself?
    05-17-11 11:30 PM
    The phone will not lock itself if you upgrade.

The SMS and Voice will work, for DATA you would need to set up the service books, this is easier for the more popular carriers, but not so easy for niche carriers in smaller countries.

In general if you use an unlocked phone the data access will be limited, if it all functioning. Especially with the Verizon Blackberries..
    05-18-11 02:20 AM
    to answer one question. yes you can get data services moved over to your new phone, try googling it, probably your best bet. and the other one, once you unlock your phone it's always unlocked! no way to re-lock it.
    05-20-11 08:15 PM
    Can I upgrade the OS of unlocked Verizon 9650? On upgrade will the phone lock itself?
    Once unlocked, you can upgrade/downgrade, wipe the phone and it will never relock. Blackberry unlocking is permanent.
    05-21-11 01:15 AM
    Yup its permanent indeed
    05-21-11 03:59 PM
    Great thing about Blackberry and most other phones.
    05-24-11 03:37 PM
    won't harm your phone or void your warranty either! just stuck on edge and unlocking a u.s. phone for overseas especially is tough trying to get the service books working
    05-24-11 10:03 PM
    on top of that it will increase the overall value of your phone and you can switch carriers without having to buy a new phone. it sucks that you won't get 3g and dealing with trying to get service books, but the overall benefits of unlocking are worth it for such reasonable prices.
    05-29-11 02:40 PM
    Agree with both unlockthatphonecom and Unlockingauthoritycom....
    07-31-11 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD